Any Ebay sellers here? Are you going to stick around or go elsewhere?

timswim78
timswim78 Posts: 38
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
So, it sounds like sellers are really upset about ebay's new fees and rules. Are their any ebay sellers here? How do you feel about the rule and fee changes? Do you plan on continuing to use ebay, or will you explore other ways of selling things?
Post edited by timswim78 on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Craigslist....forget fleabay.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    Active seller on Audiogon and eBay, no plans to go elsewhere - it's a cost of doing business, and (eBay) offers the best exposure for what I sell (audio gear) to a global market.

I don't do craigslist for sales, too many flakes, too many people that will 'be right over' that you never hear from again, and too much time wasted on emails and phonecalls.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    I just signed up w/ ebay to POSSIBLY buy a pr/ Monitor 10's. No one is bidding on them, and I have NO IDEA what they're worth?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • timswim78
    timswim78 Posts: 38
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    I just signed up w/ ebay to POSSIBLY buy a pr/ Monitor 10's. No one is bidding on them, and I have NO IDEA what they're worth?

This pair went for $300 plus $46.01 for shipping. To get an idea of what things are worth, you can search for completed listings on ebay. Also, you can check out Audiogon for price checks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Model-10-Vintage-speakers_W0QQitemZ200195276487QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    I can't use CL for my selling....not enough of a local market and I need national exposure.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »

I don't know which ones you are looking at. But I personally wouldn't pay more than $200.00 shipped for a pair of tens. They would have to be mint and have the peerless tweeters.

As for the sale that went for $300+ shipping that was our buddy mike that is here on Club Polk. That was what they were worth to HIM. He wanted them bad and was willing to pay for them. I think that is the highest a pair of 10's has ever sold for on ebay. Go Mike.:D

Edit: As for being a ebay seller. I'm not going anywhere.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Ed(esavinon) got the best pair of 10's from me with peerless. Cheap too! $100-$200 shipped for 10's is fine.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited February 2008
    Will still use e-bay but I only buy/sell about 10-12 items a year. It's a global marketplace and offers opportunities you just can't find elsewhere. They are constantly tweaking their business model to not only be profitable but provide the best solutions to a rapidly changing on-line marketplace.

There still is nothing else like it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited February 2008
    The costs to sell on ebay are just the cost of doing business. I sell a few things per year and have sold stuff that I would have never been able to without that exposure.
    [
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    What Russ said.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    timswim78 wrote: »
    This pair went for $300 plus $46.01 for shipping. To get an idea of what things are worth, you can search for completed listings on ebay. Also, you can check out Audiogon for price checks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Model-10-Vintage-speakers_W0QQitemZ200195276487QQihZ010QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks! I've never gone on line for buying stuff. Prefer to buy at stores, but I want a pair of 3ways for head bangin'!:p
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    No plans to leave....as the wife uses my account to buy books and stuff. I have to reach a larger audience and eBay is still the largest online marketplace.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited February 2008
    I don't have any immediate plans to leave, as I only sell a handful of items on eBay each year and don't want to spend the time and effort to move to another site. I will probably look at Craigslist first (and of course, Club Polk) before going to eBay, though.

There was a good article on CNN.com about where some eBayers are moving to:
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0802/gallery.ex_ebay_sellers.fsb/index.html

If I sold more items and was dependent upon the income from my sales, I would definitely look at other options as a natural way to keep my costs low and my profit margins up.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    Is paypal raising their fees, or just eBay for sellers?

I sold something and PP took 3%. Then, the next day I sold something and they took 4%. Not sure what the difference was. I did get a reminder that I'm over my "limit" and need to become verified. Didn't know there was an imposed "limit" when I have credit in the account, not like I owe anything.

I've never sold on eBay. Buy there a lot, but never sell. Too much hassle. Too much risk of having something sell for under value. I sell on CL or here and very occassionally on Agon. I don't sell often, though.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2008
    I cancelled my PayPal account just recently, then signed back in with a different e-mail and bank account. No fees anymore, but I have a limit of $500 that I can withdraw a month. No biggie since Paypal is the last resort anyways.

As for E-bay, I'll buy once in a while, but I try to stay away from audio gear.

I laughed at my friend when he said all his Wii profits went to Paypal and E-bay fees. I think he got $70 extra for the Wii he sold, most of it went to all these fees. I told him for items like that, Craigslist is much better. If it doesn't sell there, then E-bay.