Directv did it to me again.

Rivrrat
Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
All I want to do is upgrade one receiver to an HD/dvr receiver. Three weeks ago, I took a vacation day for them to come out and install a new dish and receiver. Well, they couldn't do it because I didn't have two rg6 coax's to the receiver. it would've been nice if they would've said something when I placed the order, but I guess something like that isn't important enough to think about.

So I installed two rg6 home runs, and called them back to do the install. They asked if I had a two story house, and since I do, they'd send someone out with an appropriate ladder.

Today they show up......With a short ladder, and they can't do the install.

Dispite their supervisors protests about scheduling, they ARE coming back AT four tomorrow to do my install. No more "we'll be there sometime between 12 and four", They're working on my time schedule now.:mad:
My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
Post edited by Rivrrat on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    I had a similar issue; they failed to show up once, and the next time they didn't bring a long enough ladder.

I sent an email to CS, and I got a nice apologize email....with a $100 credit.

Complain....it will pay at least for the time you lost ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2008
    Thanks, I think I'll be doing that.
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited February 2008
    I also had issues trying to upgrade to a hd/dvr.....the installers cancelled FIVE TIMES.After the fourth cancellation I gave them an ultimatium,make the next appointment or I'm switching providers.
    I'm currently a Dish Network customer and wish I would have done it long ago...better equipment and better picture.;)
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2008
    I'd drop them in a heartbeat, if my employer (Qwest) wasn't a reseller. I get an employee discount (not much) and I can have the bill added in with my phone and dsl.

I chewed on the tech's supervisor pretty good today, I'm betting I won't have a problem tomorrow. :mad:
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    mrmusicman wrote: »
    I'm currently a Dish Network customer and wish I would have done it long ago...better equipment and better picture.;)

You're fooling yourself there. Maybe the picture quality was better a year ago, but not now, the new MPEG4 HD channels from D* are pristine. How can you say the equipment is better? Dish's HDDVR doesn't even have native pass-through last time I checked.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    You're fooling yourself there. Maybe the picture quality was better a year ago, but not now, the new MPEG4 HD channels from D* are pristine. How can you say the equipment is better? Dish's HDDVR doesn't even have native pass-through last time I checked.

Uhm .... who/what is "D*" ?
    Sal Palooza
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
    I am not sure there is enough space here to tell my wonderful stories of Directv private contractor hell in MN here, but I will offer this piece of advice:

If they call and try to resced. and you say "no" then call directv directly and file a complaint, they give you a $100 credit to your bill. It is listed in the terms of your agreement with them. I currently have $750 of unused credit with them.....Think about it. If someone is having a massive problem, send me a pm and I can give you some of the information about that.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    Uhm .... who/what is "D*" ?

It's the PC way some other forums make you use instead of spelling out directv :rolleyes: I am still pissed over them breaking up the HD package now and wanting another 5 bucks for a few more HD channels :mad:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dephinistr8
    dephinistr8 Posts: 61
    edited February 2008
    It's the PC way some other forums make you use instead of spelling out directv :rolleyes: I am still pissed over them breaking up the HD package now and wanting another 5 bucks for a few more HD channels :mad:

I'm with you on that man. I didn't even realize the did that until I tried to tune into UHD and it said I didn't pay for it.
    Honestly, if it weren't for NFL Sunday Ticket, I would probably just have regular cable or Dish Network.

About the 2 lines to the DVR, you don't HAVE to have that. The DVR will work fine with 1 feed. It's more of a convenience for recording one show while watching another. I think tech support/the installers jobbed you on that one...
    The Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk FXi3
    Rears: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Polk PSW125
    AVR: Denon 3808CI
    TV: Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP (WD-65833)
    Game Console: Xbox360
    Game Console/Blu-Ray: PS3
    Satellite: DirecTV HD-DVR (HR21)
    HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A35
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 890 Pro

2 Channel Setup

AVR: Pioneer VSA-910
    Speakers: Klipsch KG4 (from 1985)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2008
    I have Direct.......they are approaching the heights of Paypal on the Suckiocity meter.

Expecially these contractors they hire, who then say its DTV's fault, as they do not pay them or pay very slow. The good news for Direct is they can't keep up with demand for their programming and I agree the TV picture is awesome. So they hire any goober with a truck and small ladder, its potluck, I have had a few good installers come by though. I had to throw one of them of the property, yes, I threw him with my hands off my property, he simply could not fathom that we do things my way on my property and refused to stop working when I told him too. I told him to sue me, he declined and wimpered away.

I doubt however Direct will be able to surpass Paypal as far as the leader of suckiocity.

RT1
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    if It's Available In Your Area, Get Fios. It Is Awesome!!!!!!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Rivrrat
    edited February 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I'd drop them in a heartbeat, if my employer (Qwest) wasn't a reseller. I get an employee discount (not much) and I can have the bill added in with my phone and dsl.

I chewed on the tech's supervisor pretty good today, I'm betting I won't have a problem tomorrow. :mad:

They called me before four (when I told their idiot supervisor they needed to be here). The tech told me if their 28' ladder won't reach, they're going to go get a taller one and do the install on the roof in the dark.

I'm high priority according to the tech I talked to. If I got their BS again, I was ready to call their cust service line and pitch a fit.:D
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited February 2008
    billbillw wrote: »

Better equipment=Not having to re-boot the dvr once a **** week,and as far as pic quality the hd and sd pic were night and day...no foolin.
    Directv reminds me of Bose with all their marketing b.s.:rolleyes:
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • billbillw
    edited February 2008
    I've had 3 different Directv DVRs over the past few years (1 HR10 for 2+ years, and now I have 2 HR20s). I've only had to reboot them once or twice each, usually after a software upgrade or power outage. Every posting at the Satelliteguys forum (from people who have switched from one to the other) says that Directv's HD picture quality is noticably better on the MPEG4 channels. What is marketing BS is when Dish trys to say they are the HD leader. That's a joke.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2008
    i do have to reboot my HD box too often, a PITA, the effer just locks up. The thing was broke right out of the box as well, I think Direct just has gotten so big so fast they are struggling a bit with everything except signing up new customers since cable has pissed on people for too long.

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited February 2008
    For those who have frequent lock up problems with their DVRs, I would suggest looking into an interruptible power supply (UPS) for the power source. Daily voltage dips, spikes, and momentary outages can cause the types of problems that require frequent reboots. I've always had mine on an UPS and I think that is why I don't have many problems. Doesn't matter if its a Dish, Directv, or Cable DVR. They all perform better on an UPS. Plus, you don't have to worry about that 30 second power outage causing you to miss 5-10 minutes of a program while the DVR reboots.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
    i do have to reboot my HD box too often, a PITA, the effer just locks up. The thing was broke right out of the box as well, I think Direct just has gotten so big so fast they are struggling a bit with everything except signing up new customers since cable has pissed on people for too long.

RT1

I haven't had to reboot at all yet, but you are dean on about getting new customers. I have been straight deuced on my multiple cable companies, and now, finally, Directv came through after much pain in the ****....I'll tell you this though, Directv at least has their billing together, I can't tell you how many times various cable companies managed to f that up...