If you think it's cold where you live....

pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine in Tok Alaska, which is in the eastern part of the state. He said it is -70 degrees there right now! The forecasted high for today is -40! It was a balmy -23 at my house in Anchorage this morning. Gotta love Alaska winters!
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    You people are crazy. :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    The North and the western part of Canada have been very cold for the past 2 weeks. On the Fah. Scale we are -54 with the wind factor today and forecasted for -69 on Saturday. The wind is the killer and I am glad I have the day off.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2008
    That's just ****. And I thought Ohio was cold.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    pmc - venture out to ShowGirls at Sterling and I'm guessing they can warm you right up ;)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    A long time friend of our family is on a tour to Antarctica right now. This guy can afford to go wherever, whenever he pleases, and he picks there. But, he is following it up with a month in Hawaii.

It's 43 in Tucson right now, but it'll be in the 70's this weekend.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    Completely out of your freakin' minds. I'll never feel that things are bad enough in the lower 48 to warrant living up there.
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    pmc - I'll be in Anchorage and the Kenai pen for 10 days starting June 12th. Maybe we can find time to have lunch while I am in Anchorage.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited February 2008
    Sounds good dkg999. Just keep in touch and when you head up here, PM me and we can set something up.

George Grand: I have been here 20 years now. Left Dallas to live here and I cant imagine living anywhere else. I wouldnt survive in the lower 48 anymore. I love the wide open spaces, the lack of people, and the live and let live attitude. Plus, it's the most beuatiful place on earth!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    And perfect for folks who are COMPLETELY OUT OF THEIR FREAKIN' MINDS.
  • janmike
    edited February 2008
    Sounds good dkg999. Just keep in touch and when you head up here, PM me and we can set something up.

George Grand: I have been here 20 years now. Left Dallas to live here and I cant imagine living anywhere else. I wouldnt survive in the lower 48 anymore. I love the wide open spaces, the lack of people, and the live and let live attitude. Plus, it's the most beuatiful place on earth!

Well said pmc. Nothing like it and I agree with the survival thing in the south. My wife, son and myself are planning a trip to Alaska one year as I have never been there and want to see it while I am in the North.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2008
    ...and I'm whinning about 42 degrees...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dkg999
    edited February 2008
    I must be on the crazy train then, because I will own a vacation house in Alaska not too long from now. I'll be scouting out areas this year, but I am thinking the Seldotna area looks good. I would love to be farther north, but the logistics get complex. If I could spend time each year in the Rampart AK area on the Yukon, I would be a happy camper!
    DKG999

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2008
    Alaska IS a hunter/fisherman's paradise, no doubt.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Alaska is my favorite state of all. There are reasons I can't live there, but if I was in a different line of work I would definitely move up there. Beautiful.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2008
    A friend of mine lives up in Barrow. It hadn't sunk in how far up he was until his last email to me said "Greetings from the Arctic".

Umm....no thanks, I'll pass on 70 below.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    66 F today with a 5mph ocean breeze, it's nearly perfect. So no, I don't think it's cold where I live.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Mid 80's in Hilton Head the past 2 days.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    Damn that's cold, the coldest I ever had was when we lived in Kenora @ -55C, we were still playing outside. I was about 7 back then.
  • janmike
    edited February 2008
    I was out today to shovel some of the drifting snow and an hour and a half did me in. I must be getting weak.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    janmike wrote: »
    I was out today to shovel some of the drifting snow and an hour and a half did me in. I must be getting weak.

Tell me about it, heck we always park in our garage which has an insulated door, as soonas we get in the vehicle we turn on the heated seats to high, we climb in close the doors, then as we open the garage door we turn the car on. even on the coldest days, the temp in our garage was 6C. :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2008
    I like camping out in the rough down in the Ritz Carlton Resort in Naples, FL, or over in Cannes, France. More Champagne please!:D
    Carl

• janmike
    edited February 2008
    And what type of cheese would you like with that Sir. :D
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2008
    ouch, my wife thinks +40 is cold weather...that's warm for me...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83