Good Samaritans

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
My truck has been in the shop this week, so I have been driving my car. Long story short, we got 19" of snow today and it's been white out conditions all day and drifting.

I left work at 3:00 and was on a street that is normally 3 lanes, but was essentially reduced to 1. I had a guy in a truck behind me riding my **** and doing that half passing you thing saying you're going too slow. He eventually goes through untouched snow around me and blows a huge crapload of snow on my windshield. I can't see a damn thing and then I am stuck. Awesome.

I was trying to figure out what the hell to do. No way I am getting a tow truck and no way that the cops will be helping. Fatalities on the freeways and serious injury accidents are obviously more important than some dumbshit in a snowbank.

Some guy in a truck stopped on his own and tried to help pull me out so I could get some traction (sheer ice underneath the snow on the pavement). He didn't have a lot of luck, and then 2 other guys stopped in their truck. The 4 of us were able to get my car out and I was back on my way.

This thread is for all of the good samaritans out there. It's great to know there are still people out there who are selfless enough to help someone out even in the most crappy conditions. I didn't have more than $5 cash on me and wasn't really in any position to jot their liscence plates down. :o Would have really been nice to be able to send them something as a thank you.

Here's to hoping they get some good karma coming their way.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2008
    Stories like this remind you there are great people out there.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like someone misses their truck.....cars are for chicks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »

Gotta have at least one truck in the household.....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    Amen. Can I get a witness?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2008
    Does an SUV count?
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »

That and I wish I would have just stayed home. It was a nice wake-up call that not everyone out there is a nozzle. Sometimes I forget.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    Nice story. Glad there are still good people out there
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    Great story. There are good people out there, just a shortage at times.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited February 2008
    Good to hear people are willing to stop and help.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    m00npie wrote: »
    Does an SUV count?

Sorry ..... no.
    Sal Palooza
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Move to the south and you dont have to worry about it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    That may do something about the snow, but will compound the "idiots with trucks" factor.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    That may do something about the snow, but will compound the "idiots with trucks" factor.

A big AMEN to that.

I love hearing this stuff.Nice to know mankind still has some compassion left.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote:
    I had a guy in a truck behind me riding my **** and doing that half passing you thing saying you're going too slow. He eventually goes through untouched snow around me and blows a huge crapload of snow on my windshield. I can't see a damn thing and then I am stuck. Awesome.

That reminds me of an incident that happened a few years ago. I know how to drive in the snow because whenever it snowed my dad would take me to an empty Kmart parking lot or somewhere similar and practice. Learn how to brake, start, control a slide, etc...so that when it snowed I would have a clue.

In this part of TN we don't get much snow (more ice and sleet) so when it happens...watch out for the idiots. It was a fairly heavy snow and the usual share of people who had no business driving in it were out. I had one of those "impatient" guys on my **** (like demi). We get to a gradual incline on a 2 lane road and some old car with slick tires was practically sitting still while he was trying to spin his way up the hill. The Mensa member behind me decided he had had enough and pulled out and was going to pass the line of about 7 or 8 cars. Fortunately for me he made it past the first couple of cars before he started fishtailing, sideswiping at least 4 of the cars in line before he ended up in a ditch Unfortunately he missed the cause of the problem at the front of the line.

There were no good Samaritans in that group to help him and he's lucky the other drivers didn't kick his ****.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited February 2008
    You guys got clobbered up there in WI. We ended up getting 14.3" of snow here in Rockford just across the border. Can you believe they had 800 cars stranded on I-90 between Rockford (IL) and Madison (WI)? People spent the night in their cars stranded on the interstate. They called in the Army Nat'l Guard to help check on people both from the air and ground.

I'd say you were lucky Demi, and it just goes to show the human spirit is still alive and kicking. On a side note I stayed home yesterday and I had to push the mailman out of a couple of ruts he kept getting stuck in. It was treacherous everywhere. However, my heart goes out to those in the south that are dealing with the death and destruction of the tornado's that blew thru.

Certainly a storm to remember.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    The Mensa member behind me decided he had had enough and pulled out and was going to pass the line of about 7 or 8 cars. Fortunately for me he made it past the first couple of cars before he started fishtailing, sideswiping at least 4 of the cars in line before he ended up in a ditch Unfortunately he missed the cause of the problem at the front of the line.

It really sucks when it happens because you realize how much you're at the mercy of some completely selfish person that apparently has somewhere to be and doesn't care about you or your family.

Yeah, you can drive faster in a 4WD vehicle, however they need to stop acting like they're the only ones on the road. I had 3 other people do the same thing to me on the way home last night, luckily it didn't cause me to get stuck and I got home fine.

I can't stand slow pokey drivers in normal conditions, but then you can just pass them. When it's snowy and icy and your car has no traction there's nothing you can do other than go slow.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You guys got clobbered up there in WI. We ended up getting 14.3" of snow here in Rockford just across the border. Can you believe they had 800 cars stranded on I-90 between Rockford (IL) and Madison (WI)? People spent the night in their cars stranded on the interstate. They called in the Army Nat'l Guard to help check on people both from the air and ground.

I'd say you were lucky Demi, and it just goes to show the human spirit is still alive and kicking. On a side note I stayed home yesterday and I had to push the mailman out of a couple of ruts he kept getting stuck in. It was treacherous everywhere. However, my heart goes out to those in the south that are dealing with the death and destruction of the tornado's that blew thru.

Certainly a storm to remember.

H9

Ugh, that's a nightmare on I-90. I heard about it. :(

This guy works for my payroll delivery service, and he videotaped his day yesterday. Brown Deer is the road I take to work almost the whole way. If you want to see what it was like, watch the video. One thing to note, he goes by a bad accident about halfway through, which was a fatal crash. :(

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYsKvG-MvQs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gYsKvG-MvQs&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2008
    that's why i keep a gun under my seat.
    if someone passes me like that i just gas it and blow out there tires.
    **** em.

this is obviously not real... i'm just in a pissed off mood as i just had surgery.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    swerve wrote: »
    that's why i keep a gun under my seat.
    if someone passes me like that i just gas it and blow out there tires.
    **** em.

this is obviously not real... i'm just in a pissed off mood as i just had surgery.

Surgery? :eek: What for?