Shopping for an HD camcorder

bdaley6509
bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Anyone have any suggestions? Our Elura is showing its age, and looks crummy on a High Def TV. We'd like to keep the cost around $700.00 or so. Thanks for sharing.
Post edited by bdaley6509 on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    I have used and like the JVC Everio Harddrive cameras.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    I've got the Canon HV20. Did a lot of research and I love the camera. Been using it a lot for work the last 3 months. I got mine for 6th Ave Electronics online with a big sale they were having.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited February 2008
    I have the Sony HC-7 HD. Happy with it, plus the built-in camera is very sharp and detailed. I know it is a bit over your budget, but I think its cousin: HC-5 price is pretty close to your budget, at the street price.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2008
    I forgot about the HV20. If I were to buy a consumer cam, this would be it.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited February 2008
    ledhed wrote: »
    I forgot about the HV20. If I were to buy a consumer cam, this would be it.

The HV20 has been discontinued so there are great deals on them. The only drawback is it uses cassette tapes. Will they be available in the future? The new cameras use flash memory.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Polk user wrote: »
    The HV20 has been discontinued so there are great deals on them. The only drawback is it uses cassette tapes. Will they be available in the future? The new cameras use flash memory.

MiniDV is the best HD image quality you can get from a camcorder. The Hard Drives and Memory Stick cameras compress too much and it lowers PQ. If they stop making the tapes, no biggie. I just keep recording over them anyways as I put all my videos on my MacBook for editing and then move it to my 1 TB Western Digital MyBook.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about tapes ever being discontinued. Almost all movies are made using film still. Although some high profile movies have been filmed digitally.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    MiniDV is the best HD image quality you can get from a camcorder. The Hard Drives and Memory Stick cameras compress too much and it lowers PQ.

Not true. Many times, flash based recording uses a better color sampling (HDV sucks) and a better, more flexible recording codec. Of course, you pay a lot more for these features.

I really wouldn't worry about HDV becoming unavailable, at least not for a long while.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Fair enough, I like mine, though. :)
  • ledhed
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Fair enough, I like mine, though. :)

Like I said, If I were to buy a consumer HD cam it would be the HV20
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2008
    My brother picked up an HV20 last week for $677 shipped, I believe. So far the footage looks awesome.
  • timswim78
    timswim78 Posts: 38
    edited February 2008
    What is everyone using to edit their HD footage?

I have a MiniDV camcorder (not HD), and I have been using iMovie on my Mac and Adobe Premiere Elements on my Windows machine.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro.