Imaging idea...

Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
My front stage is going to consist of SR6500's with 4 xtant 1.1 amps. My original idea was to put the components into the OEM locations and still plan on doing so but I'm thinking of imaging. I'm currently looking at going an active setup for crossover and eq control via a 3sixty.2. I know you can Coax mount the SR's so what if I take 2 of the amps and run the comps coax mounted low in the doors and then buy another set of OEM Vifa drivers (whichever ones match or find another set of SR tweets) to put in the stock location at the corner of the dash and run them off the other two amps for full tuning capabilities. I'd attenuate them and run them out of phase so they don't increase the overall treble but really help with the sound stage and imaging. What do you guys think? I want to keep everything stealth and hidden so I'm not looking to go flush in the A pillars or anything like that but want to keep my SQ as high as possible.

I always research every detail to death... it's just want I do. I haven't built an SQ car in almost 7 years now so I'm trying to see what's working with today's technologies (3sixty) and what doesn't.
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Not crazy about that idea bro. I know you read where people will put tweeters low in the kicks or something for tonality and then some "imaging" tweeters up high and crossed over high for stage height but I aint crazy about it. Ive heard way too many good cars with the tweets high and the mids low. Hell my mids are down low and my tweets are in my dash and while I dont have super high height, its well above the dash and doesnt bleed down to the mids at all. However, this came after a full season of tuning so youll have to do some work on it.

One thing tho, this wont affect imaging so much as it will stage height. Unless youre going to be using the time alignment on the 360.2 youre not going to get very good imaging due to the pathlength differences between the speakers, especially the mids.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    edited February 2008
    I plan on taking a lot of long hours tuning and tweaking the system to the best I can get via my ears and tastes. That's why I've changed from just doing a LOC to the amps to a full active setup. Now that I have a PDA phone, why not be able to tune my system on the fly? That's going to be the best part IMO.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Introducing more drivers is hardly ever a good idea. What year/make honda is it? My girlfriends 04 civic has factory locations in the sail panels, which while they arent the best locations ever, are much much better behind the door panel. Maybe yours didnt come with the option, but they have ones that did and you can buy those panels?

I hate upstage tweeters, its a band aid at best.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    edited February 2008
    I have an 06 civic and the OEM tweeters are on the dash aimed straight up. I've heard both, it's good and bad. I think I'm going to leave it alone and just tune the hell out of it via a 3sixty.2 or a DQS. Now I can't stop thinking about my sub situation. As soon as I finalize a plan, I think of another. Damn modification possibilities.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I hate upstage tweeters, its a band aid at best.
    -Cody

Its not a band aid. It actually works very well. I agree that having the tweeter high in the stage side by side with the mid and midbass if you have one is the best way, but since its virtually impossible to stick a mid / midbass in the dash without SERIOUS modifications and custom work having the tweeters high and the mids low is the best alternative. And the difference is not that great and depending on the tuner, there will be no difference at all. Not to mention that putting the mids in the dash almost always reduces the path length difference to a lot smaller than it was with the mid down low in the door, and thats not taking into consideration all the crap and reflection youll have to tune around from all the glass.

So yeah, its best to have the mid and tweet together, but its not very easy to do in a car and keep your soundstage out of the floor.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D