Nasty collection letter

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hahaha....

Dear Sxxt
BUFFALO, N.Y. - A collection agency tried to collect a $16.96 debt with an letter that addressed its recipient with a four-letter word for excrement. "Dear S---," began the letter attempting to collect from an old record club membership. The word was spelled out in the letter, which arrived in an envelope addressed to "S--- Face."

"I've never seen anything quite so brazen," said attorney Kenneth Hiller.

He said his client plans to sue Nationwide Collections Inc. of Fort Pierce, Florida, next week.

Under U.S. law, debt collectors are not allowed to use profanity to collect a debt, Hiller said, nor are they supposed to threaten legal action over such a small amount.

Nationwide President Phillip McGarvey said the October 2007 letter was automatically generated after his company bought about 350,000 Columbia House accounts. "S--- Face" is the name under which the account was opened and the way the coupon to start the club was filled out, he said.

Hiller's client has signed an affidavit saying he never signed up for the music club membership under that name.

"It looks bad to the observer who is not familiar with the industry," acknowledged McGarvey, "but anybody who understands the volume would understand how this could happen. ...You've also got people filling in famous people's names."
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    Ha ha. That gives me an idea.....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    I did that with a coupon/ membership card when I was kid. I don't think it was like that though....
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    I still get industry rags sent to work for me where my job title is "Head Lacky"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!