Largest Corp profit in American history

Comments

• The Judge
    The Judge Posts: 60
    edited February 2008
    Sorry about that last post, I did not mean to imply anything when I mentioned getting a piece of the pie. I just get so excited.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Senators girlfriends....

NO NO NO thats a creek...not the harbor.
    1.bmp 438.8K
    2.bmp 465.9K
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    I still,for the life of me,figure out how that moron has stayed in office all these years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    NO NO NO thats a creek...not the harbor.

chucklinpuppetsbm9.gif
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    You try driving with a martini balanced on the dashboard.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited February 2008
    Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution here other than to develop alternative sources of energy which requires politicians to stop thinking with their wallet and start thinking about our country. The oil lobby does play a major role in this. The oil industry remains the largest unregulated "utility" in the country. I refer to them as a utility since the demand elasticity most closely mirrors that of water an electricity. Without water, oil and electricity our country does not move. Until there is an alternative to oil, they can remain one of the few industries to pass on materials cost increases with little backlash from the consumer. And I wish this BS with corn ethanol would stop. Don't get me wrong, my extended family is having a great year in farming due to corn prices, but we all know it is not a viable long term solution. But hey, it buys votes and that is what it really boils down to in this country. Well that and wacko environmentalists whose absurd objections to nuclear power make it almost impossible to build new plants in the US. (Note: even John Kerry's beloved France derives most of electricity from nuclear power.)
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2008
    I have no problem with the oil industry making a profit. What I do have problem with is the special tax breaks they get while they are making the record profits. They obviously don't need them right now.

Polktiger is right, alternative energy, including nuclear is our way out. .

Just a few miles from my house is a new electric car dealership. The big problem with electric cars is that we don't have the excess electricity grid capacity to go full force into electric cars. But I was thinking what if the electric car company sold a solar panel pack with the transformer stuff to make it a grid neutral system. Just a rambling thought.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • SKsolutions
    edited February 2008
    polktiger wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution here other than to develop alternative sources of energy which requires politicians to stop thinking with their wallet and start thinking about our country. The oil lobby does play a major role in this. The oil industry remains the largest unregulated "utility" in the country. I refer to them as a utility since the demand elasticity most closely mirrors that of water an electricity. Without water, oil and electricity our country does not move. Until there is an alternative to oil, they can remain one of the few industries to pass on materials cost increases with little backlash from the consumer. And I wish this BS with corn ethanol would stop. Don't get me wrong, my extended family is having a great year in farming due to corn prices, but we all know it is not a viable long term solution. But hey, it buys votes and that is what it really boils down to in this country. Well that and wacko environmentalists whose absurd objections to nuclear power make it almost impossible to build new plants in the US. (Note: even John Kerry's beloved France derives most of electricity from nuclear power.)

Great analogy, but I won't touch the Kerry comment.

Petroleum is a critical need area affecting every citizen, every price on every product, and the stop gap measures will fail without a clear plan or some regulation. That plan will never happen, and will never be studied, unless those that write the law are no longer able to accept any money from any corporation or lobbyist.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited February 2008
    We can't all forget ... who is Exxon?

For much of middle class America (and other classes) it is you and me. Exxon it is a publicly traded company - owned by the shareholders. It is the teacher with their 403b.

It is the guy who works picking up garbage for your local town, invested in the town's retirement fund.

It is the small business owner with her Roth IRA invested in diversified funds.

It is the everyperson with a 401k.

It's the guy down the street who worked for the big city police department for 35 years - drawing a pension from city funds invested in the market.

Yes, Exxon is me & you.
  • SKsolutions
    edited February 2008
    Should every citizen be REQUIRED to pay for your investment? Please don't tell me teachers or garbagemen can afford to invest in any meaningful way, and their retirements/401K are about as secure as Enron's.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    I was talking with someone the other day and he had an interesting take on the oil/gas issue...and quite frankly one that I think has a lot of merit.

He thinks that the high cost of oil is the best thing to happen to the economy of the US...FOR THE LONG TERM. He believes that as the US has done in the past, we will have to adapt and create alternatives to what we are doing now (much as some have stated above). THAT adapting will probably create new industries that may not even exist now and have nothing to do with energy per se. Obviously, new technological energy sources will create new business but his example was packaging. Think of all of the plastic packaging we currently use. A great example is a 2G SD memory card I bought a few months ago. You know...about the size of a postage stamp (remember those?). It was packaged in a 8"x11" plastic blister pack that was probably 20 mils + thick. It had to weigh 100 times the SD card. As oil becomes more expensive, that type of packaging will no longer be cost effective. Something NEW will have to be developed that will offer the same ability to display the product and protect the retailer from theft and handling losses. That new something will create new industry and create new jobs. Because it is new the foreign producers will not have the technology to manufacture at inception.

His point is that creating new technologies and adapting to new products to counter not only the cost but the availability of oil and other energy sources will stimulate the economy of the US and create new businesses and jobs. This is a simplistic model...but I really think there are some really good points to ponder. I've said it before and I will say it again. The US is the greatest economy in the world. It did not get that way by chance. It will survive and adapt and grow and we will be if not the largest (think China) economic nation, the most influential economy for a long time to come.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Should every citizen be REQUIRED to pay for your investment? Please don't tell me teachers or garbagemen can afford to invest in any meaningful way, and their retirements/401K are about as secure as Enron's.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive, relax.

I was just pointing out people always seem to think of Exxon as "them" when they're a little more "us" than most people realize, or care to admit.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2008
    Should every citizen be REQUIRED to pay for your investment?

wth does that mean? :rolleyes:
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • SKsolutions
    edited February 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Not sure why you're getting so defensive, relax.

I was just pointing out people always seem to think of Exxon as "them" when they're a little more "us" than most people realize, or care to admit.

Objecting to abject stupidity is not being 'defensive'. I would also like to take a moment to thank you for informing me of what I need to 'realize' and 'admit'. So I'm clear, I made some scribbles.

I am Exxon
    Us = Exxon
    Them = Exxon
    Exxon = Exxon

It's clear now.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Well, if they didn't get the tax breaks, they would just raise prices to protect their margins so we can support them through tax breaks or through higher prices. They will get their piece of pie regardless of what we or the government do...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Objecting to abject stupidity is not being 'defensive'. I would also like to take a moment to thank you for informing me of what I need to 'realize' and 'admit'. So I'm clear, I made some scribbles.

So, I take it you think Exxon is owned by some big fat stereotypical cigar chomping 58 year old man sitting at the head of a large table in a boardroom named Mr. Exxon?

The only one exhibiting abject stupidity here is you.

Exxon = The millions of Americans that own Exxon stock, either directly or indirectly
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Everytime I fill up my gasoline tank, I take pride in knowing that I helped to contribute to the largest corporate profit in the history of America. Where is my Thank You letter?
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    Where is my Thank You letter?

They're increasing their corporate profits by not sending them. :rolleyes:

Come off it guys, Exxon happens to be in a very profitable market. What's wrong with them doing what they're supposed to do: make money?

If you don't like their profit margin, stop buying gas, or buy gas from someone else.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    nms wrote: »
    They're increasing their corporate profits by not sending them. :rolleyes:

Come off it guys, Exxon happens to be in a very profitable market. What's wrong with them doing what they're supposed to do: make money?

If you don't like their profit margin, stop buying gas, or buy gas from someone else.

Exactly!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    They're recording record profits NOW. The **** is $3/gallon. Am I supposed to trust these guys to rush out and develop alternative sources of energy (let's face it, we've known there was a problem since about 1970) when the price gets to $4/5/6/gallon? There is less of the **** in the ground. Supply and demand? I'm thinking we'll see $10/gallon before you get a real alternative. If you think there are record profits now, I don't think we've seen anything yet.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    Exxon's largest shareholders are pension funds and mutual fund holders, so when they reap, so do we.

I would rather see Exxon post record profits at the hand of CITGO, but that is wishful thinking.......Chavez isn't my favorite dictator.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shack
    edited February 2008
    Exxon, as one of the largest corporations in the world, was generating record proffits when gas was at $.99 a gallon. The fact that their profits are a record now has to do with their sheer size and inflation. Their profit margin is very similar to what it has been over decades.

It's just like with movies. A movie in 2007 grosses $200,000,000 in the first week. A movie in 1977 grosses $50,000,000 in it's first week. The 2007 movie is a record..but the 1977 movie sold more tickets and more importantly...generated a greater profit based on margin.

Yes in actual dollars it is a record...but you have to compare based on inflation and compare based on percentages...not raw numbers.

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2008

I am Exxon
    Us = Exxon
    Them = Exxon
    Exxon = Exxon

It's clear now.
    Obviously not enough notes nor ones you can read later since you still don't understand the definition nor the formula for area.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2008
    And the little fact that the only one group pays for everything...

The end user.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited February 2008
    Given that in the average state that the combined federal and state taxes on a gallon of gas exceed corporate profits, perhaps one should look elsewhere to gripe as opposed to at an industry that actually provides other little things like jobs ...

Then again maybe we can just double those taxes so we can have free healthcare.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Given that in the average state that the combined federal and state taxes on a gallon of gas exceed corporate profits, perhaps one should look elsewhere to gripe as opposed to at an industry that actually provides other little things like jobs ...

Then again maybe we can just double those taxes so we can have free healthcare.

Bingo.
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    Or at least raise the taxes on gas enough to cover the cost of roads, instead of subsidizing them with money from income taxes, sales tax, etc.

I would throw in property tax too, but most people would like the fire trucks to be able to get to their house if it's on fire, or the ambulance ...

I myself can't complain about gas taxes when it doesn't even cover the costs of the infrastructure needed to support the car nation.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited February 2008
  • wizzy
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't cover the cost ? ... Or it's being spent elsewhere ?

It's weird - something like 60% of fed goes to fed roads, and 40% gets used in unrelated items. But, then they take other unrelated taxes and use those for roads.

Everything I've ever read says taxes on gas don't cover costs, and they *really* don't cover costs when you factor in those things that are car/road related that aren't obvious to the general person.

The thing is, if we has gas taxes that covered the costs to maintain the infrastructure for the last fifty years the cost of gas would have got more people buying efficient cars. In European countries where gas costs have reflected the costs of driving, 40+MPG cars are commonplace and dominant.

Read this:
    The 1997 Federal Highway Cost Allocation Study found that vehicle user fees (fuel taxes, registration fees and road tolls) would need to increase by more than 43% to fund all roadway expenses, and more if other motor vehicle externalities are to be internalized through fuel taxes. Puentes and Prince (2003) analysis indicates that fuel taxes would need to approximately double if user fees are to cover all roadway costs. Fuel taxes in Canada are also less than total roadway expenditures (Blanchard, 1996).
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Do you even know what you just copied any pasted? :confused: