Advice on Comps

karate kid
karate kid Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I will be purchasing a pair of components to replace my db570's. I drive a ford and the factory location will take the 5 x 7's obviously and a 5 1/4 without cutting. The question is do you guys think it's worth it to cut the doors and fit the mmc6500's? Would there be a big difference between them and the 5250's?
Post edited by karate kid on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    the basket on the MOMOs is massive.... its all up to u.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2008
    You'll have to pull the factory speaker and make sure there's room (compared against specs for the MMC6500), and take into consideration whether cramming a 6.5 into the OEM location works cosmetically, but ideally you'll get better midbass output by going with the largest sized drivers you can accomodate. I'd take a 5.25 (or preferably a 6.5) over 5X7s any day. Sometimes you can fit a larger speaker by modifying the mounting surface and still be able to fire the new speaker through the factory grill- you won't know for sure until you measure the depth available and determine if you have enough room on the inner door in that area.
  • karate kid
    edited February 2008
    I really appreciate the responses guys. I have 2.7 to the window. I think the 6.5 will fit if I just trim a bit of steel to make the diameter work. Is it worth the trouble going that route for the 6.5 or do you think the 5.25 would be fine?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2008
    If you only have to enlarge the diameter of the cutout and a 6.5" driver works otherwise, go for the 6.5.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Stick with the 5.25.

I actually kinda like 5.25's better anyway. They do give up a smidge in the midbass but the midrange is so much better. Im running the SR5250's right now and I think they sound pretty damn good. And their midbass is pretty impressive as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • karate kid
    edited February 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Stick with the 5.25.

I actually kinda like 5.25's better anyway. They do give up a smidge in the midbass but the midrange is so much better. Im running the SR5250's right now and I think they sound pretty damn good. And their midbass is pretty impressive as well.

Thanks Macleod....You just made my decision a bit easier. BTW.....You haven't stopped by the Kingdom for a while???? Did you lose the address? A lot of people would like to hear from you again.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Nah. Got turned off on that place. Posted my thoughts against rear fill and got everybody all pissed off and was accused of "forcing my beliefs on others". After that I lost interest and whenever I did post anything it didnt get much if any feedback so I moved on.

Plus all those flaming, swirling animated icons started messing with my eyes!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • karate kid
    edited February 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Nah. Got turned off on that place. Posted my thoughts against rear fill and got everybody all pissed off and was accused of "forcing my beliefs on others". After that I lost interest and whenever I did post anything it didnt get much if any feedback so I moved on.

Plus all those flaming, swirling animated icons started messing with my eyes!

I can't remember the exact conversation but I can only imagine the majority there now would agree with you. Stop by sometime and give it another shot. I kinda like the icons??