The evil is gone!

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I finally got rid of the demon child known as my Ford Explorer. I wound up getting enough (about $300 shy) in trade to pay it off and got a killer deal on a...

2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Auto. I did not go for the navigation package as it costs too much in my mind. All the voice activated stuff is a waste also in my mind. Other than that, it's fully loaded and SWEET!!!! This thing rocks!

I wound up having 5 Honda dealerships bidding on the thing. I had a guy at work finally negotiate a price for me with a sales guy he dealt with before. No other dealer could beat nor match the price. It also helped that I had my financing locked in at my credit union. 4.79%, not too shabby!

It's great going from (at best) 18mpg hwy up to 32mpg hwy. This 190hp 4cyl is quite pleasing!

John
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations. Those are great cars.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    I have the similar package in a 2006. Great cars. I have gotten as high as 38 mpg with mine on a long trip.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited January 2008
    oh man is Ron going to be pissed!
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    oh man is Ron going to be pissed!

Not at all. Just don't complain to me about the US economy. Congratulations on your new ride. Sweet vehicle.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    Congrats for not settling for a UAWPOS this time! The navigation stuff is ok but I keep thinking for $300 you can get a nice portable unit that talks to you. I'm always happy when an ex Ford owner finds true quality. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Sweet, and the popcorn just finished popping... Ahhhhh....

Oh, BTW, congrats on the ride!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Congrats, i love my **** ride too!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    The Accord is really one of the few truly American built and engineered automobiles. When I researched it more of the dollars from manufacturing, engineering, and development were spent in the US than most traditional American auto companies. Buy American, buy an Accord!

My Accord has a higher US economic benefit than my Harley-Davidson.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    The Accord is really one of the few truly American built and engineered automobiles. When I researched it more of the dollars from manufacturing, engineering, and development were spent in the US than most traditional American auto companies. Buy American, buy an Accord!

My Accord has a higher US economic benefit than my Harley-Davidson.

Agreed! My Toyota truck's in the same boat, made in the southern US. Good quality, too!

Congrats on the new ride, John.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    pics man, pics.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Congrats man. We want pics of the new ride.
  • Strong Bad
    edited January 2008
    Thanks all!

I read the sticker regarding the percentage of parts that are US vs Foreign and where it is assembled. 60% of the parts are US made and it's built in Marysville OH. Glad to do my part to keep American workers working!

This effing car is AWESOME! The built-in XM Radio is great.

Now, I am looking at GPS units like the Garmins and Tom Toms. I saw the thread over in Electronics which had good info.

Pics to come. Hang tight. Probably not till the weekend as bad weather is moving in soon.

John
    No excuses!
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited January 2008
    Congrats, i love my **** ride too!

Congrats! I have 2 **** rides and wouldn't trade them for the world. You couldn't pay me to drive a Ford. I like driving too much.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    SB, I had a huge smile on my face for you when I read the first line! Congrats on dumping your problem child, and IMHO you've made a good choice for its replacement.

My dad has a '94 Civic, the basic model. New, it put out like 90 hp :D This car has something around 140k miles on it, doesn't use a drop of oil, is still on its first clutch (after teaching 2 teenagers to drive a stick), and has given us 0 problems. My dad likes it so much he refused to "total" it after a downed tree crushed the roof in a bad ice storm several years back.

Sure, it's not the fastest thing on the block, but its consistent 44+ mpg is hard to beat!

Honda makes some very good cars, so does Toyota and the other Japanese manufacturers, but Honda motors are near legendary for reliability. When I get a car I'm going to look very hard at Honda.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Strong Bad
    edited January 2008
    I've had 4 Fords in my life and made all the customary "Rice Burner" put down comments over the years.

You really have to see the new '08 Accords. Stop by a dealership, if for nothing more than to just see it. They have a perfect blend of luxury and sporty type car. I have the 4 door, but the 2 door is even more badass looking. I wanted the 4dr though. They are much more roomier inside vs years past. I couldn't get comfortable in the 2006 models when i looked at used. Felt like i was squashed inside. The new ones....forget it! Lots of room and very comfortable. Everything is well laid out and close by. No leaning forward and reaching for climate and radio controls.

Handling is outstanding! Power from the 190hp 4cyl is great! 32mpg hwy has my wallet singing sweet songs.

John
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Power from the 190hp 4cyl is great!

That just sounds so odd.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited January 2008
    It's great going from (at best) 18mpg hwy up to 32mpg hwy. This 190hp 4cyl is quite pleasing!

Is that 18mpg hwy or city? I thought it would be higher than that. My wife's 05 Altima with the V6 averages better than 23mpg city. I figured the Accord was better. Don't get me wrong, those are awesome cars and what we were looking at purchasing when trying to find my wife a new car.

Congrats and I can't wait to see the pics. Very nice looking cars. What color did you end up with? More details man!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    I've had 4 Fords in my life and made all the customary "Rice Burner" put down comments over the years. John

Yep... that Honda probably has more American content than many Chevy's and Fords. Congratulations again!!!
  • Strong Bad
    edited January 2008
    edbert wrote: »
    Is that 18mpg hwy or city? I thought it would be higher than that. My wife's 05 Altima with the V6 averages better than 23mpg city. I figured the Accord was better. Don't get me wrong, those are awesome cars and what we were looking at purchasing when trying to find my wife a new car.

Congrats and I can't wait to see the pics. Very nice looking cars. What color did you end up with? More details man!

I was getting about 18mpg hwy in my Explorer and jump up to 32mpg hwy in the Accord.

The exterior finish is called Metal. It's like a dark grayish looking color, but to me is the best.

Ron, I was pretty surprised at the 60% american parts content. Just goes to show, American made cars can be good if they are designed and engineered right.

Here's a funny one...I was at the dealership buying the vehicle the other night and they had to do the paperwork in the VW showroom due to construction at the Honda building next door. So, while waiting, I noticed the VW Toureg (expensive **** SUV). The sign inside the vehicle said "$495 a month for 96 months."

I aksed the finance guy if that 96 months was right. He said YES. People are actually financing and leasing vehicles for 96 months. HOLY HELL, 8 years on car loans!!!
    No excuses!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Great buy. Couldn't wait for the new Accord, opted for the 2007 Camry, same dark grey metallic color. I'm happy with it, but when the new Accord came out, I was second guessing like crazy. Sharp car. BMW-esque from certain angles.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited January 2008
    Cool...one more SUV off the road....congrats! ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited January 2008
    Just make sure at each fill up that you tighten the gas cap till you hear it ratchet :D
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2008
    Congrats, we have 2 Hondas on our driveway and they are awesome. And both built in Ohio with 70% American parts. My father in law is sales manager of a Chrysler dealership and does not even try to get us to flip back.
    Venom
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    I loved my 2001 Accord. The 5spd was a blast to drive. I would've kept it, but needed a truck for house projects. Congrats on the new car... maybe after the truck is paid off, I'll have another one.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations, man! It's great to hear you've moved on to another chapter in your automotive life. That Explorer gave you enough grief!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    Congrats John!!!

I did the exact opposite of you, I went from 30+ mpg down to about 18. I'm also glad I got rid of my demon child, the MINI. I also have built in XM, 6 months free but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it, at $67 a year it's almost a no brainer.

Enjoy the new ride and lets see some pics bro.

In my quest for a new car I test drove some Honda's, the Civic and if I remember the Civic STI and the Accord.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Wait till the person you sold it to reads the forum. :D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    hey John,

did the car come standard with a V@gina, or was it an option?.....LOL

just effin with ya, actually saw one of those, nice.
    its a Honda, so the thing will run forever. you would have to pour sand in the engine to kill it, and even then, it would fight on for about 4000 miles before it died.

I have a Honda Quad, 1996, beat to hell before I even owned it. havent changed the oil in 3 seasons and the thing still wont f*cking die....LOL

that said......change your oil periodically per manufacturers recomendations
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    I was getting about 18mpg hwy in my Explorer and jump up to 32mpg hwy in the Accord.

Ah, that makes more sense. I knew something wasn't right, but I couldn't put it together. I guess my brain had shut down for the day.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2008
    For the first time ever, the Accord is now considered a Full Size car (by one cubic foot). The design team for the Accord also did the Hundai Sonata so if you see the similaraties, that's why.

The one thing I"m not crazy about design wise is the back tail lights. They look too small IMO (they're also a copy of the Toyota Avalons). Not that there's a ton of variety with what you can do with lights, but Honda's designers have been lacking for a while.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.