Surround Re-Glueing

Options
dipiazza
dipiazza Posts: 363
edited February 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
What have people used to reglue a surround that has partially become detached. The surround is rubber. I was thinking some kind of hobby rubber cement?

Thanks!
Terps Swimming!
HT Setup
TV: Vizio VX32L
Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
Fronts: Polk R50s
Surounds: Polk R30s
Center: Polk R20's
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
Post edited by dipiazza on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    Options
    If the tear is clean and in the middle of the 'roll', you can use a small strip of rubber and rubber cement to patch it, just like you would patch a torn knee in your jeans.

If the rubber is detaching from the cone or frame of the speaker, you need to do some more research into glues. Surround to cone is gonna be easier than surround to frame. Consider epoxies.
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Heres a few pics of what im talking about...
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Maybe PVC cement glue? Pretty flexible and great under preasure.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    Options
    How about something to hold it down physically, instead of using glue. Maybe a ring that you can bolt down to hold the entire thing in place.

You can try glueing it down, but you'll likely find yourself fixing it every so often(maybe once a year).
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited January 2008
    Options
    PartsExpress.com has a speaker glue that seems alot like Elmer's White Glue but it's not. I used to repair dust caps and surrounds on both polypropylene and paper/pulp cones wiith much success.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I don't really know, but I'm thinking a contact cement-type glue would be best (perhaps the rubber cement you mention). Is the metal frame painted where the surround needs to be attached? I'm interested in your experience because I've got some speaker drivers that have the rubber surrounds coming loose from the frames, but what is actually happening is that the paint on the frame is coming loose and taking the surround with it. They're cheapy drivers, but I'd still like to glue them back.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Dude go to an RC hobby shop. They have glue for gluing tires to rims on the RC trucks. Its cheap, and works great. It is the same thing as super glue. Works great. I wish I new this trick before I tossed a couple speakers that wouldn't hold up with "speaker glue".

Edit
    Use speaker glue if the surround is foam.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Im with Ben the stuff works great ! but parts express stuff work good too they sell it with all their foam repair kits.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables