My Lab has a thing for remotes.

cubdog
cubdog Posts: 835
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
My 8 month old yellow lab who already weighs 100 lbs. has a thing for remotes. He just got the remote from my new Denon AVR and put some nice teeth marks in it. That makes 4 remotes he's damaged. I know it's my fault, but I swear you turn your back for 30 seconds and he's eating something he shouldn't. Socks, pillows, shoes, rugs, DVD covers etc. I love him but he's making me nuts!

cubdog
Shuguang Classic S8MK
Emotiva XDA-2
Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
Bel Canto DAC 1.5
Squeezebox Touch
Sony SS-M7
A/D/S L710
Post edited by cubdog on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried changing the channel to Animal Planet?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried changing the channel to Animal Planet?

He would probably start humping the TV.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Get him his own TV
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Eh, he gives you one good reason to upgrade?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    I don't know, maybe put them in a safe/drawer/cabinet?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    He ate one of my wifes socks and carried around for three days. Then he spit it up and presented it to her. He was so proud.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Call 'the Dog Whisperer' I swear, that guy can fix ANY dog of their problems!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2008
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    Exercise him more. A lot of destructive behavior is from too much energy. And please tell me you're training him.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • bradm6406
    bradm6406 Posts: 39
    edited January 2008

Have you actually tried this dog training method? My dogs barking is driving me absolutely insane, I'm on the verge of trying to find them a new home, but I would rather find a way to train them to stop than get rid of them.
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    He's been though a training class. He also has over 1/2 acre to run on, a Great Dane sister to play with, and gets daily walks. Non of that negates the fact that 100lb puppys are bound to cause some chaos. I just wish he didn't have a remote fetish.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Damn,you like big dogs!!! I was gonna say he could play with my golden retriever and labradoodle but forget it! They're only about 65 each.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    any chew toys?

When I went from a 32" TV to a 52" TV recently, one of my dogs suddenly became aware of the TV. He goes nuts when he sees animals, especially dogs. He's actually turned into a bit of a couch potato. Its crazy to see him sitting on the couch watching TV so intently. I'm trying to break his habit of barking at the TV, but its hard.
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    Chew toys, stuffed animals, balls, indoor toys, outdoor toys he's got them all. My Dane loves to watch TV as well and she too recognizes animals. The Lab is just starting to pay attention to it.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Nyla Bones

About 10.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    You could try coating your remotes in something that tastes nasty to him and then let him chew on them. It might take a couple days for him to learn though, and in the mean time your remotes are covered with something gross.

The other option is a remote shock collar and shock him (hard enough to get a reaction, but not painful) whenever he picks up a remote. This would require monitoring him constantly to make sure the action-reaction was consistent for him, but it would probably stop the problem a whole lot quicker. Of course, some people don't like shocking their dogs.

EDIT

If he's actually chewing on the remotes this could present a serious health hazard if he ingests a large piece of plastic and it lodges in his throat or digestive tract. Even more serious would be if he punctured a battery or swallowed a battery. Unless you saw it go down you wouldn't know it, and if it ruptured in his stomach he could die.

Just more of my thoughts.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2008
    Hey man sorry to hear that. I feel your pain, its called welcome to being a Lab owner. They are just notorious chewers, basically you will be into this hardcore for at least another 14 months, then after that it is hit or miss on what they like to chew.

My 10 year old lab still will chew on toys. She does not chew on adult things anymore, but anything the kids play with and leave on the floor has a pontential to be picked up and chomped on.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • cubdog
    edited January 2008
    Hey man sorry to hear that. I feel your pain, its called welcome to being a Lab owner. They are just notorious chewers, basically you will be into this hardcore for at least another 14 months, then after that it is hit or miss on what they like to chew.

My 10 year old lab still will chew on toys. She does not chew on adult things anymore, but anything the kids play with and leave on the floor has a pontential to be picked up and chomped on.

Thanks. Basically he's a great dog. I kind of knew what to expect, we've had Labs before. Still each puppy is a new experience. This one is just full of it.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710