Whats a SACD :) more ebay fun

NotaSuv
NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Under SACD's I saw a Bob set that I listen to weekly listed as a SACD..HHHHHMMM did not know these were made so I emailed the seller asking if it was a true SACD...
Reply was Dear mauirt,

Can you be more specific I did'nt understand your question thanks:confused:

So re mailed asking if it said SACD anywhere on the disc or box

Reply was Dear mauirt,

Can you explain to me what is a SACD for future references so I don't make that mistake.

Gotta love the sleez bay :D
Post edited by NotaSuv on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Super audio compact disk.

Generally a recording in 5.1 or some othe rhi-rez format. Only players labeled to play SACD can play it. It is not a normal cd.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited January 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    Super audio compact disk.

Generally a recording in 5.1 or some othe rhi-rez format. Only players labeled to play SACD can play it. It is not a normal cd.
    I believe the op already knows this but was sharing an e-mail from someone on eBay selling a SACD but they didn't know what it was.
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Oh my bad, I thought it was Nota that didnt understand SACD. I appologize.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited January 2008
    I believe the op already knows this but was sharing an e-mail from someone on eBay selling a SACD but they didn't know what it was.

yes op does know what a true SACD is...;)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited January 2008
    The problem with Ebay (and Half.com for that matter) is that it automatically tries to format CD listings for the seller and often does so incorrectly. I remember running into this when I was trying to finish out my Police on SACD collection. I actually received the wrong disc more than once and had to get a refund. Since then, I always ask the seller before purchasing.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    except my gifted five eared friend from Lou, a Hybrid SACD can be played on a regular cd player, just not the high rez layer and of course SACD has little to nothing to do with 5.1...

RT1
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    except my gifted five eared friend from Lou

WWAAAAAAA, so true...:p
    , a Hybrid SACD can be played on a regular cd player, just not the high rez layer and of course

Then your not listening to SACD
    SACD has little to nothing to do with 5.1...

RT1

I said 5.1 or some other hi-rez audio....

But most are done in a surround format, right? At least the ones I bought are.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    But most are done in a surround format, right? At least the ones I bought are.

now that is classic jake, I am shocked to hear you bought multi tracked SACD, in the beginning many/most were 2 channel, then Sony thought they might cash in on the surround craze, now there is a mix of them, no matter, how ever you enjoy hi-rez I am all for it. All of the 5.1 mixes also have a 2 channel stereo track you are missing some great music if you are only buying the multi track SACD's.

RT1
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    now that is classic jake, I am shocked to hear you bought multi tracked SACD, in the beginning many/most were 2 channel, then Sony thought they might cash in on the surround craze, now there is a mix of them, no matter, how ever you enjoy hi-rez I am all for it. All of the 5.1 mixes also have a 2 channel stereo track you are missing some great music if you are only buying the multi track SACD's.

RT1

I have the Godsmack Otherside SACD that has only 5.1 mix. Now I can down mix it to 2 channel with the Oppo, but no SACD 2 channel on that disk.

You right, I never read beyong 5.1 mix. Floyd DSOTM has both hi rez 5.1 and 2 chanell. Never accessed the 2 channel.

Dire Straits too 5.1

WOOOOPPPSSS... I gues I have too many ears to please...:p
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited January 2008
    My next SACD is Tubular Bells 4.0 mix, some say it is outstanding.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    I've only been able to find 1 multich. SACD that I liked, DSOTM. Everthing I want to buy is SL stereo>
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited January 2008
    More than half of the SACDs I own are 2 channel only. My SACD player is 2-channel only as well. The Denon I recently sold to HearingImpaired was multichannel, but I rarely listened to SACD on that unit, except for DSOTM.

I like surround for movies (because that is the way they are supposed to sound, per the director/sound editor), but music is mostly recorded with the intent of making a 2-channel product. Multi-channel, in most cases, is the result of studio mixing. I'm sure there are some cases where they were recorded with multichannel in mind, but that is not typical.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    More than half of the SACDs I own are 2 channel only. My SACD player is 2-channel only as well. The Denon I recently sold to HearingImpaired was multichannel, but I rarely listened to SACD on that unit, except for DSOTM.

I like surround for movies (because that is the way they are supposed to sound, per the director/sound editor), but music is mostly recorded with the intent of making a 2-channel product. Multi-channel, in most cases, is the result of studio mixing. I'm sure there are some cases where they were recorded with multichannel in mind, but that is not typical.

Bill, the Godsmack SACD The Otherside, is worth trying out in multichannel. You will not be disapointed.

I tryed downmixing to 2 channel via Oppo, but didnt sound too good.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    The Oppo does not play true DSD.

I have over 100 SACD's and they all have a 2 channel layer, I have heard of this Multi-channel only SACD but never seen one, it would not suprise me that down-mix through the OppO would be pretty lean on sound. I presently have no discs where I prefer multi over 2-channel. I have some that are three channel and this idea I believe has merit.

RT1
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    The Oppo does not play true DSD.

I have over 100 SACD's and they all have a 2 channel layer, I have heard of this Multi-channel only SACD but never seen one, it would not suprise me that down-mix through the OppO would be pretty lean on sound. I presently have no discs where I prefer multi over 2-channel. I have some that are three channel and this idea I believe has merit.

RT1

Excuse my ignorance.... DSD??

RT1, I believe this is the reason for my multi channel preference. I do need to look into a source thats better. Something worth investing that is multi and 2 channel worthy.

Currently, to listen to 2channel SACD, I have to set the Oppo to down mix 2 channel, and run the left and right (pre out, not the mix out) as large. By doing this, I am unable to have a direct mode on the HK for some reason. I have the Oppo left and right (multichannel pre) out to the HK CD input. But like I said, I am unable to get direct mode with the CD input. I have 6/8 channel direct , but that is used for the HD-DVD for DD+ and trueHD.

Any thoughts?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• reeltrouble1
    edited January 2008
    Jake,

The Denon units are excellent, I especially like the 2900 and the 3910. The Pioneer units are also quite nice, I have a DV47Ai that has a very nice sound for multi, stereo and redbook playback. I also own the Denon 2900, both the Denon and Pioneer have a menu setting where you can select either 2-ch or multi track, when selecting 2-ch netiher unit had a problem with my receivers Direct setting mode. You can buy either unit used at low cost or buy big for a new model.

Oh yea DSD=Direct Stream Digital which is the SACD coding process invented by Sony.
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Jake,

The Denon units are excellent, I especially like the 2900 and the 3910. The Pioneer units are also quite nice, I have a DV47Ai that has a very nice sound for multi, stereo and redbook playback. I also own the Denon 2900, both the Denon and Pioneer have a menu setting where you can select either 2-ch or multi track, when selecting 2-ch netiher unit had a problem with my receivers Direct setting mode. You can buy either unit used at low cost or buy big for a new model.

Oh yea DSD=Direct Stream Digital which is the SACD coding process invented by Sony.

Thanks RT1. See the Oppo has the same menu, 2channel or multi. But it sounds like its taking the multi track and putting it on 2 channel. Not reading a 2 chnl track for 2 chnl playback. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000