polk sr6500+sr5250 breakin advice

Options
heXtant
heXtant Posts: 56
edited November 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok. im SO excited i can barely contain myself.
so heres whats up. if you remember, i posted a thread a little bit ago asking about the setup i am planning on doing. i am ready now financially to obtain all of this equipment but before i have it installed i would like to get some questions answered and was hoping you all would be able to help me out with that. i've gotten great advice from these forums before and hope to get some more :)
my headunit is still Alpine CDA-9815
-(1) JL Audio 13W7 13.5" DVC Subwoofer
-(1) JL Audio 1000/1v2 Class D Monoblock Amplifier
-(2) Polk Audio SR6500
-(1) Polk Audio SR5250
-(1) Alpine PDX4.150 Amplifier
-(1) Apline PDX2.150 Amplifier

In addition to this equipment, i will also be getting sound deadening installed

okay, a couple questions. (sorry if there is a lot, but if im going to do this, i want to do it right. i already have an idea for these questions, but i would like to take your opinions and suggestions into consideration as well)
-first off, im not sure how to properly break in the Polk SR's so i was wondering what the proper break in time is and how exactly i am supposed to go about it :D.
-also, i am not sure what wiring i should go with for all of this equipment so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
-As far as ported or sealed box, which would sound better for this setup?
-A friend told me that i might need a seperate battery to run this setup and i was wondering if that is a good idea, and if so, what kind of battery would be a good choice for this situation
-The only other thing i was wondering was if anybody had any good suggestion for speaker placement on the 3rd set of SR's for the best sound quality. (i drive a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited)

sorry if its a lot, but any advice/suggestions/opinions would be helpful :)
System in construction.. :)
Post edited by heXtant on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    Options
    -first off, im not sure how to properly break in the Polk SR's so i was wondering what the proper break in time is and how exactly i am supposed to go about it .
    just listen to them at moderate listening levels for a few days or a few weeks(depending on how much ur in your car)

-also, i am not sure what wiring i should go with for all of this equipment so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    im going to suggest any GOOD quality wiring u can find.... u have all this gear and in order for ur great amp to get to ur great speakers ur going to need something that will with-hold the integrity of that quality... so dont short yourself in between....Lighting Audio, street wires, RF, Monster, JL will do

-As far as ported or sealed box, which would sound better for this setup?
    that sub is going to be PLENTY LOUD, no need to go ported its a great sub... go sealed in the recommended enclosure size(provided by the JL)

-A friend told me that i might need a seperate battery to run this setup and i was wondering if that is a good idea, and if so, what kind of battery would be a good choice for this situation
    I'm not sure how my amps ur alternator is...i dont know if u NEED another battery... but it cant be a bad thing... that i know of... 3 suggestions would be.... Stinger Battery/Odyssey, Yellow Top, Or Kinetik. I've only heard the best about Kinetik.. apparently someone hit 180db with it.. u should be able to fit a pretty large one in ur car.

-The only other thing i was wondering was if anybody had any good suggestion for speaker placement on the 3rd set of SR's for the best sound quality. (i drive a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited)
    im not sure if the 98 kick pannel enclosures would work with ur model.... but Kick Pan. Enclosureif they do work.... i would ask ur installers to dampen them as well.

Good luck, hope i helped, and post pics and keep us updated.

I hope u have a good car alarm... try to get that stuff installed stealth so people cant see it
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    Options
    Break in time is about a month in my experience. But I didnt wait that long before cranking them up a good bit. Just use some common sense with them and youll be fine.

Whatever wiring the shop uses that youre getting your install done will be good enough. Be it Tsunami, Stinger or Streetwires, just use their entry level wire.

Sealed always sound better.

So long as youre listening to music your stock battery will be fine. Now if youre wanting to do some ghetto blasting and blast a bunch of sine bombs, then maybe an upgrade will be in order.

"3rd set of speakers" and "sound quality" is a contradiction in terms. Thats 2 pairs too many for optimum SQ. 3 sets of speakers in a car is way WAY redundant and not going to work very well together. But since youve already bought them, Id say the biggest thing would be to put them as far apart as possible for best results.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • surefire
    surefire Posts: 25
    edited February 2008
    Options
    50 hours should be a minimum break in time IMO. The Polk SR's definitely sound a lot sweeter when broken in.

As far as wiring goes, I recommend Audison's Sonus range for speaker cabling if you can get it.
  • e4beltran
    e4beltran Posts: 1
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have one set of sr6500 for my Jeep GC. My plan is to put them in front factory location mids in front door and tweeters on dash board. What do you recommend for the rear door speakers. Would another set of sr6500 fit or only the sr5250 would fit? Thank you
  • 02MaxPoundin
    02MaxPoundin Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Would a second set of SR6500 fit in the rear door panel of an 02 Maxima?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Not sure. Kinda doubt it as most rear door speakers are usually 5's. You could always pull the trim panel and see what youve got to work with. You could trim some sheet metal around the opening and make them fit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ipartywhenuhurt
    ipartywhenuhurt Posts: 130
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Im interest in buying a set of sr6500 or sr5250 please contact me if ur willing to sell
  • the88thpianoman
    the88thpianoman Posts: 36
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The rear doors of the Jeep take a 6.5/6.75" speaker. Mount one set of 6500's in the front doors and another set in the rear. You don't need the 5250, and there's no place to mount them. For the front tweeters, try the stock location (normally takes a 2.5" speaker), but you're probably going to notice some amount of sound disconnect between the mids and highs. You'd be better off mounting the tweeters in/on the A-pillars. The reason you don't notice a sound disconnect with the stock speakers is because those 2.5's in the dash are not really tweeters, they're a mid and high driver.

Kick panel from a 98 won't work as a body style change occurred in 99.

As far as a battery upgrade, you don't need two batteries, just one good one. An optima yellowtop would work well for this, and unless you're going for ridiculous, high-powered loud, the stock 136 amp alternator is plenty sufficient.