how good of a deal is a pair of lsi9's for 400??

1fastz28
1fastz28 Posts: 122
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
my manager told me i could get a pair for 400, i've been looking at the rti-7's which would cost a bit more
setup
Panasonic 46pz85
Polk RTi A9's
Polk CSi A6
FXi A6's
Energy s12.3 sub
Denon 3808ci
Pioneer elite dv-79
Monster 1850
Denon dp500m w/ grado green
PS3,XBOX 360, NES
Post edited by 1fastz28 on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    Do you really need to ask? Used pairs of LSi9's in good condition at that price are a deal, and $500 to $550 is a fair deal on used ones in excellent condition. If you've got the gear to drive them, jump on it.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Stupid good...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited January 2008
    don't do it...use that money to get yourself a nice pair of Bose. make sure you post pics after you score.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    lets put it this way, if your not getting them, tell us where we can :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    I would purchase a pair of LSi9's for that price without even thinking about it. Excellent price for a great speaker.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    That's a good enough price for me to buy a set just to have them on hand, because I need another pair of speaks like a hole in my head....:D
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    i'm just on the fence between the rtia7's and now these
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Can I push ya' off the fence to the LSi side? :D;):D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    Thats a pretty good deal.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Do you want floorstanders or large bookshelves? I don't have the room for floorstanders, so the LSi9s would be perfect for me...For $400, I would think the LSis would be a no-brainer either way, but whatever blows your hair back....
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Gimme,gimme,gimme!!!me Sum,me Sum!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Make sure you have an amp to drive them. Other than that, I would get the Lsi9's over any RTi.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    you buy for $400 and I'll pay shipping AND give you $450?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    i think i'm gonna get the lsi's the only thing is i need a good speaker stand that will be sturdy enough. i went back and forth for about 2 hours listening to the 7's and the 9's, the rt's seem to be just a bit more bright, i know i'll be happy either way, i just want to get the best...

thanks for your help guys, when i make my final decision i'll post about it
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    I hate to make an assumption, but strictly going off the screen name I'd guess you don't have amps or a receiver that's capable of a 4ohm load.......if that's the case, don't get them unless you plan on upgrading your system to run the speakers properly.

If I'm wrong on your equipment, then definitely get them for that price.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited January 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I hate to make an assumption, but strictly going off the screen name I'd guess you don't have amps or a receiver that's capable of a 4ohm load.......if that's the case, don't get them unless you plan on upgrading your system to run the speakers properly.

Even if he's not wrong, get them. I'll buy them for $425. :D
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008

i dont have a receiver or an amp, but i'm planning on getting a pioneer vsx92txh
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    That's not rated for 4 ohms, so you're not going to see the benefit of the LSi's with that receiver.........not saying the receiver isn't any good......just that it's not a good match for the 9s...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    That's not rated for 4 ohms, so you're not going to see the benefit of the LSi's with that receiver.........not saying the receiver isn't any good......just that it's not a good match for the 9s...........
    maybe i'm not ready for the 9s, i dont know that much about audio
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    1fastz28 wrote: »
    maybe i'm not ready for the 9s, i dont know that much about audio

Just choose another reciever that is capable of driving 4ohm speakers.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Or just get a less powerful receiver and a separate amp. Why **** around if he's not stuck with the Pioneer yet. I would go with a 400-500$ AVR with a 300-400$ used amp. About the same cost, but a step or two above the PIO in sound.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2008
    Maybe we should be talking budget with you instead of speakers. How much are you comfortable with spending on getting a 2 channel up and running? The lsi 9's will sound hands down better than the rti's will, but only if you're willing to invest in a quality amp.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    If you want to get a very good 2-channel system, or plan to use the LSi9s for music as much as movies, I'd grab them for $400 in a heartbeat.

But, as others have said, be prepared to match their quality with very nice components. If you want high end music, get a good integrated to pair with the Lsi9s and you're set.

If you want high end HT, you'll need to have a high-end budget to do it right with an LSi setup. Separate amp would be preferred, speaker cable, a good source, stands, etc.

Speaking of stands, audio advisor had some energy stands (about the right height for tallish LSis) for $30 on sale. I have a pair and love them. Nice black wood base, sturdy metal, and a decent size platform for the speaker to sit on.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    i know it costs money to get good audio, i just dont want to go crazy thats all
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2008
    Would the Lsi9s / Rtia7s be for a 2-channel or HT system? What is your overall budget for the system? What gear do you current have?

If you give us some more criteria, we can help you spend your money wisely on the best system for you.

Just asking if LSi9s for $400 is general. Yes, $400 for Lsi9s is a GREAT deal. . . but potentially not a great purchase if you have limited overall budget and want HT, not music / 2channel.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    i know i keep asking alot of dumb questions so bare with me, would a denon 2308 or 2808 be a good receiver for these speakers?
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited January 2008
    the denon will be fine as long as you hook it and the lsi's up to an external amp. Might I recommend a H/K avr-247 and maybe a used ADCOM GFA-555 or something similar? For the $, that would be tough to beat.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2008
    Again, what is your master plan, 1fastz28? Is it a solid HT setup, or 2-channel music listening, or both (what percentage of each)? What is your overall budget? Answer those questions and I can tell you if the denon 2308 / 2808 is a good choice.
  • 1fastz28
    edited January 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Again, what is your master plan, 1fastz28? Is it a solid HT setup, or 2-channel music listening, or both (what percentage of each)? What is your overall budget? Answer those questions and I can tell you if the denon 2308 / 2808 is a good choice.
    all i want, is a cd player a turntable, and good speakers, its just for music, not for home theater, when i do have a dedicated home theater, i'll use the 9's as rears and upgrade the fronts, but for right now i want to surprise my dad and be able to play all of his old records, he hasn't been able to hear them in 25 years
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    THAT's a different ballgame alltogether!

I might look at finding a cheap passive pre @ ~$80 or so and pick up the 9's and use the money savings over the AVR for a real amp (I like parasounds for the LSi's and dislike HK on them but YMMV) and some upgrades on the vinyl and CD side. Don't waste your cash on a bunch of video stuff you really don't need.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin