High Definition on a normal dvd

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well then, so many people on here(pardon my southern accent) seem to know a lot about a lot of things, lets talk high def shall we? We all could look up the fps of hd content as well as its audio, the space it takes up and the format and container it is in. But, does anyone know why it is the way it is? Its still mpeg 2 right? or maybe mp4 in the future. Aside from all the names and jargons one could call the format, it is still data! Created by a computer!

So then, my question is.. Is it possible to have HD content on a normal DVD, CD media? HD meaning, 1080i/p.

i.e. on a cd, I only want to put lets say 5-10 minutes of HD content and dvd a little bit more, its just data, clips of it!

The only reason I ask, is obviously I do not know! I bought myself computer, with an 8 core total and have 16 gigs of ram, 1600 fsb per cpu. So I am serious. Any input from freaks more then I is greatly appreciated! Ben, I would love to hear from you...

Halen
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    Sure you can, just like you can store HD into your hard drive. There are HD camcorders, I'm sure you can capture the video to your computer from them.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2008
    In the HD-DVD spec, it is possible to put shorter programs on a standard DVD but I believe you would still need a HDDVD burner which doesn't exist yet

EDIT: I think I kind of missed your question. HD video exists in infinite codecs. HDV uses Mpeg2. P2 uses DVCPROHD and then there are all kinds of options with AVIs and Quicktimes.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    I am ripping content from Blue Ray sources. And I do have a Sony high def cam. Whether it be blue ray or hd.. my objective is 1080i/p onto a normal dvd/cd media.. that could be played back.. Correct, high defintion stored on hard drive.. It is the hard drive that created that High Def in the first place, Final Cut Pro. But, I was wanting to know if its possible to have it on normal Dvd/Cd, not Blue Ray or HD disk.

Yes, there are many formats.. I just want to know, and how it was done.. It will save me lots of time.. I want to use the knowledge and apply it to final cut pro.. I have the high def sony already, and I have many upon many 60 minute episodes recorded of my nieces and nephews in HD.. I want it on a media disk.. But I also want to break down high definition to understand it. 60 minutes of the hd cam took up over 200 gigs! But yes, back to the high def on dvd.. how could it be done? head ache!!!!
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    halenhoang wrote: »
    But yes, back to the high def on dvd.. how could it be done? head ache!!!!

It can't without a HD media burner. The BR spec does not allow use of Red laser media while HDDVD does but it technically becomes a HDDVD - forcing you to use a HDDVD recorder and player.

There is not a good and cheap deliverable HD format besides a compressed file that can only be used by a computer.

EDIT: If you want to 'break down' what HD really is, start here: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/pdfs/hdprimer_0306.pdf
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    you can store high def video on a hard drive.. but as someone said.. the high def burners aren't out yet.. that I know of. I could be wrong. if they are.. get yourself a high def burner in your computer and try it.

I don't think trying to burn high def media on a normal DVD will be high def anymore if it works, it would only be standard def.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    you can store high def video on a hard drive.. but as someone said.. the high def burners aren't out yet.. that I know of. I could be wrong. if they are.. get yourself a high def burner in your computer and try it.

I don't think trying to burn high def media on a normal DVD will be high def anymore if it works, it would only be standard def.

Blu Ray burners are out and relatively cheap at $400. Not too many software suites can tackle burning Blu Ray though. Once a consumer HD-DVD burner comes out, you can use standard DVDs and burn advanced HD-DVD content but only smaller items.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    interesting.. i do already have the Blue ray burner.. so hd dvd is achievable huh.. unfortunately, hd dvd.. its not an option.. its about obsolete! Damn these chinese peeps and their blue ray technology! Wait, I have chinese in me!

Keep the info coming.. I am gonna read into the adobe link you sent ledhed, tks for taking out the time to giving me an answer!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    HD DVD and Blu-Ray DVD Burners have been out for PCs for about a year now. I wouldn't buy one, but they're out there. IT guys are creaming their manties for Blu-Ray because of it's storage abilities.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    I could have sworn I read somewhere you could burn "HD-DVD format media" onto a regular DVD disc to be read on an HD-DVD player. I assume the disc size would be limiting though.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I could have sworn I read somewhere you could burn "HD-DVD format media" onto a regular DVD disc to be read on an HD-DVD player. I assume the disc size would be limiting though.

Yes you can. I read on another forum that people were burning "HD-DVD readable media" onto a regular double-layer DVD and then putting these discs into HD-DVD players. And yes, the content was HD!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Yes you can. I read on another forum that people were burning "HD-DVD readable media" onto a regular double-layer DVD and then putting these discs into HD-DVD players. And yes, the content was HD!

I would assume you would need a HD burner though. I hope not, I need to check up on this

EDIT: Well, if you have a Mac you can do it though only Macs can read the output disc. http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hd_dvds_on_sd_dvds_young.html
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited January 2008
    Yes you can put High Definition content on a dvd. No it does not have to be an HDDVD and no you don't need a blue laser burner (hddvd and BRD). you just need to have the correct application. I do it pretty frequently with projects that i am working on. I use DVD Studio Pro. not a cheap application though. the problem with storing HD content on a standard dvd is simply a matter of space. Just like fitting a DVD movie on a CD. It's all about the amount of space you have. HD Video at 1080p is roughly 135Mbits/sec. thats not very much room on a 4.7GB DVD.
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    Apparently Pinnacle Studio 11 can also do this if you are not on a Mac.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I was going to just build my own PC for this application. But thought I would go more into the mac realm, land of the memory hogs!

Adam, that is interesting. That was why I ripped the blue ray(pirates of the caribbean on my harddrive. Initially I did this with the ps3 running linux.. Anyhow, I have it on my mac now and only wanted to do a short clip(to fit) on a standard DVD.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    Ledhed, the drawback is it could only be played back on a mac. I was wanting to play it back on a standard dvd player.

Is the bottle neck the standard dvd player itself? Lets say, I am able to get a clip of high def onto a standard dvd, is it possible to get high def output on a standard dvd player or is it limited to 480?
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    Apparently, the Mac thing works on a lot of dedicated players. Maybe a firmware update did something to help.

I read that for sure the Xbox HDDVD drive can read it as can the HD A2. Later today I may just try burning Blu Ray content in this manner but i doubt it will work.
  • Sami
    edited January 2008
    I am ripping content from Blue Ray sources. And I do have a Sony high def cam. Whether it be blue ray or hd.. my objective is 1080i/p onto a normal dvd/cd media.. that could be played back.. Correct, high defintion stored on hard drive.. It is the hard drive that created that High Def in the first place, Final Cut Pro. But, I was wanting to know if its possible to have it on normal Dvd/Cd, not Blue Ray or HD disk.

Well, you said it was just data. You have that HD file on your HDD, burn it to DVD. As for playing it back, that's a problem. :)

I'm not trying to be a smart ****, I just don't think your question was clear enough. You want to be able to put HD content to a DVD disc. No problem. You also want it to be able to play back? By what device? BluRay player?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    Sami, you are correct, playback is the problem. In search of answers to the problems, but not the problem itself.

I mentioned standard dvd player on my previous posts for playback. And no, you are not being a smart ****.
  • ledhed
    edited January 2008
    Sami, you are correct, playback is the problem. In search of answers to the problems, but not the problem itself.

I mentioned standard dvd player on my previous posts for playback. And no, you are not being a smart ****.

Oh, HD playback on a SD player? Impossible.

DVD uses a ~26.2 Mbps channel data rate while HD-DVD uses 64.8 and BR uses 66.0
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited January 2008
    I know that my panasonic bluray player will playback AVCHD format on DVD, so its possible to do this without a blu burner. Obviously, you can't get a feature length movie on a DVD though, and you need specialized software to create the AVCHD files.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    I know that my panasonic bluray player will playback AVCHD format on DVD, so its possible to do this without a blu burner. Obviously, you can't get a feature length movie on a DVD though, and you need specialized software to create the AVCHD files.

Might be able to get the hd movie and 1 audio on a dual layer?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Sami
    edited January 2008
    I mentioned standard dvd player on my previous posts for playback.
    Either burn it to BD, if you have a burner, or set up a media computer that plays them. Playing HD content from SD DVD player, I don't see that happening, sorry.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    Alright guys! I did it. hahahah, not on a standard dvd player though, aint gonna happen! I got approximately 28 minutes true high definition on a standard dvd disk. No subs, multi audio(dd only), or menu, and it does play back on the ps3. So I know now that I could fit high definition videos from my sony hd cam onto dual layer. The reason for the project was because dual layer disk is cheaper then blue ray. Each one of the tapes are 60 minutes long. I am stoked!!

And of course, I wanted to get the blue ray ripped into its raw format to know it better...
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Halen, you recorded on gual layer? Only able to fit 28 minutes on dual layer? With DD audio?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2008
    Jakelm, I got 28 minutes on a single layer dvd, with DD sound.
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited February 2008
    i didn't read all of this but i think that you can put the files onto cd or dvd, i dont think you can then play them on a dvd player but could on another computer.

never tried it tho.

Payton
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2008
    Compress with H.264. Burn onto standard DVD. Pop disc into a compatible HD-DVD player (Toshiba A3) and enjoy.