Hey all you racing fans...I think its time to say goodbye to Champ Cars

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
After reading this article:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64852

about the departure of Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing to IRL, it looks like that might be the death knell for Champ Cars (used to be CART). The sad thing is that in the 80's and early 90's, CART was considered America's F1 series when Bernie and the F1 group snubbed the U.S. and made it one of the only major countries without a gran prix. CART and later Champ Cars were always pushing the envelope with not only performance but technology some very innovative ideas were fostered in CART/Champ Cars.

I'm sad to hear this news 'cause while TV coverage and support for Champ Cars has waned over the years, it is still one of the most exciting open wheel series to watch. The IRL on the other hand is more like open-wheel NASCAR and stifled by rules, ad-nauseum.

I hope Champ Cars don't go away but I don't think that there will be any name big enough to step up and fill Newman/Haas' shoes. Then again, Newman/Haas has the potential to wipe the floor with their competition in the IRL so it might be interesting there. We'll see I guess.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Not surprising and I m glad,I used to love CART back in the late 80's and early 90's until the split,both IRL and Champ were hurt by that so hopefully with just one series it will get back to were it was.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    That would be a great loss to the auto racing community because the IRL is a freaking joke!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Does that mean I won't be able to watch them drive endlessly in circles?:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    That would be a great loss to the auto racing community because the IRL is a freaking joke!
    And Chump car isn,t? both series are laughable! atleast with just one continuing to exist there is hope that it might get back to what CART was years ago.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »

THANK YOU!

I don't know why more people don't see that. It was a joke when it came out and most people saw it as the uncompetitive teams in CART running off with their ball because they couldn't compete. When they announced it and said it would be nothing but ovals and that they were getting the Indy 500, I was quite upset over it. It's been a joke from the start and now that it's nothing but Honda engines IIRC, it just reinforces the fact that it's bogus because Honda can't compete in any racing venue unless they dump all resources into that single venue and then they will still fail miserably like their defunct F1 efforts (well, not really but might as well be).

What's even funnier is that every year the IRL turns more and more into the CART series they broke away from. Only difference is that they don't have the technological marvels of a car anymore and just have literally open wheel NASCAR.

• Jstas
    edited January 2008

No, you will, IRL is going no where.

• Systems
    edited January 2008
    The last few years Champ cars only raced road /street circuits its IRL that mostly did the roundy round racing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    GV#27 wrote: »
    And Chump car isn,t? both series are laughable! atleast with just one continuing to exist there is hope that it might get back to what CART was years ago.

Actually, the Champs cars and their racing venues are quite good compared to the IRL. They also draw very good crowds, unlike the IRL. John hit the nail on the head!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    edited January 2008
    Yes they had the better cars and venues except Indy but they didnt have the full field of driving talent like the days of Zannardi,Montoya, Mansell, Villenueve,Unser JR,the Andretti's.Who wants to watch Sebastion B win every week/year?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    they didnt have the full field of driving talent like the days of Zannardi,Montoya, Mansell, Villenueve,Unser JR,the Andretti's.

No agruement from me on that one.

President of Club Polk

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    those were the days, Zannardi used to kick ****. when the champ cars were 900+hp monsters.

IRL back then was an unbelievable joke (when the cart guys would run in the indy 500 and the cart teams would place 1st through 7th or 8th, with the irl teams coming up the rear.

it was like "hey, nice little series you got here, dont take the asswhoopin personally" :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites