Harmony Remote stuck in safe mode?

AdamRagland
AdamRagland Posts: 521
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
You guys that own harmony remotes ever have trouble with it going into safe mode? I sold my 670 to another polkie and i wanted to put fresh batteries in it before i shipped it just to be nice and now the stupid thing is in "safe mode" and i can't get it out. I called logitech a couple times but they couldn't help me. I need to get this resolved ASAP because the guy has already paid me and i hate to keep him waiting..
Post edited by AdamRagland on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    Reformat ...load XP...screw vista ;) Sorry , I couldnt resist :D Actually , I was planning on getting one of these remotes in the future, didnt know they could have these types of problems ?
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    me neither, i know lots of polkies have them so i was seeing if anyone else has run into this
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    Did you put the batteries in the right direction/polarity? Don't laugh, I had a Magellen GPS do something similar because I didn't look closely enough at the way the batteries were supposed to be put in. YMMV.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    yea just double checked and im sure.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    First time I hear this kind of issue with a harmony; mine has nnever done that (a 659). Have you tried re-loading the settings from your computer? Maybe that works.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    i think i found the answer. ill post it here just in case someone needs to know:

The words 'Safe Mode' appear on the remote. What do I do?
    Answer

Safe Mode is a diagnostic tool in the Remote used for troubleshooting purposes. If the words "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode Requested" appear on the remote, complete the following steps:

1. Ensure the Remote is in "Safe Mode Requested" by taking out the batteries, and disconnecting the remote from the USB cable.
    2. Hold down the Off button and plug the remote into the USB.
    3. Continue holding down the Off button for another 10 seconds. The remote should then display the words "Safe Mode Requested".
    4. With the unit in "Safe Mode Requested", re-install the firmware by clicking Support on your home page.
    5. Click Firmware in the Downloads section and follow the online instructions to upgrade the firmware.
    6. Once the firmware upgrade is complete, click Update My Remote.
    7. Insert new batteries into the remote.

NOTE: Ensure the new batteries are all the same brand.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2008
    Wow I have never heard of Safe Mode in the Harmony Remotes. I have two 659's and it has never done that.

Thanks for showing us what to do in case it ever happens to another polkie.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png