Inpedence question

Diogenes
Diogenes Posts: 4
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
My wife has purchased an '07 Mercury Montego with the upper end factory sound. It has six speakers, not four.

I would like to replace all the speakers but the one in the rear deck are 2 ohm speakers and I have been told if I go to 4 ohm speakers I will burn up the amp.

I'm not wanting to sink a lot of money into this sound system, just want to get upgrade to some better speakers.

Any suggestions? Can I substitute 4 ohm speakers for 2 ohm? Seems the 4 ohm would pull less current, not more.

Thanks,
Diogenes
Post edited by Diogenes on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    That doesnt sound right. 4 ohms is a smaller load than a 2 ohm. I cant imagine how 4 ohms would fry an amp that is 2 ohm stable. Thats like saying a truck can tow a 10,000 pound trailer but not a 5000 pound trailer.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    That doesnt sound right. 4 ohms is a smaller load than a 2 ohm. I cant imagine how 4 ohms would fry an amp that is 2 ohm stable. Thats like saying a truck can tow a 10,000 pound trailer but not a 5000 pound trailer.

He already said it;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 4
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the quick replies. I suspected the guy was mistaken, just wanted to double check. Any suggestions you may have about which model of Polk speakers to install in this care would be appreciated.

One other tidbit. I have read at Crutchfields that the rear deck speakers on this system are bass output only, that any replacement speaker will only output bass as a result. All the speakers I am looking at come with tweeters with built in crossovers. Will having tweeters installed in a circuit that will not have a signal for them detrimental? Or will the tweeters us be "ornamental" but not detract from the sound? I'm looking at the Polk db651s and the Polk db571. They show that the 571 will not fit the rear deck but depth should not be an issue, there is lots of room under the deck.

Regards,
    Diogenes
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    The tweeters can only be hinderance if that's true.

They won't play bass at all, so that's not the problem. The problem arises when you crank it to the max and the amplifier output starts to clip. Then the tweeter will be making noise, and not a pleasant one. Clip one of the leads going to the tweeter if possible.

Try to find a cheaper 4 ohm woofer only.