Gas saving tips.....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,982
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this helps. ;)
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Here's another tip......Walk.:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    That was pretty interesting info. Thanks.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited January 2008
    thanks for the tip treitz..this was all new to me.. weird because i was just moaining about how many times i have to fill up
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
    I bet the differences are small, but they was a very infromative read.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    BTW, I don't work at a gas facility. I got this in an e-mail to me and I have been following the push to get all gas stations to install temperature compensated pumps throughout the country and I know this information is legit. The industry claims that it would be to expensive to replace all of the pumps, but a lot of the stations replace the pumps every 3 to 5 years. I think what they are saying is that they won't be able to rip us off any longer.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    You have to be joking...
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    No sir. Straight up for real.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    How much difference are we talking Treitz in each instance? like .98 gallons instead of 1.00? I mean how noticable is it?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    I'd love to see, you know, numbers or facts to back up ANY of that.

Here's a hint - they don't exist, because although technically that all may be true, you're talking about infinitesimal differences.

You wanna save gas? Make sure your tires are inflated correctly. Tune up your car, get regular oil changes. Don't accelerate as fast. You'll save 13,000 times more doing just those things than waiting for the coldest time of day to fill up your tank.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    If they just lower gas prices then i won't give a ****. :)
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    In Hawaii, they lose up to 3 cubic inches per gallon as compared to the same gallon sold in Montana. Google is your friend and you will read different views from both sides. Some senators are trying to pass laws that require the industry to retrofit, but the industry is over inflating the cost of retrofitting by 2000% or more.

Hey, I wasn't trying to stir the pot or get into a battle here. I was trying to offer some good advice. Take it or leave it.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    Thanks Treitz, I'll google it.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    No sir. Straight up for real.

It was a rhetorical question. ;)
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Every little bit helps I say. There's 1 station, with 1 particular pump that I use.
    Reason being: The handle/ valve assy leaks by. So everytime I fill up, after I release the handle I get a little extra gas, until the pressure in the hose equalizes. It ain't much, but @ $3/gal. I'll take whatever I can GET!!!:D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Not trying to battle, just offering a.... more practical viewpoint.

Let's say your 3 cubic inches per gallon is a real number, it may be, though I'm guessing it's at the very high end. 3 cubic inches is 1.3% of a gallon. So for a 15 gallon fill up at 3 dollars a gallon, you're talking about 58 cents worth of gasoline. Sure that adds up; if you drive a lot and fill up twice a week you could be talking about 60 bucks a year. But that's Montana vs Hawaii, as you say, not morning vs mid-day, where the difference is probably closer to half a cubic inch per gallon, which is .2% and would end up being less than 10 bucks a year saved.

Just not worth thinking about for that much.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited January 2008
    If most people would just check the air pressure of their tires ....

Here's one I use that saves me far more gas than filling up at 4am. I keep a list in the kitchen of everything I think I need to do/go, then combine my trips as much as practical.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    If most people would just check the air pressure of their tires ....

Here's one I use that saves me far more gas than filling up at 4am. I keep a list in the kitchen of everything I think I need to do/go, then combine my trips as much as practical.

I started doing this as well....I used to run out and do things one thing at a time.....i was burning gas insane.

The BIGGEST gas saver I've found is to stop driving with a lead foot. I find if you drive like a normal civilized person you save alot of gas and get better mpg. This means not driving in sport mode with the differential disabled in my car. :D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2008
    Once gas is in the ground and the temp has stabilized, it should be about 55 degrees reguardless of outside temp. (on a VERY hot day, a little more may evaporate on the short (second or less) trip up to your car, but the differences should be pretty small.

If you want to eliminate even that, pull up after someone else, so they get the gas that was in the pipe on the way to the surface (so it may be a little warmer) and you get the nice cold gas that was sitting in the tank at 55 degrees....

Either way, interesting read.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited January 2008
    You will see negligible difference in gas temp between a morning fill-up and an afternoon fill-up. Once you go about 1 foot underground, the temperature is extremely stable and only fluctuates seasonally. Because of that, a measured gallon can be somewhat different between winter and summer. The standard is for 60 degrees, so in the winter, you may make out better, and in the summer, of course, you loose some. It probably equals out through a year.

There was some talk here in Georgia about making adjustments for in the temperature but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • wizzy
    edited January 2008
    The BIGGEST gas saver I've found is to stop driving with a lead foot. I find if you drive like a normal civilized person you save alot of gas and get better mpg. This means not driving in sport mode with the differential disabled in my car. :D

Ditto here. My cruise control runs about 95% of the time ... if I just go about the average speed or 1MPH slower of the average person on the road.

49 in a 45, 67 on a 60MPH highway.

Most trips are under 20 miles. Let's say you're on a 45MPH road.

48MPH = 25 minutes to get there
    55MPH = 21.8 minutes

So, if you risk a speeding ticket every single day, you save a hair over 3 minutes. And burn more gas ...

Sure, if you're driving 200+ miles (or 2500 miles) then 5MPH starts making a noticeable difference. But I find people tend to speed on 5 miles trips, 15 miles trips. All for ... 30 seconds time savings.

It feels like your getting there faster. But when you sit down and look at the numbers you realize that's all it does, feel faster. Is it worth 15 seconds, 45 seconds, or 1.5 minutes of time savings?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Ditto here. My cruise control runs about 95% of the time ... if I just go about the average speed or 1MPH slower of the average person on the road.

49 in a 45, 67 on a 60MPH highway.

Most trips are under 20 miles. Let's say you're on a 45MPH road.

48MPH = 25 minutes to get there
    55MPH = 21.8 minutes

So, if you risk a speeding ticket every single day, you save a hair over 3 minutes. And burn more gas ...

Sure, if you're driving 200+ miles (or 2500 miles) then 5MPH starts making a noticeable difference. But I find people tend to speed on 5 miles trips, 15 miles trips. All for ... 30 seconds time savings.

It feels like your getting there faster. But when you sit down and look at the numbers you realize that's all it does, feel faster. Is it worth 15 seconds, 45 seconds, or 1.5 minutes of time savings?
    That is, of course, assuming you're only going 7 over the speed limit, instead of 20 or 25.

You know; just sayin'.

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Soy based fuel!!!!!!!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Pork farts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2008
    Dumping my 17mpg Exploder for a 32mpg Honda Accord. Think how much that will be saving me in repairs and gas!

Hoping to lock in a deal with a dealer this week. Saturdays dealer trip yielded me walking out. I'm sure they'll be calling me before the end of the month (Thursday).
    No excuses!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

I thought that was one of the reasons behind the pump line having an "in-line filter" in it. Are you (or whom ever) claiming the filters don't work all that great?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    I remember some race car driver got caught cooling the temp of his gas container to obtain the distance advantage.

Hey StrongBad, check out the Scion xa/xb. Almost as much room as my blazer/your exploder (but actually better than my blazer for hauling stuff around). Coolest thing I ever owned.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    BobMcG wrote: »
    I thought that was one of the reasons behind the pump line having an "in-line filter" in it. Are you (or whom ever) claiming the filters don't work all that great?

DING DING DING!

You run more risk of sucking up water from condesation in an empty tank when the warm fuel hits the cold tank than you do sucking up tank sediment. Water is bad and you might suck up some dirt but that's why your car also has fuel filters too. It actually has two of them. It has a screen sock over the pickup inside the tank to keep chunks out of the pickup tube and it has an inline filter just after the tank that you really should change often. Most cars should have them changed every 15,000-20,000 miles. That alone right there will get you a big improvement in mileage.

Water in the tank though, that's not so much of a problem since they have been using Ethanol instead of MTBE for the "oxygenation treatment" in fuels. Ethanol is an alcohol and bonds with water. I mean, a bottle of DRY-GAS is really nothing more than a bit or kerosene or other solvent as a detergent and mostly isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol bonds to the water which then carries it through the combustion process so it exits the car as water vapor.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    BobMcG wrote: »
    It's not that they don't work great and we need to sue the gas companies for ruining our engines or anything like that.

The part per million of sediment [foreign material] is just increased when the gas is stirred up in the underground tank and is transferred to the gas pump. The in-line filters are rated for filtering a only a certain PPM count, that's all. Risk reduction and common sense. I thought this was a widely known fact?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2008
    One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine.

You get worse gas mileage with a full tank vs half a tank due to the extra weight.
  • wizzy
    edited January 2008
    One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY.

Guess I'm screwed on this one. My tank is always HALF FULL *AND* HALF EMPTY at exactly the same time.

I've never had one happen without the other :D