it is ok to stick to low mid fi?

2»

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2008
    I've thought about this a bit, and I was thinking all kind of thoughts.

I used to have a pretty good 2ch set up from when I was younger, but because of our lifestyle, we mostly just watch movies and concert dvd now and it ended up becomming a 2ch HT. It didn't work well as an HT rig so, I put together the best HT the WAF would allow.

Right now, I have a Motley Crue concert dvd on, and as I was thinking about what I wanted to say here, I went to get a can of soda pop, and I had to stop and sit down and watch it for a bit and admire how much I enjoyed what I was experiencing.

So I guess what I'm saying, is what really matters is if you enjoy what you have that's all that's really important.

But that doesn't mean I don't have the upgrade bug either. ;)

I think I'll go crank it up and watch it some more.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2008
    I think it's all in your expectations.

I have 2 separate 2channel systems and I don't think I have more than $1,500 invested into both. Total. Combined. Of course, I don't expect hi-end sound quality from them, but I am very satisfied with the sound quality provided. While I too would like to get a super-duper all-separates 2 channel and a hi-def audio/video HT systems, somehow I think I will get more fun out of my "cheapie" systems.

So, yes, one can be fine with a low/mid fi system.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    Oh God that's it! Darla's gone off the deep end. Someone call the men in the little white coats!:eek::eek::eek:
    I think all of us OCD tweakers get burned out from time to time..and Bose is the best!:p
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    I've upgraded my system 3x in the past 2+ years, and I enjoy the new speakers- for about a month! Then, it's like, "where's the magic notes?"
    How do I get better sound quality? Add an amp? Pre-amp?
    And how long will the buzz last, this time? My quest is always, 'Can they sound better?' (without over spending). Don't want that whole 'pig in a tuxedo' situation:D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    I don't see why you couldn't be happy. I have quite a nice system. I auditioned one last night that made mine sound like a boombox. I'm still happy with mine. Well, except for the... and the ...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    You have to remember that the audio hobby is a journey, not a destination. So along that journey you should expect to try out different gear and speakers. That doesn't necessarily mean always trying to get to the high-end audio spectrum .... and who's definition of that would you rely on anyway! I think you can be completely happy with low-fi, mid-fi, because it's all your-fi. If you enjoy it, set back relax and enjoy it. If something isn't to your liking, make a change, evaluate it, and send it down the road if it ain't working for you.

I personally enjoy having a HT and a 2 ch system. If push came to shove I could make a single HT/music system work. It's a if you can't love the one you want, love the one you're with kind of deal!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    It's a if you can't love the one you want, love the one you're with kind of deal!

Reminder to self....never leave wife alone in a room with Doug.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable