SQL Guru's!

jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Ok, long shot I know. I usually do this formatting crap in access then dump it to sql for processing but in this case the dB is WAY too big. What I need is a SQL query for converting: 20060310 into 03/10/2006

SELECT
(Left(Right(W2S_FINAL1.[Del_creation_Dt],4),2) & "/" & Right(W2S_FINAL1.[Del_creation_Dt],2) & "/" & Left(W2S_FINAL1.[Del_creation_Dt],4)) AS OrderDate
FROM W2S_FINAL1

Keeps erroring out:

Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 3, Line 1
Invalid column name '/'.
Server: Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid column name '/'.

I know I'm missing something massively stupid., :mad:
If you want to go straight to SQL date, that works as well....
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2008
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    Ok if I understand what you're doing... Open the file up for html editor and remove any database name stuff should be like 2 lines on the first 10 lines or so. The database doesn't like to be named.

Hope that's are I'm missed what you're needed. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    No, this is purely for sql, no html.

Basically, it's erroring out on trying to place the / charector into the srting.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited January 2008
    What SQL database are you using? Microsoft SQL Server? What is the field type that contains the data you're trying to manipulate?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited January 2008
    It could be several things, but have you tried changing the ampersand to a plus? Access uses & while most SQL databases use +
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    Sql server varchar field type. Haven't tried the +'s yet. Thanks!

edit: It's running but has to chew through 50MM records so it may be a while....
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited January 2008
    I don't reconize the syntax of your statement so I am not exactly sure which database you are using. I am assuming the date value is stored in the table as a character string as it looks like you are using substring commands.

Based on the error message, are strings delimited by double quotes? Is the / character a special character? Does it need to be prefixed by another character in order to be interpreted as a character in the statement?

I created the following in an Oracle10i environment:

create table temp
    (
    char_date VARCHAR2(8) null
    );

insert into temp (char_date) values ('20060310');
    insert into temp (char_date) values ('20080124');

SELECT TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(char_date,'YYYYMMDD'),'MM/DD/YYYY') AS ORDER_DATE
    FROM TEMP
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    jm1 wrote: »
    I don't reconize the syntax of your statement so I am not exactly sure which database you are using. I am assuming the date value is stored in the table as a character string as it looks like you are using substring commands.

Based on the error message, are strings delimited by double quotes? Is the / character a special character? Does it need to be prefixed by another character in order to be interpreted as a character in the statement?

I created the following in an Oracle10i environment:

create table temp
    (
    char_date VARCHAR2(8) null
    );

insert into temp (char_date) values ('20060310');
    insert into temp (char_date) values ('20080124');

SELECT TO_CHAR(TO_DATE(char_date,'YYYYMMDD'),'MM/DD/YYYY') AS ORDER_DATE
    FROM TEMP

That looks a ton better. This is in a sql server environment so I'm not 100% that your syntax will work but I'll try it when I get a chance. It's still running tcrossma's version
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2008
    SQL Server

SELECT CONVERT(CHAR(10),getdate(),101)

Oracle

SELECT TO_CHAR(sysdate,'MM/DD/YYYY') FROM DUAL
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    No, this is purely for sql, no html.

Basically, it's erroring out on trying to place the / charector into the srting.

I know but an web page editor.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    edited January 2008
    I was using Query analyzer if that helps. Looks like the TCMA advice works but it's still running....
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited January 2008
    You could use SELECT TOP xx to test it 1st.