Beware FedEx Ground users

billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,714
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
If you're like me, and have a FedEx account, and you send gear by printing labels yourself, you might want to reconsider how you send packages.

I found out that if you send a package to a residence by normal FedEx Ground, they will back charge you for the Home Delivery fee after the fact. I recently sent 4 packages and was back-charged $2.44 for each package because I send them by normal FedEx Ground and they happened to be residential addresses.

If you don't use FedEx often, you may not understand what I mean.
Lemme explain. FedEx used to only offer Ground service. They were/are delivered by the big step vans M-F. This service had a very good reputation for careful handling of packages and on time deliveries. Then they started offering Ground Home, (now called Home Delivery) which uses the smaller vans and delivers Tue-Sat (no Monday delivery). I've seen many people complain that the Home Delivery drivers are rougher with packages and have had more damaged packages from this service. Also, more frequent lost packages, and late arrivals started happening.. (I myself had a couple problems) The good reputation that FedEx Ground had was/is being ruined by the Home Delivery service. Plus, FedEx started charging a premium for the service which adds up to $2.44 per package!

I am one that has been recently avoiding the use of Home Delivery service when I ship packages, not because I am trying to cheat FedEx out of money, but because I WANT my packages sent using FedEx Ground, not Home Delivery. I've never deceived anyone by quoting shipping by Home Delivery and then sending by Ground. I quote for Ground and send Ground. Not anymore I guess. I'll have to do Home Delivery in most cases.

So, anyway, just be aware of this when you send packages by FedEx.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    I only ship using FedEx. very happy about it. in fact later today i'll be there again shipping out some speakers. :)

they have better shipping prices i've found over the rest. Plus my packages get there on average 1 to 2 days faster then with the brown truck guys. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited January 2008
    I don't ship much, but I have no idea if I am shipping to a residence or not. Then again, I don't have an account so, I suspect their ability to back charge me is zilch. What about the people that use "Home" and ship to an office? I don't use home, and I don't like to get stuff via "Home" they do tend to lose packages more. I also find they do a lot of "not available" will re deliver in their tracking when with no incidation of an attempted delivery. (ie, the driver knocks off work early).
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    I will never, ever, never, ever ever again use FedEx Home Delivery after my last experience with them. Fedex Ground is fine and I will pay the extra $2.44 to use that service and pass the expense onto the buyer. Either that or it's UPS or USPS......no matter what service you choose, eventually you will have issues with each and every one of them.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    They have always charged extra for residential delivery. The forms at the FedEx station, and online, have had the residential check box for as long as I can remember.

As far as delivery trucks, in my area, the same trucks that deliver ground also deliver home, but I know in some areas they use sub-contractors for home deliveries.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    I only ship using FedEx. very happy about it.

they have better shipping prices i've found over the rest. Plus my packages get there on average 1 to 2 days faster then with the brown truck guys. :p

Yep, that's been my experience, too. I save a few dollars by taking my packages directly to a local FedEx facility.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    UPS or USPS here. NEVER FedEx unless someone is sending me stuff and paying for it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    i tend to ship a lot of larger packages for some reason latley. and USPS changes an arm and a leg for oversize packages.. I mean it can add about another 50% to the price for shipping. so for small and lightweight packages.. I do use USPS quite a bit. but for larges packages. I have no qualms with FedEx.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    I've been dealing with a USPS claim since November '07 and they have not been very cooperative. I was shocked at how badly they tore up an amp I shipped. The box looked like it had gone through a war zone. Needless to say I'll never use USPS again.

Here's a sample pic:
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited January 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    They have always charged extra for residential delivery. The forms at the FedEx station, and online, have had the residential check box for as long as I can remember.

As far as delivery trucks, in my area, the same trucks that deliver ground also deliver home, but I know in some areas they use sub-contractors for home deliveries.

There wasn't a residential surcharge until about a year ago. Honestly, I don't expect to be shipping much over the next year, but I though I'd pass this on anyway. I'm out of upgrade mode and have likely made all the changes I'm going to make for awhile.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    FedEx Home Delivery is by far the worst. WTH was FedEx thinking???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Another deal with Home Delivery and Kinkos. Called seller, and had him drop to nearest location, Kinkos. Told Kinkos dude to ship to my home, fully insured and gave him the accnt#. Unit arrived with sheared off screws holding the output stages/heat sinks, and the box was a wreck. Called Fed-Ex, which stated it wasn't insured. Called Kinkos, which stated they have no record after Fed-Ex picks it up. No detail was included in the online account shipment logs, so I can't point the finger at either party. I doubt this is an isolated incident. After a heated discussion, and a faxed formal demand, I received a small compensation 100$, plus shipping 32$. If you can get packages at work, have them shipped there to avoid the Home part of Fed-ex. I will be avoiding Fed-ex altogether, except for signed docs.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    THEY all SUCK!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • tbyrne
    tbyrne Posts: 43
    edited January 2008
    Agreed - I won't use DHL and UPS has gotten to be too expensive for me. It's bleak when USPS is the best.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    I always use the USPS. I use insurance not so much for a damaged package because that is a true rarity with USPS but for a lost package which they must pay the insured amount.

I've never had a problem with USPS delivery even to Canada.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited January 2008
    In SoCal, packages delivered via Fed Ex Home Delivery are done by independent contractors, wearing Fed Ex's uniform and driving their own small trucks with FedEx logo on them. They get pay by the pieces delivered, so they have to work fast. It's called "piece-work" in California Labor Law terminology. That's why they're so rough w/the packages.
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2008
    I agree that FedEx Home delivery is miserable. I also second the suggestion to get stuff delivered to your work to avoid that problem. I try not to use FedEx Ground because I have had packages rerouted to Home Delivery with out my knowing about it or authorizing it.

In my work I routinely ship electronics and have electronics sent to me. They range from small parts and boards to 60 Lb calibration cases. In my experieance, FedEx is superior to UPS for getting things there, on time and having them arrive safely.

I just purchased a DAC. I sent the guy a FedEx shipping label, so he could just attach it to the box. That way I know it is insured and has the correct contact information.

If I have a choice I always ship FedEx
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa