Good News...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well, thought I would share some good news with my Polk Family. As many may be going through the same thing with employment, my wife has been really having a hard time with her job. She is/was a Vet Tech. for a local Veterinarian and right before Christmas was working an average of 35-45 hours a week. Well here recently they cut everyone's hours back to around 20 a week. Not only did they cut everyone's hours back, but they've been hiring high school kids to come in at half the hourly rate of their full-time employees and getting the same hours as a full-time employee. Well, that of course is taking money out of my wifes pocket not to mention she doesn't have any benefits of any sort what so ever.

Well, this past weekend my wife got written up for the very first time in the 5 years she has worked there. She has NEVER had a verbal warning of any sort either in the 5 years shes been there. Well of course this struck a nerve in my wife. Some other things have happened to other employees as well in the last month that made my wife come to the decision to start looking for a new job. She began looking the week prior to getting written up and decided to go to Petsmart for employment. Still dealing with animals and seems she spends most of her time there anyways as a shopper.:D Within one weeks time, three interviews later, last night she was giving the Store Manager position. This store is absolutely amazing. Their benefits package alone for full-time employees was enough to make her take the job. She had to go and take a drug test this morning (keeping my fingers crossed, just joking ;) and once the results of the drug test as well as the back ground check comes back, she can start then. She'll be in training for the next 3-4 weeks learning the ropes but once that is done, one of two stores is hers. She is basically a manager at her current job now, just not with the title per say so she's a little nervous to say the least.

So, just thought I'd share that little bit of info with you guys. Not only will she be treated like she should be but now she gets the full benefits as well as a really good raise to boot. Look out local electronics store, once again, just joking.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Very cool, congrats!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2008
    Congrats dude. These types of situations always have a way of working out for the better. You just don't see it at first. Perhaps she should buy you something audio related to celebrate :D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    Good stuff man! A lot of people just sit and take the abuse, it's always good to see someone go out there and find something better....
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2008
    Oh man that ROCKS! Congrats to Mrs. Grimster!

That other joint will get what they deserve! Karma baby, Karma!
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    That's way cool!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited January 2008
    That bad ****. Good people deserve better. F#%! those people givin her **** at her old job. My wife is in the same boat right now, i hope she has the same luck. I 2nd Strong Bad. Karma will get you.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Excellent,glad to hear!!!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    Good deal--I stick it to "the man" every chance I get...hehe
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Congrats to her for the new job. I take my dog to Petsmart all the time and the Vet is there as well. I wish her the best of luck.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
    That's cool news.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Yay! I love to hear good news.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    hey congrats to your wife with the new job. Sounds like Petsmart will treat her much better than her old job. Plus it sounds like a whole lot of fun. Maybe you'll end up with a new pet as well. You do like gerbils right? ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2008
    Congrats! It sounds like your wife deserves to catch a break.

I'm sure she'll do just fine.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    Congrats to you and your wife, Grimster. I think that's really cool that she is taking a positive step on the job front, and it sounds like she'll be much happier at Petsmart.

I own stock in Petsmart and have always been impressed with how well the company is run, which is hopefully a reflection on how they treat their employees.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    That's terrific, Congratulations!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Great news, congrats.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2008
    Great news, Congrats to your wife.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    Very cool. And the best part -- she got a job she'll enjoy.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Grimster, that is great to hear. Sometimes, bad things, actually leads to much better things. Everything has its own reason for occurring. What a blessing in disguise!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited January 2008
    Does she give discount to polkies?! ;)

Give her a big congrats from Kansas...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Congrats! Petsmart is a good co.. They're opening stores left and right. Best of luck.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited January 2008
    Company's that lack 'personal' or 'business integrity' really bite. They take out their poor management skills and poor business decisions on the backbone of their company, the hard-working employees.

Great she got out and landed on her feet before it drained her emotionally.

You should crank up something appropriate, like:

"I'm every woman" or "Take this job and shove it"

Movtarget
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited January 2008
    Awesome, remember I'm your boy and I have 2 new aquariums. I'd love a 200 gallon for a great price. Just kidding, congrats to the wife bro. Its a Celebration.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    Congratulations to the Mrs. Grimster, she'll do fine; the fact that she's nervous shows she's normal people.

It can sometimes take a lifetime to learn how to take something "bad" and, by not letting it drain you, turn it into something good.
    Looks like you to have a jump on that; WTG.

Be sure to let her know, though, that it is NOT okay to bring a couple of ferrets home, no matter how cute they are.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    hey congrats to your wife with the new job. Sounds like Petsmart will treat her much better than her old job. Plus it sounds like a whole lot of fun. Maybe you'll end up with a new pet as well. You do like gerbils right? ;)

Hey, they even sell the tubes there!:D