So it looks like the hydro bills are gonna be going up

glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hey guys,

So, it looks like the hydro bills are gonna be going up in the future. I'm just wondering to what extent some people will go to in order to lower their hydro bills.

For example, would you be willing to switch out all of your incandescent light bulbs for more efficient compact fluorescent ones? What about installing renewable resource generators such as a wind generator and/or solar panels?

Obviously there would be a significant cost up front, but if it could pay itself off and then start saving you money, would you do it?

What about the environment? Would you be willing to go to these measures to lower your impact on the environment?

I just think this is an interesting topic, started talking about it with some friends. Want to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Gerry
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Legit question - why is electricity called hydro?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    He's from Canada.....they are different up there.....
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
    The big utility is Ontario Hydro. Although, they produce most of their power from nuclear.
    Carl

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Legit question - why is electricity called hydro?
    Pure guess but maybe something to do with water turbine generators.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    He's from Canada.....they are different up there.....
    Yes you bet ya.;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • glemay
    edited January 2008
    canada eh, lol

Not sure why it's called hydro... maybe because a good portion of it was made using water, like Niagara Falls or something, not really sure, lol.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Hydro has to do with water? All this time I thought it was something you smoked.......
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    glemay wrote: »
    Want to know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Gerry
    I think Hydro One is out to take every last dime they can from us.:mad:

But yes I think conservation will be something we will all have to get serious about now and in the future.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    I have a better question: Why, when I lived in MA., did I save money from buying my electricity from out of state? The 'source' I guess it would be called. I mean MA. has 2 nuke plants, with a 3rd right over the border in NH?
    And it wasn't just a claim, I actually compared the $ per kw and it was cheaper.???
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Do you really ahve to ask that, obie?

They don't call it taxachusetts for nothing.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    I have a better question: Why, when I lived in MA., did I save money from buying my electricity from out of state? The 'source' I guess it would be called. I mean MA. has 2 nuke plants, with a 3rd right over the border in NH?
    And it wasn't just a claim, I actually compared the $ per kw and it was cheaper.???

It's called deregulation. Let the market determine the price for electricity, not the state regulators. Regulated utilities usually have big bureaucracies because the state allows them to build it into their rates. They are also guaranteed an agreed upon rate of return. No so in deregulated states. The utilities operate like a real business. If they can produce it for less by reducing their costs, then sell the electricity at the market price or below (to lure customers) they make more money.
    Carl

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Got some loaded questions there bud.....
    What impact on the envirement are we talking?
    Change bulbs?- Not likely,floro's give me a headache.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    I've been looking at one of those in-basement nuclear generator systems. They claim that you will never pay another electric bill.
  • glemay
    edited January 2008
    As far as impact to the environment, I think I'm mainly reffering to general pollution, such as that from coal buring power plants. I mean, none of them are really good for the environment. Causes acid rains, and the like, poor air quality. The list goes on and on...

Regarding the fluorescents, has anyone seen the new LED lights that are coming out for residential applications? Strange looking units, but suppose to draw next to nothing power wise.

Gerry
    Main System:

Second System:
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    It's called deregulation. Let the market determine the price for electricity, not the state regulators. Regulated utilities usually have big bureaucracies because the state allows them to build it into their rates. They are also guaranteed an agreed upon rate of return. No so in deregulated states. The utilities operate like a real business. If they can produce it for less by reducing their costs, then sell the electricity at the market price or below (to lure customers) they make more money.

Unfortunately that hasn't turned out to be the case in all but one or two states that have deregulated. Just about every state saw their bills rise, significantly in many cases. One of the key reasons prices have risen is that states have forced vertically integrated utilities that have worked for decades to increase efficiency top to bottom to divest themselves.

I'm no fan of heavy-handed regulation either, i.e. Sarbanes-Oxley.

Southern Company is a great example of where regulation is working for everyone. Southern Company is a solid investment on Wall Street yet rates in Georgia remain 15% below the national average.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d