Okay You Johnny Rebs, This Yankee Needs . .

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Your grits recipes!!!

Ever since I got home from the Georgia Polkfest my wife and I have been making all kinds of grits. Hominy grits, yellow stone ground grits and something no self respecting Southerner would use, QUICK GRITS (yes they taste like ****).

Please be so kind as to post your grits recipies here. I LOVE GRITS but not the clumps of concrete we've been making up here.

So let's have it!!!

PURTY PLEASE.:D
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Smehow,,I knew thats what this post was going to be about before I opened it,,

First get some stone ground grits--(I'll send you some)
    1 cup grits
    1tsp salt
    4 cups h20 brought to a boil

Bring water and salt to a boil,,reduce and cover to low heat,simmer for 20-25 minutes,stirring occasionaly,add water as needed,,season to taste with butter,,options,,cheese,bacon,ham,if you wish. Actually Joe,,they are pretty easy to make,,PM me your addy and I'll send you some I just picked up,,they come directly from the mill,that stone grinds them,,they are called"Georgia Ice Cream". Have fun and enjoy. :D
    http://www.noramill.com/store/recipes.php
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited January 2008
    Jim Dandy grits are my favorite brand, and the brand does make a difference. They make dog food too, but I never let that bother me. WOOF. The above recipe is correct, just remember to stir a lot to avoid lumps. Butter, salt & pepper are all I put on grits, but they are excellent served in a bowl with some brown sugar too. They aren't just for breakfast either. They make an excellent side dish with fried fish. If you make too much, take the leftover grits and pour them in a can. Place the can in the fridge. Next morning turn the can over on a plate and open the other end. Push out the cylinder of grits and slice into 3/8 thick slices. Fry the slices in butter in a skillet until golden brown. Yumm. Tastes like popcorn. You may want to try yellow grits too. Some like them better than the standard white grits.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    Cheese eggs and grits are frequent weekend breakfast fodder for me. I don't do anything special. Make your grits how like them (just no sugar like the Yankees do) and make scrambled eggs with cheese and mix them all together in a big bowl. I've found the key to good cheese eggs is when you add the cheese. When the eggs are like 80% solid, add the cheese and mix it in as the eggs finish cooking and the cheese will be melty but not overcooked.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    eff you Yankee Joe............RT1 where you from?.............oh, Chicago....waaaaaaaaaaaa

RT1
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    If Yankee boy likes GRITS, then Yankee boy needs to move South. This is in the small print of the Yankee greed didn't you know?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Also since when does a Philly person who lives in Delaware a Yankee? True Yankee's don't consider anything below Connecticut State a Yankee, or at least from the backwoods area in which I lived up there.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited January 2008
    To 6 C boiling water add: 2 t. salt, 1 ½ C grits (Quick Grits), cook until
    thick. Use a big pan because it bubbles and jumps out of the pan. Add 1 ½
    sticks butter, 1 lb. Velveeta, 6 dashes Tabasco sauce, 3 eggs beaten. Pour
    into a 12 x 9 Pyrex dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 1 hr. at 350.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    It's physically impossible to make good grits north of the Mason Dixon line. Some sort of law of nature. I'd tell you to move south, but there are too many DAMN YANKEES that have already come here, messing everything up. (we make exceptions for Troy and Ted) My advice to all the yankees craving REAL grits...Visit often, spend lots of money, then GO HOME.

Don't tell any of your friends but we might make an exception for you as well Joe.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    It's physically impossible to make good grits north of the Mason Dixon line. Some sort of law of nature. I'd tell you to move south, but there are too many DAMN YANKEES that have already come here, messing everything up. (we make exceptions for Troy and Ted) My advice to all the yankees craving REAL grits...Visit often, spend lots of money, then GO HOME.

Don't tell any of your friends but we might make an exception for you as well Joe.

You forgot to mention the unGodly heat and humidity which I have a feeling contribute to the consistency and flavor of good ole boy grits!
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Also since when does a Philly person who lives in Delaware a Yankee? True Yankee's don't consider anything below Connecticut State a Yankee, or at least from the backwoods area in which I lived up there.

Well if you had a line up of George Daniel, Steve Shack, and me and you asked each to say the word oil, there would be no doubt as to who the Yank is.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008

Shack, I think there's something to that when you state "It's physically impossible to make good grits north of the Mason Dixon line. Some sort of law of nature." Grits can be made here, but make a Pizza crust, a Sub roll no one can make it like they do it up north. The best one are sent down from the north, some say it's the water some say it the moisture, who knows for sure. Each regain of the nation has it's food specialty and that's it. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Well if you had a line up of George Daniel, Steve Shack, and me and you asked each to say the word oil, there would be no doubt as to who the Yank is.

Oil or Car. One day I was at a house servicing their alarm system down here in Florida and said something about their "Carpet" not only did he state I was a "Yankee" from Rhode Island the smallest state in the union. Just stating RI would freak me out a little, but he stated the CITY in RI still couldn't believe anyone could do that over one word. :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• kcarl
    kcarl Posts: 20
    edited January 2008
    Here is a link to a mill near my house in Oak Ridge, NC. They ship there product all over the US to non-working mills, and stores. This is a genuine stone-working mill. They have a lot of good mills for cookies, etc. also.

My wife is from Charleston, SC and one of her favoriti grit recipes is shrimp and grits. Just cook your grits as usual and add Velveeta cheese and precooked shrimp (we usually us shrimp left over from a previous meal.) Sounds weird but is really good!

http://www.oldmillofguilford.com/
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Smehow,,I knew thats what this post was going to be about before I opened it,,

First get some stone ground grits--(I'll send you some)
    1 cup grits
    1tsp salt
    4 cups h20 brought to a boil

Bring water and salt to a boil,,reduce and cover to low heat,simmer for 20-25 minutes,stirring occasionaly,add water as needed,,season to taste with butter,,options,,cheese,bacon,ham,if you wish. Actually Joe,,they are pretty easy to make,,PM me your addy and I'll send you some I just picked up,,they come directly from the mill,that stone grinds them,,they are called"Georgia Ice Cream". Have fun and enjoy. :D
    http://www.noramill.com/store/recipes.php

I just purchased two types of grits yesterday, stone ground medium white grits and stone ground medium yellow grits.

Thanks for the offer George but I'm pretty stocked up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Shack, I think there's something to that when you state "It's physically impossible to make good grits north of the Mason Dixon line. Some sort of law of nature." Grits can be made here, but make a Pizza crust, a Sub roll no one can make it like they do it up north. The best one are sent down from the north, some say it's the water some say it the moisture, who knows for sure. Each regain of the nation has it's food specialty and that's it. ;)

That is absolutely true. When I was traveling as a field engineer I was all over this country. No Southern or for that matter Western state had rolls, bread, or pizza as good as NY, Philly, Chitown etc.

BTW Philly grits are called scrapple . . .YUM and I mean YUUUUUUMMMMM! There is nothing like it with fried eggs and cheese with bread sopping with sweet (unsalted) butter. You don't want to know what is in it. . . but it is absolutely delicious.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    If the grits aren't swimming in a pound of butter & a cup of sugar you can keep them far away from this Yankee.

But I absolutely fell in love with biscuts & gravy when I went to Las Vegas!

Oh & Joe, I wouldn't feed my worst enemy or a pig scrapple! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    If the grits aren't swimming in a pound of butter & a cup of sugar you can keep them far away from this Yankee.

But I absolutely fell in love with biscuts & gravy when I went to Las Vegas!

Oh & Joe, I wouldn't feed my worst enemy or a pig scrapple! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I only feed it to my friends!:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited January 2008
    heh, I grew up south of the Mason Dixon line, but all the grits we ever had were from a cardboard container labeled "Quaker" :-)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    :eek: JHC! With a friend like you who needs enemies!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::D
    I only feed it to my friends!:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2008
    I can honestly say I've never had grits in my life. Just what exactly is a grit?
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Watch "My Cousin Vinny" you will get a great lesson.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    eff you Yankee Joe............RT1 where you from?.............oh, Chicago....waaaaaaaaaaaa

RT1

You Sir are a traitor and should be tried and summarily executed!:D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    damn, someone beat me to the joke.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2008
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never had grits in my life. Just what exactly is a grit?
    It's stuff that inadvertantly gets under your finger nails ...
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
    Get the slow cooking grits like George described, just some butter and salt. I learned to love them while working in Oak Ridge, TN.
    Carl

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2008
    The key to good grits is heavy cream. The more the better.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    schwarcw wrote:
    Get the slow cooking grits like George described, just some butter and salt. I learned to love them while working in Oak Ridge, TN.

Carl, When were you in Oak Ridge? That's only 20 miles from my house and I've spent a lot of time there over the years. It's a pretty nice little town.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Carl, When were you in Oak Ridge? That's only 20 miles from my house and I've spent a lot of time there over the years. It's a pretty nice little town.

ah excuse me there Reb but you still haven't posted your grits recipe!:D
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    ah excuse me there Reb but you still haven't posted your grits recipe!:D

Like I posted earlier...it's pointless to try to make them north of the Mason Dixon Line...a total waste of good grits!

Just like I've never had a good glass of iced tea north of the Mason Dixon either. I don't know how one can F up a glass of iced tea...but you yankees sure can. :rolleyes:

• shack
    edited January 2008
    I know it can't be done up there...and then you will not only waste good grits...but county ham as well...but here goes:

Grits and Ham

1 cup grits
    1/4 lb. country ham
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    1 tsp.salt

Add grits and salt to 4 cups boiling water, cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add diced ham, salt, and butter to grits and stir- over low heat until done (about an hour), adding water whenever mixture becomes thick and hard to stir. Serves 4.

Simple....but absolutely wonderful!