need opinions for SQ sub

audiofiend
audiofiend Posts: 67
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma reg cab with the following components installed: Eclipse cd5000 source unit
SR6500 Polk components
Polk 400.4 amp to 6500's
MTX subwoofer enclosure made for this truck
no sub or sub-amp

I'm more concerned with finding a sub for SQ than output but I like to play my music loud a lot of the time. I have a significant issue with the 5 inch mounting depth of the MTX sub enclosure because it limits a lot of great sub choices. I have looked at a few subs but want one that can keep up with the awesome SR's. What about Elemental Designs SQ10? Any advice is welcome.
Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
Polk Audio - PA 500.4
Subamps?
Mids: Polk Audio - SR6500
Tweeters: Viva XT 25 SC 90 - 04
Subwoofers:?
Wiring?
Post edited by audiofiend on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2008
    I'd be more more inclined to look at Image Dynamics' IDQ Series over anything from ED- the quality may be OK, but ED's business practices make me shudder :eek:.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=36&category_id=23

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?currentpage=2&fuseaction=page.display&category_id=23&page_id=14&mfg_account_ID=36

You'll need to know the internal volume of the enclosure to make a good match to a specific sub, and if it's on the small side, the IDQ series are a good choice (either v2 or the newer, more expensive v3). They work very well in sealed enclosure applications. You may need to use an MDF mounting ring on the face of your enclosure for a little extra depth with some of those...5" is cutting it pretty close for most of the mid- to upper-level choices.
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for your help Greg.Don't know much about ED as a company, thanks for the FWI. Gonna check out those ID's.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2008
    The IDQ's are a good choice. I had the Arc Audio version, the ARC 12D2.....SQ oriented driver like the Q, but can get get a little louder.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    +1 for the Image Dynamics, IDQ series.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2008
    what's wrong with eD's business practices? This is new to me.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited January 2008
    i like the idq, jl 12w6, stereo integrity mag and dont forget the polk sr124-dvc. there are lots of great sq subs to chose from, just do your research.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2008
    Toxis wrote: »

I think copying other designs and passing them as their own is one of the things I remember reading.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    sr124svc.jpg
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008

Besides having horrible customer service, stealing designs from other companies, making remakes of other subs using cheaper materials and selling it for more, **** people on pre-orders, and the owner in general being a complete moron and dick, nothings wrong with eD's business practices.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Greg Peters
    edited January 2008

:D:D

I think copying other designs and passing them as their own is one of the things I remember reading.
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Besides having horrible customer service, stealing designs from other companies, making remakes of other subs using cheaper materials and selling it for more, **** people on pre-orders, and the owner in general being a complete moron and dick, nothings wrong with eD's business practices.
    -Cody

...not to mention complaints of selling sound deadening products that peel off in normal warm weather, and when customers call to complain eD yells "user error" and won't stand behind their product. It doesn't help that they billed the first run of deadening products as "butyl"- an appropriate (for the purpose), inert, quality material used by competitors, when the eD product was in actuality asphalt (found in roofing materials, which releases fumes when applied inside a vehicle). When questioned about this, eD outright lied, then claimed they were being "bashed by haters" :(.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

It's reported that Ben Milne, the owner of eD, has history pitching their products as unique, proprietary, when in fact they're simply someone else's design with "Elemental Designs" screened onto the product, ordered from a buildhouse "off the rack". Using a build house is not unusual in the industry, but buying something already on the market and putting your logo on it all the while claiming you designed it is. Their subs are not of their own design, in spite of claims "they were sketched on a napkin", nor are their amps- Milne claims he designed them, but they are available from the original manufacturer with better specs than the eD-branded version. Some searching online will get you a whole bunch of controversy associated with Milne and his company, and it's probably not worth the headache to buy anything from them considering their honesty and customer service issues.

There are lawsuits pending against the company (JL has issues with one of their "designs", a sub basket that looks to be cast from an original W7 piece then "ED"ified :eek:)

You'll find various rants at http://www.caraudioforum.com/ ...search "eD" or "Milne". Be prepared to spend a few hours just to scratch the surface. While the actual speakers/subs/amplifiers might be OK in terms of quality, their specs are misleading and sometimes don't get updated from prototype to actual production products, and improper specs can lead to less than optimum application by the consumer with less than optimum results and/or longevity. I won't be buying any, because I don't need drama included with my purchase.
  • Greg Peters
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    sr124svc.jpg

I agree with the recommendation, but he'd need a shoehorn to squeeze the 7" the SR needs into a 5" space. I don't imagine mounting the basket out would be an option with his vehicle-specific enclosure.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    And lets not forget ED's fanbase. :D

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14192
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »

I remember the first time I tired going through that thread. Definitely an entertaining 2 hours.
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    just got to read some of the ignorant comments from http//:www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14192. What up with wetting your pants when you listen to music? How old are these guys? I'll hang with my POLK buddies thank you. Does ed stand for "extremely dumb"?
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • surefire
    surefire Posts: 25
    edited January 2008
    Give the DLS Iridium or Nobelium subwoofers a try. Extremely good SQ and don't require a whole heap of space to work in.

And the new Morel Ultimo is probably the best SQ on the market at the moment.
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    I didnt think about DLS Who wouldnt love to have a Morel (oh wait.......I know) thanks for the sugg.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • surefire
    surefire Posts: 25
    edited January 2008
    audiofiend wrote: »
    I didnt think about DLS Who wouldnt love to have a Morel (oh wait.......I know) thanks for the sugg.

Yeah, DLS make some of the best SQ subs. I've got a Nobelium 10" and it needs about 100 hours to run in, but once it has, damn it blends in seamlessly.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    Pioneer makes shallow subs if you are interested. Not usually seen as a "hifi" audio company, but can make some cool stuff.
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    After looking at the specs for the IDQV3 sub I am heavily considering it. I still have a few questions though i.e., how will the tone match with the SR's, does the IDQ vent through the rear and does it matter how much space there is between it and the rear of the enclosure, should I dampen or stuff.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • Greg Peters
    edited January 2008
    audiofiend wrote: »
    After looking at the specs for the IDQV3 sub I am heavily considering it. I still have a few questions though i.e., how will the tone match with the SR's, does the IDQ vent through the rear and does it matter how much space there is between it and the rear of the enclosure, should I dampen or stuff.

The V3 is bound to be a nice sounding sub- I've heard the previous versions, and for uncoloured lower frequencies, ID's are always a good choice. They get reasonably loud off few watts while maintaining great SQ, and don't require a large enclosure to do so. They're better suited to a sealed setup but can work ported if necessary. As for stuffing your enclosure, can't answer that until you determine the volume of the enclosure you intend to put it in and compare against ID's specs.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited January 2008
    I've actually been thinking about going with on 10" IDQ.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    Mtx claims that the thunderform box is 1.0 cubic foot even
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • audiofiend
    edited January 2008
    I like the frequency range for the IDQ. It goes low AND probably sounds great doing it from what G.P. says.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Wiring?
  • Toxis
    edited January 2008
    I've been considering doing an IDQ10 IB in the rear deck... I was going to do the SR12 with 1kw but I can't find a box idea I really like. Don't want to lose a lot of trunk space, need to have the full pass through to the front, don't want to a false floor as I throw stuff all over the trunk and sometimes heavy stuff (yes, even wood!) and don't like the idea of taking the side portion. An IDQ10 or 3 8" subs in the rear deck IB is looking REALLY tempting. I have 300w or 1kw amps available just in case I can get an IDMax for a good price. ;)

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    I've been considering doing an IDQ10 IB in the rear deck... I was going to do the SR12 with 1kw but I can't find a box idea I really like. Don't want to lose a lot of trunk space, need to have the full pass through to the front, don't want to a false floor as I throw stuff all over the trunk and sometimes heavy stuff (yes, even wood!) and don't like the idea of taking the side portion. An IDQ10 or 3 8" subs in the rear deck IB is looking REALLY tempting. I have 300w or 1kw amps available just in case I can get an IDMax for a good price. ;)

Sounds like you've been looking at this for a while and got it all figured out.

I'd say the 300 watt amp due to the IB setup. Unless yo do go IDMAX.
  • Toxis
    edited January 2008
    I don't have it figured out but I'm definitely looking into my millions of options. I have the amps and gear, just need the sub of choice and the wires to get it all in... damn options.

• Hi-Buy
    Hi-Buy Posts: 110
    edited January 2008
    Lots of good suggestions so far especially idmax,morel, w6's and I'll add rainbow audio for another not so main stream company.
    Big thanks to "Neskahi" !
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Id like to add the FI Q to the list...good ****.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • grateful72
    grateful72 Posts: 38
    edited February 2008
    I own the IDQ10.v3. I am sending 300 watts rms to it, and it sounds awesome. No complaints whatsoever. My box is ~ 1.0 cubic feet sealed.

I can't imagine that you would be dissapointed.
  • Toxis
    edited February 2008
    ^That's actually the way I'm leaning currently. A single 10 in my rear deck off 300w. Not definite. I might get a hair up my butt and go with the SR and 1000w but man, I doubt I'll ever want that much output or to take up my trunk space.