Spam. How in the hell do you get rid of it?

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,982
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I have an e-mail account [Yahoo] that I have had for a LONG time. All of my business cards that have been passed out over those years, family and friends all know me thru this one particular e-mail addy and occasionally a big job [worth thousands of $$$] comes via this e-mail addy from a client that I maybe haven't heard of from years.

I have tried un-subscribing to Spam over and over again, but they keep coming back, it seems like with a vengeance. I am at the point to where I am getting between literally 50-75 Spam e-mails in one day [seems like 2-300] which takes up a lot of my time and occasionally I will delete an important e-mail because my eyes get tired between the lines while I'm deleting.

What options do I have with keeping the same e-mail addy?

Or am I screwed? Please. I beg of you. HELP!!! :(
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Stop going to **** **** sites.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Hehe. Damn, that's cold.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    Never "un-subscribe" to anything.

Once you do that, "They" know that they have a live address for a live person.

Use the "Spam" filter thing on Yahoo.
    Tag the spam email as "This is Spam".

It'll take a while for you to clear things up (hey, it's your fault, you let them know you were alive), but hang in there.

And, as our resident Dispenser of Wisdom has said, stop visiting **** **** sites.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Never "un-subscribe" to anything. Once you do that, "They" know that they have a live address for a live person.
    That makes sense. Around and about the time I got fed up and started un-subscribing, that's when the **** hit the fan.

How long do you think it would take to clear it all up? If ever. At least nobody has said yet that I'm screwed. That's encouraging. :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Years.....LOL
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited January 2008
    mr. Big hit it on the button.

Just keep reporting the addresses as spam. They will eventually slow down. Never us-subscribe to unsolicited email. Just setup to block or just delete it (just to be safe, don't open either).
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    It will never, ever go away, sorry.

As has been said, never unsubscribe, also never OPEn them - if there are remote images and you don't have them blocked, that's just more confirmation that you're looking.

If you just mark it all as spam and ignore it it may slow down, and the spam filter will catch more and more of it, but the only way to get it to stop is to switch addresses.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    **** ****!!!??? And you want me to come over tomorrow to "see your big amp"!
    Uhhhhh...I have to wash my hair...That's it, wash my hair. Maybe later, Tom.
    F*ckin' Mutant!!

Do it once with Doro and now everybody wants some!

:D:D:D:D:p:p:p
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    MailWasher use it. When a spam email comes in use the bounce button the spammer keeps getting the bounce email back to them, and will quit sending email to you. At first it may cause additional emails as the spammers see the bounce and resend the email, but with in a week you're clean.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    I've been changing e-mail accounts recently due to spam, so I know how you feel. However, I'd suggest making a "white list" for all your contacts and block everyone else. I did this for a few months and the spam started going away.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    No MailWasher love here? They have a free version one pop account. Pro can have multiple accounts if needed and an automatic spam filter, really sweet if you have a lot of email each day.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Well, I'm hoping I WILL become a fan. I just have to go thru 2,170 some odd e-mails. So far I think I found about 15 e-mails that actually were addressed to me by folks I actually want to hear from. All of the rest are spam.

I am now blocking images [that's new to me, thanks] and will look into this Mailwasher stuff when I'm done clearing out my account [in another day or two :rolleyes: ].

Thanks everybody for your suggestions so far. I really do hope they work.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    2170 odd emails Install MailWasher today you're going to kiss my next time I see you. Please hold off until I'm drunk first ok ;)

BTW if you use Outlook and use Contacts, Calender, or something else turn off get email "Schedule an automatic send/receive every X". This way you can sort pass the crap if needed and will not download into outlook if you need to open for something else.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have an e-mail account [Yahoo] that I have had for a LONG time. All of my business cards that have been passed out over those years, family and friends all know me thru this one particular e-mail addy and occasionally a big job [worth thousands of $$$] comes via this e-mail addy from a client that I maybe haven't heard of from years.

I have tried un-subscribing to Spam over and over again, but they keep coming back, it seems like with a vengeance. I am at the point to where I am getting between literally 50-75 Spam e-mails in one day [seems like 2-300] which takes up a lot of my time and occasionally I will delete an important e-mail because my eyes get tired between the lines while I'm deleting.

What options do I have with keeping the same e-mail addy?

Or am I screwed? Please. I beg of you. HELP!!! :(

All of a sudden this past month I've been inundated with spam. Never had the problem before.

I use MS Outlook and it doesn't have a spam filter just some bogus Junk mail option which just shows the spam in a different color.

Wooptidamdo!!!
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2008
    you eat the spam it tastes good
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »

Steve is this compatible with MS Outlook?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Same for you Joe install today.

BTW I'm a "Firetrust" stock holder the company behind MailWasher. Not but a BIG fan.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Joe it's a pre email catcher works with everything I think anyway. I use it with both Outlook express and Office Outlook. It washes email before the email reader can download it so my thinking it would work with anything.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    When I used to have Comcast, I just marked the Spam until it learned.

1.gif
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2008
    Steve, it ain't doing jack for me right now. Apparently I had set up another e-mail addy that I didn't even know about years back and the program is "protecting" that one. What to do?

Keep in mind I know jack about computers.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Tom, I believe if you're using the "Free" version that you may need to click bounce then process. If you're getting a lot of crap Email a day then look in the "General Options" click off "Launch email application after processing" and "Minimize MailWasher after processing". Doing it this way you can go though the crap email and process to remove then have a cleaner look to bounce or delete further. As you bounce emails back like you changed your email address the spammers will stop or get so few you don't think about it, it may take a few days as spammers don't quit after a day. You can try the pro version and it does the spam check for you automatically.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Tom also I think the "Free" version will do one email the pro does more then one. You could try to add another email account but I don't think so.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Tom, I thinking if you got 2 email accounts, and 1 is given trouble do that one on MailWasher. So this will clean the email spam problem then it's your call if you like it or you need "Pro" because of more then 1 email account.

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2008
    Just open a Gmail account.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Just open a Gmail account.

Yep.

Except for an occasional unwanted myspace invitation, I can't recall getting any spam with my gmail account.

Treitz -- you can automatically have your yahoo messages sent to whatever new account you set up.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • disneyjoe7
    edited January 2008
    Funny I don't get any spam on my 10 email accounts also with MailWasher and I didn't need to redo all my email accounts. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer