Truck Tire Question

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Let's say I have 235/75/15's on my truck and I need to replace them cause they are shot... can I put on 225/70/15's? What is the second number there? Obviously, it would be slightly smaller tires from the 235 to the 225, but I have no idea what the 75 and the 70 stand for.

Fill me in you car guru's! :D
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    70 is the width of the tire. Think of it as the distance from the edge of the rim to the tire tread.

Curious, why would you want to downsize tires on your truck? 99.9% of people go the next size up.....
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    Cause they are cheaper and it's a beater truck! And I found some tires on CL for a great cheaper price... and trying to save money. That's why!

So, would they actually fit, or would I need to stay with a 75 for my rims?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    The second # is the height from the rim to the road. You'll be fine, it'll just look like a smaller tire.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    The tires you are looking at will be both shorter and narrower. You should be ok, if you want to know for certain if the new tires will fit on your rim, either check out the tire manufacturer's website, or tirerack.com. Both sites should have a suggested rim width for the given tire size, as well as a range of rim sizes the tires will work on.

The numbers in the tire size mean the following:

tread width/aspect ratio/rim size

So for a 225/70/15, the tread is 225 mm wide, the sidewall is 70% of 225 mm tall, and the opening in the tire is 15 inches in diameter.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited January 2008
    i always thought the lower the second # the fatter the tire was. 60's were always fatter them 70's. 50's are real fat. i thought the first #was the hight .
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Here's what I was looking for: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

More info then you'll ever need on tire sizes.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    The second number is the aspect ratio of the tire width. If your tires are 235 75 15's the the height of you sidewall would be 176.25mm. If you had 225 70 15's the hight of the sidewall would be 157.5mm. Thats a 18.75mm difference in sidewall times 2 equals 37.5mm, or about 1.5 inches.
    So the 235 tire is 29 inches
    and the 225 tire is 27.5 inches
    so at 2500 rpm with the 235 tire you would be going 80mph
    and the 225 tire 76mph
    Final answer...
    Yes they would fit witha slight decrease in mpg, and slight increase in power.

These calculations have been made assuming a rear end ratio of 3.08, over drive of .87, and 2500rpm engine speed.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    The second number is the aspect ratio of the tire width. If your tires are 235 75 15's the the height of you sidewall would be 176.25mm. If you had 225 70 15's the hight of the sidewall would be 157.5mm. Thats a 18.75mm difference in sidewall times 2 equals 37.5mm, or about 1.5 inches.
    and the 225 tire 76mph
    Final answer...

These calculations have been made assuming a rear end ratio of 3.08, over drive of .87, and 2500rpm engine speed.

Wow... did you do all that in your head ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• ben62670
    edited January 2008
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Wow... did you do all that in your head ;)

Not all of it. Some of the voices in my head helped me out:) I actually used to to do a lot of calculations for my 68 Bronco to get the Cam/intake/exhaust to match my gear ratios. Having a 3 speed auto you had to be careful not to get too wide with your tranny gears. Ideal would have been 4.56 rears, but even with the 4.11's I only get 8mpg with 12 gallon tank:eek:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    Not all of it. Some of the voices in my head helped me out:) I actually used to to do a lot of calculations for my 68 Bronco to get the Cam/intake/exhaust to match my gear ratios. Having a 3 speed auto you had to be careful not to get too wide with your tranny gears. Ideal would have been 4.56 rears, but even with the 4.11's I only get 8mpg with 12 gallon tank:eek:

I'm jealous... that the voices only talk to you!

Thanks for the info. I actually found 4 Goodyears with the same aspect ratio that I am currently running... now if I could only get a hold of the guy!!! If not, then back to the drawing board for me. Maybe I should go with 13"? Mean lean, ugly machine kinda style... hmmm... ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tom t
    edited January 2008
    what would be the aspect ratio of a glazed doughnut from dunkin doughnut's?????
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Don't forget if you change your tire size your speedo will also be off by a bit. Not that they're super accurate to begin with but it's still something to remember.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    tom t wrote: »
    what would be the aspect ratio of a glazed doughnut from dunkin doughnut's?????

Seeing the height is usually equal to width it would be 100%. Now cruller style dough nuts are taller than wide I would have to say about 80%. Now jelly, and cream filled just have me completely baffled seeing there is no whole:confused:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Don't forget if you change your tire size your speedo will also be off by a bit. Not that they're super accurate to begin with but it's still something to remember.

Gotta love the Brotherhood of Blue and my trusty ID I keep handy in my wallet for moments like these! ;)

Even if I am no longer on the force... hehehe... gotta get perks from somewhere right?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• tom t
    edited January 2008
    good one ben, boy, are we bored or what!!
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2008
    another point....... if you are driving an all wheel drive truck the front and rear wheel diameters need to be the same + / - 1/2" of each other.
    The transfer case can be damaged by the wheels having different circumferences therefor different rotation rates. Additionally Lower profile tires can provide a harsher ride than your stock higher profile tires. My jeep srt8 had extremely low profile tires stock and runflats at that. They were like driving a roller skate with metal wheels. I changed to 60's from 30's and the ride is now much more pleasurable.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    I've never understood the ****/xx/xx naming scheme, so I'm VERY glad to have read this thread and read an understandable explanation of it. However, if I'm thinking about it right...wouldn't going from 60's to 30's be DECREASING the sidewall? I mean, from what I read in strider's first post, the second number is the height of the sidewall, in percent, in relation to the width of the tread. So a higher aspect ratio would give a taller sidewall while a lower aspect ration would give a shorter sidewall, no?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I've never understood the ****/xx/xx naming scheme, so I'm VERY glad to have read this thread and read an understandable explanation of it. However, if I'm thinking about it right...wouldn't going from 60's to 30's be DECREASING the sidewall? I mean, from what I read in strider's first post, the second number is the height of the sidewall, in percent, in relation to the width of the tread. So a higher aspect ratio would give a taller sidewall while a lower aspect ration would give a shorter sidewall, no?

You've got it!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    and the 225 tire 76mph
    Final answer...

Beautiful Ben it was in line of what I was going to say, and I was afraid this smaller tire size well save $ now but cost him later in MPG. If you what to go smaller 235 to 225 you need to increase the second ratio number 75 to 80 may work. But then you could always buy the correct size but a cheaper tire brand. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    The ****/xx/xx convention is the worst measuring convention in the world.

millimeters / percent / inches? REALLY?

The percent one is the most nonsensical, but just the fact that the standard involves having two sets of units in the same number is absurd.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.