Alittle PC help...

jakelm
jakelm Posts: 4,081
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
OK. I know PC's are talked about to death around here. But I have just a couple of questions.

My friend's PC will not update with windows. Gives an error when windows goes to scan the sytem for updates. Windows error reports a host problem, but the fix did not fix it. Niether did disabling AVG.

I ran an AVG scan and it, unfortunatly found 36 viruses and trojans. And thats with McAfee running and updated. So I removed McAfee and installed AVG. McAfee did not find any of the viruses when it scanned. Thats why I did away with it.

I'm trying to update his PC because, he is getting a syntax error, thats effecting Java. Web pages using java advertising, seems to be currupted. The block where the advertizing should be just flashes a grey screen with "Warning your computer might be infected". I reinstalled java, now the grey screen only appears now and then, but there must be something wrong. When accessing yahoo music website, and error of syntax and some type of argument box pops up, then back comes the grey box with the "you have a virus " box. But the bos is not a warning box, it only shows up in the square where the advertising should be.

I know this is alot of info, but any help would be appreiciated...

One more question, when AVG, or any other anti-virus program, puts a trojan and/or virus in a "valt", instead of healing it, what is it doing? If I delete it in the vault, have I healed it or removed it from my PC?

Thanks a bunch

Jake
Monitor 7b's front
Monitor 4's surround
Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
M10's back surround
Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
Harman/Kardon AVR-635
Oppo 981hd
Denon upconvert DVD player
Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
Mit RPTV WS-55513
Tosh HD-XA1
B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
Post edited by jakelm on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    personally.. i'd reformat the HD and reinstall everything again... that way you'll be sure to get rid of the virus's and trojans. but that's just me.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Oh one other thing...lol..

I went to pcpitstop. It advised me that the pc was optimized for modem connection, not cable. It told me to go into regedit and in a file add a tcpwindows size. then a value. I saved my intire regitstry and did what pcpitstop told me. It seemed to encrease my uploading of wab pages alot. What did adjusting my registry do?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    personally.. i'd reformat the HD and reinstall everything again... that way you'll be sure to get rid of the virus's and trojans. but that's just me.

Thought about it. But he does have alot of info he needs to save and no way to save it.

So I come to you guys to see if there was fix without reformating.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited January 2008
    In this case it's really handy to have an external USB hard drive case that you can put the problem drive in and access it from another machine. That way you don't have to fight with windows and the viruses while trying to clean things up. Usually a much smoother and easier process but may have to shell out some bucks for an external usb case.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I had a PC with a few viruses and neither AVG or McAffe picked them up. I then installed Trend Micro PC-cillin, it was able to get rid of all the viruses and fix the machine. But with the amount you have, you're going to need a lot of luck.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    I had a PC with a few viruses and neither AVG or McAffe picked them up. I then installed Trend Micro PC-cillin, it was able to get rid of all the viruses and fix the machine. But with the amount you have, you're going to need a lot of luck.

Not alot anymore. AVG took them out. But stiil confused about the syntax and argument warnig with java advertizement. Also about the vault thing, I deleted what was in the vault, does that mean I removed it from the PC?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 931
    edited January 2008
    The TCP window size determines how much data Host-A can send to Host-B without receiving the acknowledgment. So, a larger window size is recommended to improve TCP performance in network paths with large bandwidth or long-delay characteristics.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Whoa. Wrong thread. How the hell did that happen?

My apologies.......carry on......
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    Download one of the boot CD's with updated virus scanners, and run anti-virus outside of Windows. The best way to find out if there still are any left. If you decide to run it from Windows only make sure System Restore is not enabled when scanning.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    I use AVG, Mcaffe, Spy Sweeper and best of all that I can afford Zone Alarm Pro all at the same time at times. Zone Alarm has been the best so far. Try downloading a trial version of the software. Check you PM for additional info.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    Why not try using the Add/Remove Program feature to remove whatever java console he has then get a new one from Sun or somewhere like that?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Off or upload what you need, and write the whole HD to zero. If the information is important, he needs to make a backup anyway, so do it now and wipe the drive.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited January 2008
    Run AVG in safe mode, then run Spybot Search and Destroy, if it still does not update after that (like a customer laptop I fixed) start registering the dlls.

Here's my billing text with MS reference numbers:
    Ran MS updates: error code 0x8DDD0004 - registered dlls and reset BITS and Automatic Update via services.msc - KB 914224, and then resetting global security parameters via command line - KB 313222. After three hours of various attempts, finally got update to work using MS 555989.

If you can get an external USB Hard Drive, backup all the data and reformat and reinstall - that's the best, fastest, and easiest way.
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    OK...throw THAT puter away and buy one of these I have on my shelf waiting to be used.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    This is the only way to get rid of his issues.

Easiest for sure, but certainly not the only way.
    I use either Norton Ghost or Acronis to make the clone images.

g4u is a good, free tool for that.
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all the info. I have talked him into buying, at least, 2g usb drive and put his info there and allow me to reformat the drive.

After running another scan, AVG is giving us a host error. I will try and run the repair xp disk first, then run AVG in safe mode. The host error is somethig similar to the fix that windows is telling us about not being able to update. We shall see what happens.

I have done many repairs on pc's, this problem has really thrown me for a loop. I thought with all the good software out there, reformatting was a thing of the past. The last reformat I had to do was about a year ago.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Popped in a DVD last night, for the first time with this new PC. A pop up box came up, as the dvd was loading, saying I need to download a PCDVD software to access additional material. I cancelled that pop up, and tried to watch the movie, but it would not play. I then accepted the pop up and it didnt install properly on many tries. I have yet to get it correct.

It did however play on my Nero movie player, but no sound becuae it is DD. Nero wants me to purchase a DD codec for the audio.

I have never had any problems watching a DVD with my older PC. Using VLC or WMP. But now I cant watch on anything. I am using the same DVD rom I had in my older PC. If memory serves me correct , I used to get a Pop up screen that would ask me what I wanted to watch this movie on. I have also tryed my WimAmp, but like all the other players, gave me an error and had me close the player down.

What is a good (free) player to watch movies on, that will come with a DD codec?

Does anyone know what that PCDVD program is?

Seems like these pc's are one headache after another. First with my friend's, now my personal one.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited January 2008
    I used GOM player, VLC or WINDVD8 when all else fails

I have VLC, but cant get it to play the whole movie just one vid file at a time.

GOM or WINDVD8 are free?

What is your main favorite player?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000