What are the "best" Hi-Fi stores in D.C. area...

jswilk
jswilk Posts: 12
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Heading up to the Washington D.C. area next week looking for some suggestions on the "best" home theater stores in the area to demo products....stores with great customer service and product selection.......
Post edited by jswilk on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Crazy Doro's;):D
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited January 2008
    SoundWorks
    Connecticut Ave
    Kensington MD

Jim
  • jswilk
    edited January 2008
    jtgranby wrote: »
    SoundWorks
    Connecticut Ave
    Kensington MD

Jim

That's one I called that sounded like a keeper.......
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Got deep pockets?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2008
    What are the "best" Hi-Fi stores in D.C. area...
    the "best" home theater stores in the area

Which one do you want?

SoundWorks is mostly high end hi-fi with some HT. A place like Myer-Emco is more HT and some hi-fi.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jswilk
    edited January 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    Which one do you want?

SoundWorks is mostly high end hi-fi with some HT. A place like Myer-Emco is more HT and some hi-fi.

I'm looking for a place I can demo brands like Parasound, Paradigm, Integra, Mirage, Addcom, higher end Denon........and talk to sales people who want to answer your questions, take time with you, and who know what they're talking about.....
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    You could try Gramaphone in Columbia.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2008
    You can try Camelot on M street
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    m00npie wrote: »
    In Georgetown?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    In Georgetown?

No, in D.C. and I'm only kidding :D
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited January 2008
    m00npie wrote: »

He isn't looking for pasties:D

Jim
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited January 2008
    DejaVu Audio in McLean VA
    http://www.dejavuaudio.com/

Soundscape in Baltimore (Polk's first dealer, just up the road from Johns Hopkins)
    http://www.soundscapemd.com/

EDIT: Is the Gramophone in Columbia the one that used to be off of Falls Road on the north side of Baltimore?
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    The Gramaphone that was off of Falls Road moved to Timonium just off of York Road. I believe they opened the one in Columbia after they moved to Timonium.

I stop in to the Timonium store about once a month. I was at Soundscape last week. I like Soundscape better.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited January 2008
    Soundscape was the best in town back when I lived there and had disposable income to spend on hifi stuff.

Bought a pair of used Dynaco A-25s for my father at the original Gramophone back about 1979 :-)

DejaVu in McLean is really excellent for good hifi. He (Vu) makes and sells snob-grade equipment, but the staff are not terribly snobbish at all themselves.
  • jswilk
    edited January 2008
    Hey thanks to everyone, went up to DC and heard some great speakers.....at Soundworks I heard Aerial Acoustics for the first time and what an amazing sounding speaker, I also had to opportunity to scratch some brands off my list like Paradigm.....Thank for the good advice on where to go.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Out of the stores you visited, which one would you say impressed you the most or was your favorite if you don't mind me asking?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    Which Aerial, the 20T?

President of Club Polk

• AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited January 2008
    i made the trip with jswilk and i have to say i enjoyed our time at soundworks more than any of them. from the look of the outside of the shop i thought it was gonna be a dump but it was very nice. the guy running shop let us take up a listening room for about 3 hours just listening to everything we could. i definitely would recommend. and f1nut..i'm not sure the model but it was the smaller bookshelf's.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    Ah, not the $28,000.00 20T's then. I've spent hours and hours with Jay setting them up with different gear, in different rooms and we never got them to sound like anything but crap.

Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed your visit there, it's very nice hifi shop.

President of Club Polk