Lousy Dialogue from center channel

kdrives
kdrives Posts: 13
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
Hi All!
I'm new here, and have a problem that I can't solve... I have for a long time now had trouble getting "consistent" voice levels from anything (DVD or VHS or Sat) if it's either 5.1 or DTS. My receiver is a JVC DTS/5.1 (aprrox $300), with Polk SDA's, 400i Center, and 25i Rear. If I listen to a stereo broadcast or CD, my center channel actually has to be backed off, cause it's so "present", so I know the speaker works great, and the receiver is capable of putting out a signal to the center using Dolby Surround. Yet once I go to a 5.1 or DTS source (usually a DVD), I lose the voices in almost 99% of whatever movie I watch. The special effects come screaming through the center, yet low voice/conversation track??
I've gone though every setting adjustment possible with no positive results.

Anybody ever heard of this, and can you help? Do I need a better receiver?

I can't believe the whole world is putting up with this at home, so it's got to be something like me room(yet as said, stereo or Dolby Surround come through fine), or a bad/cheap 5.1/DTS prosessor in the JVC receiver??

Thanks in advance
Dave
Post edited by kdrives on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2002
    No answer here, I always seem to have this same problem, what did he say??
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    have u tried setting the center -1 or -2 db back on the receiver? that might help it -- i dont no, i dont have that problem....id ask JVC tho
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    kdrives, Welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused by your problem. You say that in Stereo the center is way loud? Stereo is 2 channel only and unless you have a dolby pro music processor with the JVC you should not hear anything from your center.

Can you please post the model JVC or let us know the power ratings of your JVC. This may help determine the problem. If you don't have enough power to drive your center then you will have problems. I ran into the same thing with my h/k 520 but then I biamped my center and the issue of hearing the dialogue went away. I think there is so much audible info on the center that it is easy to swamp a PA or at least detract from the dialogue.

The 400i is a great speaker and you should not have the issues that you write about.

Regards
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    Looks like to me you have on of the "runaway" decoder in your receiver, you may need to test your system out using one of the other receiver, sound like the decoder on the receiver didn't do a very good job decoding the information that it received, if your DVD has the DD and DTS decoder built in, try to hook it up via analog 5.1 input of the receiver to see if you will get a better result. Good luck...
  • kdrives
    kdrives Posts: 13
    edited November 2002
    I'll need to get my spec's on the JVC when I get home...To try to clarify a little more, a stereo source (ala CD, or SatDish feed) when playing in Dolby surround (simulated), the center works just fine, in fact even to strong at 0 db. Voices are clear, and music is great. When I put in a DVD and go to DTS or 5.1 (my DVD player does do DTS also) like Star Wars II, I can barely hear Anikin and Padme talking. If I raise the db on the center, they might come in a little louder, but as soon as a special effect hits in the center, it blows me out of the room...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2002
    I once read that DD & DTS mixes are equalized to deliver dramatic yet intelligible sound for any seat in the house in a theater-size room. That is not the same environment that most of have our HT in.

For example, I recently watched the 10th anniv reissue of Reservoir Dogs. I enjoyed the sound much better when I picked 2.0 on the setup & processed it via PLII movie than I did when I picked DD 5.1. However, even in PLII, the soundtrack suddenly exploded from my spkrs when a song was prominently featured, & then the song faded out & the clear, intelligible dialogue returned. Other sounds, like gunshots, were loud but not ridiculously loud, so the occasional overwhelming prominence of songs was due to the mix, not just the equipment or its settings.

It is possible that by adjusting spkr distance settings, relative channel volume, biwiring, using DD 5.1 night modes, or other potential adjustments, you will get something much better that you at least can live with, even if you don't love it. However, I am not a purist, & the kind of situation you are talking about is where DSP modes may come in handy. I want to enjoy the sight & the dialogue, and I want the sound effects to be an exciting and realistic addition, not the primary experience. I don't regard realistic explosions as the primary reason for watching a film. So good luck, maybe your problem will be solved via the advice you can get from more knowledgeable people than me on this site, & don't get insanely frustrated if the magic promised to you by merchandising doesn't always occur.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing