OK, the stock market can stop it's downward fall anytime now

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I know everyone says it's just "an adjustment" eff that thinking. it's snot just an adjustment. if it was an adjustment we'd now and then see some upward movement.. it's falling, and falling, and falling. just like my **** :p
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    No ****. Some of my picks this year have only had 2 days of going up...the rest havent at all!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2008
    No way. BUY BUY BUY!!!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Agreed Phuz, Start looking for some bargain stocks! Of course had you moved most of your money out of the US last fall, you're still going up! (Told ya Shack! ;) )
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    I haven't lost anything but the gain has been slow. The contrast to that is my new 401k has been doing well with Verizon, albeit under my financial managers suggestions. It makes me wonder what I was doing wrong when I was at Sprint. It was probably my lack of understanding but at least that's taken care of now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2008
    Considering I have about 25 years till I tap into my 401k and IRA's, I'm not worried.

If I were into buying and selling individual stocks, then I also say BUY BUY BUY. Lots of stuff is surely on sale right now.

Doro, we spoke about the fund manager last year. When ya get some time, drop me an email please with some info. I need to pay attention a bit more to my investments.

John
    No excuses!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I'm not worried.

Agree; just stop looking at it every day; it will go up, down, up, down......

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • danger boy
    edited January 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Agree; just stop looking at it every day; it will go up, down, up, down......

i know that.. but mostly down.. very little upward adjustments :mad:
  • Gizmo99
    Gizmo99 Posts: 169
    edited January 2008
    The market might be nearing a short term bottom. We are in over sold conditions again. However, its technically broken. Very broken. My oponion: The next big gap down or tripple digit sell off... basically a big wash out. I am going to start to nipple on what I think its going to continue to work (AG and China)
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
    Front: LSI15
    Center: LSIC
    Sourround: FxiA4
    Rear: Fxi3
    Sub: Bic H100
    TV: Sony 52' XBR4

"The more time you spend researching here, the less money you will have" :D
  • exalted512
    edited January 2008
    The ones I've been looking at this year is:
    CFC, LUX, APP, MSFT, UNP, CIEN, ISIL, ANW, SLXP.

LUX has gone up $1.20 today after it had been going down for a long, long time. I'm really thinking ANW is going to do good this year, but it keeps going down. But hopefully that means I'll just be able to grab it for really cheap :)
    -Cody
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    I don't care what you say, I'm not investing in root beer.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • exalted512
    edited January 2008
    Well, Im banking on the fact that more baby boomers are going to retire and sit at home and drink rootbeer.
    -Cody
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    I'm down too, but not too bad. I'm dumping money pretty much as much as I can into my 401k, but I don't really know what to do with the rest. I've gone a long ways until I retire. Hopefully the sooner the better however.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Of course had you moved most of your money out of the US last fall, you're still going up! (Told ya Shack! ;) )

Right now I'm flat, so there was no need to move offshore. The stocks that were up a little have been sold to purchase a few bargains in the financial sector that have taken a beating and are down 30-40% that that now have dividend yields of 6% ± and are trading below book with no writedown issues. They have been lumped in with all the "troubled financials"...so good for me. When they recover (and they will) I'll be up 30% + and getting 6% while I'm waiting for the recovery.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited January 2008
    One thing to keep in mind is elections are coming up as well so you will see more selling off as we come closer to the Presidential Election.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Gizmo99
    edited January 2008
    Depends... markets tend to go up during electronic times (maybe this is true when the republicans are in power) Intuition says short the health Care stocks but thats pretty much a safe place to hide...

Me stay in cash for now .. if we close down 200, I will take a small stab at BIDU

• shack
    edited January 2008
    Gizmo99 wrote: »
    Depends... markets tend to go up during electronic times (maybe this is true when the republicans are in power)

ELECTRONIC TIMES :confused: Does that mean when Democrats are in power its AC and when Republicans are in power it is DC?

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Gizmo99
    edited January 2008
    sorry :) I mean elections :)

• Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited January 2008
    I went almost all cash the start of Oct. Not so much the recession 'talk' just the fact of hundred dollar oil made my Spidy sense tingle. That shoe had to drop. Inflation sucks but the interest medicates the sting till a taxtime tide of IRA money floods in. And quality is getting beat up which gives Joes a silver lining.

Of course if this is it...nice to have known y'all
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    I know everyone says it's just "an adjustment" eff that thinking. it's snot just an adjustment. if it was an adjustment we'd now and then see some upward movement.. it's falling, and falling, and falling. just like my **** :p

My wife and myself have been investing since the DJI was below 3K...the market has been good to us over the years...getting ready to retire this Fall.

If you're going to invest in the market,you need to be ready for the long haul.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2008
    phuz wrote: »
    No way. BUY BUY BUY!!!

My wife and I just increased the $$ we contribute to our portfolios, so we too are buying more while it's cheaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    The market was horrible throughout 2007. I took a beating, more then I should have. Remembering those days when the market dropped around several hundred points several times within the week. Taking it much easier this year after the loses of that one dreadful month. I am looking into the ipo for Visa. It would be interesting. Apple did me great the past several years.
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Of course had you moved most of your money out of the US last fall, you're still going up! (Told ya Shack! ;) )

Looks like you "international" investors are starting to take a few hits.

India's benchmark stock index down 7.4%, Hong Kong's blue-chip Hang Seng index down 5.5%, Japan's Nikkei 225 down 3.9%, China's Shanghai Composite index down 5.1%, Germany's DAX down 4.2%, France's CAC 40 down 4.7%, Britain's FTSE 100 down 3.6%.

Some of these are at their lowest point in the last 2-3 years.

I guess the largest economy in the world DOES have an influence on the rest of the world.

• Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited January 2008
    Fought the temptation to get back in Friday, now the temptation to get back today...with gritted teeth a finger hovers over the key :rolleyes:
  • danger boy
    edited January 2008
    stop dropping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2008