Fire 2 door down

janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
There is a house on fire 2 doors down from ours. 4 trucks on the scene and it is really blazing. With -30+ temps. it is not pretty.
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• janmike
    edited January 2008
    Neighbors have been evacuated and are at our place. I come in to get warm for 10 min. Does not look good.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2008
    Bummer,,, hope everyone is safe,,can you even pump water on a fire in that extreme temp?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    You can. -38 outside tonight. First house is totally engulfed and they are trying to protect our neighbor's from catching. Real close to ours and if it starts we are next.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I'd say, start hosing down the side of your house, but would that work for you in this weather?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • george daniel
    edited January 2008
    Michael,, I'll keep your family and neighbors in my thoughts and prayers,,stay safe--george
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Damn, that sucks. I hope they contain the fire quickly. Fighting a fire in those temps can't be easy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    did it melt the snow? then freeze like an ice rink from the water used to fight the fire?

oh yeah.. is your place ok still?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    Fire is out, but the guys will be out there most of the night. The neighbors are at our place for the night as there house has too much smoke in it. Close one.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Ah, some good news anyway. I had your number dialed up and was ready to push the button, but I thought twice about it as I figured ya'll probably had enough going on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• janmike
    edited January 2008
    Thanks Jesse, We will connect on the weekend. It's been a long night.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Ouch, thankfully it's out and everyone is safe.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Glad everyone is safe. Fighting fires in freezing temps suck.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    Glad you are alright, and nobody got hurt. We had a brush fire develope in a wash behind a house we used to rent, that was some scary ****. It's unbelieveable how far away you can feel the heat.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited January 2008
    Winter eh! When it gets cold like that, the fires start.

A few years back, a late night at a friend's house drinking, a buddy mine starts yelling FIRE, FIRE. Scared the crap out of all us and it turns out the house across the street was fully engulfed, a couple of people passed away. I never found how it started but it was a very cold night too.

Scary stuff, glad you're ok.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited January 2008
    Great to hear your OK. Prayer's sent for neighbor who lost home.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2008
    We had a fire in our home about 15 yrs ago. It could have been tragic but it all came out ok. We were awakened by our smoke detectors which if they haden't been working we certainly would have lost our daughter as it was her room the fire started in.
    The reason I am responding is to pass along a little of my experience with hopes that it may help your neighbor. He needs to secure his home now to the best of his ability. If the board up service hasn't arrived get one its covered by his insurance.
    Over the next few days he should anticipate a bunch of people showing up and some will claim that they are working for his insurance company. Warn him to not let anyone in to the house under any circumstances without direct communication from his claim adjuster. Notice I said claim adjuster. His agent is now worhtless to him as the adjuster is now God. All the details for recovering his loss now rests with the adjuster and his agent is not allowed to influence them.
    let your neighbor know that to recover on his claim he must present the claim to the adjuster. Your neighbor (s) need to prepare a "loss" list that they are claiming right down to the toothbrushes. If its not claimed on the loss they won't be compensated.
    To keep it short .......... if he has any salvagealbe valuables he needs to get them identified and stowed some place safe. After our fire there were several occasions when our home was broken in to. We were told by the police and fire marshals that the newspapers are a source for criminals out there to identify places that may be easy targets. Obits are another.
    If your neighbors fire was as significant as it sounds they have a bumpy road ahead just tell them to make decisions with their heads and not their hearts. The adjusters job is not to help them recover their losses, its to settle the claim as cheaply as possible. I can tell hours of horror stories and near murder for the poor treatment we recieved from our insurance company.

I won't name our previous insurance company but it was one of the known big three. We are now insured by Fireman's fund. We had to hire a private adjuster at our expense to protect us from our insurance company and its unscrupolous adjusters. He told us that if the world of insurance is a sewer then our company was the sewer and that the other big two were the sewer covers. FWIW
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    Fires suck worst then anything in this world IMHO you can lose everything, leaving you with nothing. Been there it was my house on fire once "Electric Blanket" and I will not allow this in my house ever again. My wife understands this rule and never got one thank god.

Glad you're safe Mike and nothing happened to your house.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    BAD ASP wrote: »
    We had a fire in our home about 15 yrs ago. It could have been tragic but it all came out ok. We were awakened by our smoke detectors which if they haden't been working we certainly would have lost our daughter as it was her room the fire started in.
    The reason I am responding is to pass along a little of my experience with hopes that it may help your neighbor. He needs to secure his home now to the best of his ability. If the board up service hasn't arrived get one its covered by his insurance.
    Over the next few days he should anticipate a bunch of people showing up and some will claim that they are working for his insurance company. Warn him to not let anyone in to the house under any circumstances without direct communication from his claim adjuster. Notice I said claim adjuster. His agent is now worhtless to him as the adjuster is now God. All the details for recovering his loss now rests with the adjuster and his agent is not allowed to influence them.
    let your neighbor know that to recover on his claim he must present the claim to the adjuster. Your neighbor (s) need to prepare a "loss" list that they are claiming right down to the toothbrushes. If its not claimed on the loss they won't be compensated.
    To keep it short .......... if he has any salvagealbe valuables he needs to get them identified and stowed some place safe. After our fire there were several occasions when our home was broken in to. We were told by the police and fire marshals that the newspapers are a source for criminals out there to identify places that may be easy targets. Obits are another.
    If your neighbors fire was as significant as it sounds they have a bumpy road ahead just tell them to make decisions with their heads and not their hearts. The adjusters job is not to help them recover their losses, its to settle the claim as cheaply as possible. I can tell hours of horror stories and near murder for the poor treatment we recieved from our insurance company.

I won't name our previous insurance company but it was one of the known big three. We are now insured by Fireman's fund. We had to hire a private adjuster at our expense to protect us from our insurance company and its unscrupolous adjusters. He told us that if the world of insurance is a sewer then our company was the sewer and that the other big two were the sewer covers. FWIW

I take a shot at it "State Farm"

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2008
    That would be a "cover", its close, it has the name "state" in it.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Are you in good hands?
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    Everything ok here at our place. Put the neighbors up for the night and their house plus the house on the other side of the one on fire have both water and smoke damage. Nobody hurt at all.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Wow I'm late to this thread Mike. I'm glad everyone and everything is okay.
  • george daniel
    edited January 2008
    Damn,, too close,,glad everyone's ok.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Wow I'm late to this thread Mike. I'm glad everyone and everything is okay.

Me too. Glad you are OK.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited January 2008
    It's great to hear that no one was injured and that you still have your house.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Wow man that was a big inferno. Glad it did not spread thats a fire that can take out a couple of blocks if its windy enough. You have a good fire dept to keep that contained. Again glad no one got hurt
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    Man, glad to hear you are okay.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2008
    Glad you, your family and house are alright. That was very good of you to put up the neighbors for a while. Interesting pic - really hits hard that it doesn't take much to flip your world upside down in a night.

Are you still going to make it down to Vancouver next weekend?
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    I leave Wednesday morning and will be in Vancouver until the morning of Feb 1. I guess I can leave my goose down parka at home.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°