Boat audio

hrdhtdvr
hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey everyone, I've been away for a while and hope everyone had a great holiday season.

I have a question concerning putting audio in a boat. I have my sights set on getting a boat as a new toy. It is a ways off, but I like to research the heck out of things before I buy.

With all that said, is boat audio like car audio, in the sense that you can't go with stock and have to upgrade? The boats I am looking at (Ski boats and deck boats) all have an option to upgrade the stereo system. (I'm seeing Clarion, Kicker, and JL being thrown around) What I want to avoid is getting a "Premium" system that just like in cars, sucks.

Thanks for any advice you can pass along.
Alpine 9855 hu
Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
Amp: JL 500/5
Wires: Street Wires
Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
Mitsubishi HS-U577
Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
Klipsch Speakers
Center: RC-7
L&R:KLF-20
Surrounds:RS-3
Sub: KSW-15
Post edited by hrdhtdvr on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Boat 'premium' sound systems are much MUCH different than car 'premium' sound systems. Most boat premium systems have the same speakers you can buy at your local retailer. Like some boats have Polk MOMO equipment in them. Well, its the same Polk MOMO equipment you can buy at your local shop, not a knock off version.

Id say, if you have the spare change, go for it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BBBaja
    BBBaja Posts: 5
    edited January 2008
    Don't go with Clarion - not so good -I'm in the process of changing the entire system in my boat!
  • BBBaja
    BBBaja Posts: 5
    edited January 2008
    Not trying to steal your thread - but maybe you can help me out -Just bought 2 MM2104 for the boat and don't know if I should go with ported or sealed boxes in such an open enviroment - they will be pushed by a mono 600rms amp. Thanks
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    i have that same setup 300rms each (more like 340 on the birth sheet) and but in a sealed box in my drunk. ive played soccer with my buddies cooks form work in a parking lot and opened my trunk and car doors and aimed them at the playing area.... and it was plenty loud... i think sealed will be fine.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited January 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Boat 'premium' sound systems are much MUCH different than car 'premium' sound systems. Most boat premium systems have the same speakers you can buy at your local retailer. Like some boats have Polk MOMO equipment in them. Well, its the same Polk MOMO equipment you can buy at your local shop, not a knock off version.

Id say, if you have the spare change, go for it.
    -Cody
    BBBaja wrote:
    Don't go with Clarion - not so good -I'm in the process of changing the entire system in my boat!

Thanks for the quick reply, and the advice.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.