Pond owners

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,951
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Any of you guys into Ponds ?
I have one that is maybe 8 ft by 6 ft with plants and some comets,but I have been planning the big one.Main pond to be 20 by 20 ft with a waterfall and short stream that will add another 15 ft.What kind of equipment is good?
So many choices out there.I'm talking roughly 8,ooo gallons here,so my thoughts of coarse is a skimmer,going to a biofalls unit,with a second pump on the bottom going to another part of the falls.Was looking at the Laguna stuff.Are they any good?Liner is going to be firestone epdm 45 mil.Any suggestions on pump brands? Since they will be running 24/7,I need something of good quality,that can push at least 3000 gph,and are efficient,don't want the electric bill to shock me.Anything or brands to avoid ?
Thanks for any input you can give.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's
Post edited by tonyb on

Comments

• skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited January 2008
    Your best bet is to build a custom pump/filter system for a pond that size. That way you can use a 220V pump that will be much more efficient and a huge filter tank you don't have to change the media in so often. Make sure you get a good UV unit too to keep algae growth down. It's gonna have to be a big one for that size pond and they aren't cheap, around $250-$350 for one big enough to handle the volumn you need. Beware of using roof epdm as it leaches chemicals into the water that will kill your fish and plants. You can get pre-cut pond liner for a 20x20 that isn't much more expensive than roofing epdm and is safe for pond critters. Also be careful what plants you use. Hyacinth is a favorite of most pond suppliers, but is illegal in most states.
  • tonyb
    edited January 2008
    Won't need a uv,if you can keep the water flowing,are in some shade,and have a good balance in the water.UV will also kill beneficial bacteria needed to keep the pond clean.While some contest this,alot of people I know with fish don't use them for this reason.Don't have one now,no algae,clear water.220 v pump is out,would have to install a new line.Laguna makes a biofalls for large ponds,that does both kinds of filtration.Just wondering if anyone here uses their stuff.I am well aware of the homemade filters and such,but for a pond this big,it would be unsightly.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited January 2008
    if you have an outlet you shouldn't need a new line for 220. just a new breaker and outlet.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • tonyb
    edited January 2008
    Wires have to change on a 220 line to handle the extra volts.But regardless,plenty of pumps out ther that only use 150-200 watts and draw less than 2.5 amps.Just wanted to see if anyone here uses any and what brands are good or bad.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited January 2008
    the wire should be rated at 600V regardless.

Payton
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    Love ponds... My backyard:

IMG_5811_1.jpg
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    Whoa dude... very jealous!
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    I don't even think I'd trade it for the nicest rigs in the system showcases...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.