New guy here.

SBrown712
SBrown712 Posts: 202
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Been shopping around a lot for speakers and ended up with the deal at Fry's on a pair of Lsi15s. Very happy camper so far. Just hooked speakers up and listened a little with my HK AVR 435. It seemed to have enough power for low volume, will just have to wait and see how it does when I crank it up. I've been told that I really should get a amp that works in 4 ohm. What do you guys think?
Post edited by SBrown712 on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    For the 15s, I am guessing separate amplification will be a night and day difference. Suggestions on here tend to be 200 watts/channel or above @8OHMS. There are a lot of options, so if you are looking, a price range is always a good place to start if you are looking for suggestions.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to the club!

A budget would help greatly.
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    Sorry guys, should have posted a budget. I'm really hoping to stay at $500. This is the one I'm really thinking about getting:

http://www.emotiva.com/lpa1.html

With this one when I upgrade the center and surrounds I'll have the power and channels for everything. Speaking of which, what would be a good center channel to go with the Lsi15s? The best price I see on the LsiC is about $400 shipped. Can I do any better with a newer center?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    The LSiC is a great center channel and will match your LSi15s the best. You will definitely want amplification for all of the LSi speakers -- I wouldn't run them without it, but that's just me.

Welcome! :)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to te forum; be careful with cranking it up.....not enough power can damage your speakers faster than too much power.

That's a nice price for that Emotiva 7 channel amp. 125 WPC at 8 ohms will do a lot better than your receiver, but the LSI's can still use more power than that; not that they won't sound good, but they have more potential.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to Club Polk.

I suggest you do a search here on the board about amp power & the LSI's. In particular a couple of members got that amp for their LSI's and found that it didn't really do the job.

It takes a lot of power to have them operate to their full potential. So I suggest you continue to save more money, and start looking at Audiogon for a 200wpc @8ohms multichannel amp. You will get more bang for your buck buying a used one.

Brands to look at are: Parasound, Rotel, Outlaw Audio, Sunfire, B & K, Adcom.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Welcome! A used Parasound or Outlaw amp would do nicely. Maybe some Outlaw monoblocks for the 15s to start.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Damn Cathy! It took until post 7 to put your answer in. You're slipping!;):D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Welcome, I'm sorry and don't listen to the voices....[whisper]they're all crazy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2008
    :eek::D Ooops Sorry about that, I'll try to do better!. But sometimes I got to see to my own life & make time to enjoy my OWN rig!:p;):D

daboyz wrote: »
    Damn Cathy! It took until post 7 to put your answer in. You're slipping!;):D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • daboyz
    edited January 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    :eek::D Ooops Sorry about that, I'll try to do better!. But sometimes I got to see to my own life & make time to enjoy my OWN rig!:p;):D

No,no,no! Your reason for living is to answer this question. You are like the person on top of a mountain that everyone goes to for advice. THAT is your LIFE-quit being so petty and wanting to listen to your own rig.:)
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2008
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Oh thanks I just spit water all over my monitor!:D ROTFLMAO!!!:D

daboyz wrote: »
    No,no,no! Your reason for living is to answer this question. You are like the person on top of a mountain that everyone goes to for advice. THAT is your LIFE-quit being so petty and wanting to listen to your own rig.:)
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    Thanks everyone. Nice group here. Well, so far anyway. I am fairly new to this home theater arena and it's been years since I was into stereos so bear with me.
    I live in a relatively small apartment so I'm not looking for a lot of volume just good clean sound. Do I really need to go with a real high output amp? Would that high output just give me volume or would it give me better sound even at low volume? Would I be better off just to power the 15s with another amp and run center and surrounds through the receiver? I'm probably getting the LsiC soon and leaving my Hsu surrounds for now. I like the idea of having a 5 or 6 channel amp.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    Yeah,a 5 or 6 channel amp would be nice,but with the budget you put out,not likely.A decent 2 or 3 channel is doable for 500 bones.Look for used Adcom,Carver,B&K,Outlaw,and a cast of others.......
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2008
    The common misconception about having a high output amp is that it will just be very loud. The real benefit of it is to get good clean sound at ANY volume. This is the most major improvement & worth the investment of getting 200wpc or more!

I am able to play my system softer than ever & still hear it extremely clearly in my apt. with my neighbors being none the wiser!

SBrown712 wrote: »
    I live in a relatively small apartment so I'm not looking for a lot of volume just good clean sound. Do I really need to go with a real high output amp? Would that high output just give me volume or would it give me better sound even at low volume?
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    To those sending PMs, thanks. I'm not ignoring you. I don't have enough posts to be able to reply yet. I guess I could pad the count a little. I'm close anyway.
  • daboyz
    edited January 2008
    ^^^^Post padding^^^^:(

That's my job;)
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2008
    When I upgraded from 170 wpc to 425 wpc it wasn't volume that I noticed at first. It was the subtle little sounds like fingers sliding on the strings in acousticals or drum stick licks and the singers breathing. Sure the extra watts lets you turn it up to painful levels but the purity of the sound at fun listening levels is hypnotic. I had always liked listening to music once in awhile, now I love to listen to music often.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    I have really started to enjoy watching/listening to concert HD DVDs. I've found several of my favorite bands lately. Led Zeplin, Moody Blues and Queen. I have several SD DVDs too in DD that are almost as good.
    I'm looking to get an amp ASAP then a LsiC. I've changed my priorities.
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    Ok, so I've looked around at different amps and it seems that it will be a LONG time before I can afford one of the brands you guys suggested, even used. I had mention the Emotiva LPA-1 above and it seemed to get a luke warm response. I searched on the forum and got no hits on either the model number or brand name. I see on most amps the power is rated differently for 8 or 4 ohms, why is that? The Emotiva only says that it is " Completely stable into 4 ohm loads". Is it that 125 watts isn't considered enough to drive the 15s well?
    My brain is feeling the strain of doing all this research. Help me !!
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2008
    Bingo! Some have recently tried it with their LSI's & were very disappointed.

The higher wpc you have at 8ohms is the more you will have at 4ohms. The more power you give the LSI's the better they will sound.

So just keep watching Audiogon & continue saving money until the right deal comes along.
    SBrown712 wrote: »
    Is it that 125 watts isn't considered enough to drive the 15s well?
    My brain is feeling the strain of doing all this research. Help me !!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited January 2008
    This may work out well for you and drive the 15's quite nicely.

When you add the center and rear speakers, you can run them off the AVR initially and when funds permit, get a 3 or 5 channel amp to drive the center and surrounds.

At least it is a way to check out the benefits of a nice amp and determine if the difference is worth upgrading to.

Michael

BTW - Welcome to Club Polk.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • SBrown712
    edited January 2008
    cfrizz,
    You've said a couple of times that people were disappointed with the Emotiva. How/why were they disappointed? Here's something I got off their web site:
    Rated Power Output: Channels 1-5 (All Channels Driven at 0.04%THD, 120vAC/ 60HZ supply) 8 ohm: 125 watts / 4 ohm: 225 watts

Is that not enough power? Is it something in the sound? Just trying to figure out why they didn't like it. I found more reviews and everyone that had it had positive things to say about it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    There was one person here who was disappointed. I believe if he would have let it break in and if he used some better interconnects, he would have been much happier.

I'm considering giving the LPA-1 a try also.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cfrizz
    edited January 2008
    I don't consider the 8 ohm: 125 watts rating to be enough for the LSI's. The people who have been happy with the LPA-1 I don't think were driving LSI's. (Oops they were driving RTI's.)

As I stated before, The higher wpc you have at 8ohms is the more you will have at 4ohms. The more power you give the LSI's the better they will sound.

Do a search here on the board, there are probably thousands of threads by now about LSI's & what kind of power makes them shine.

The reaction to the Emotiva has been a real mixed bag. Some have been happy & others have been disappointed. Here is a good thread about the Emotiva.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59710&highlight=Emotiva+lpa-1
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to Club Polk. I like Adcom, and Parasound. I don't get to hung on watts although you can get 325wpc Adcom GFA-555 for around $350. I also like the Parasound designs.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited January 2008
    I had LSI9's driven by LPA1 , sounded great except for a bass hump that I had that was probably due to my room/ setup. or I would still have the 9's in my system.

The LPA1 is 225watts @ 4ohms, plenty of power and slam for the LSi series.

While it would be great if you could do as cfrizz recommends, and get a used 200 wpc @ 8ohm amp,(would probably be 300watts @ 4ohms) finding a multichannel one for under $500.00 might be hard.

I say try the Emotiva and let your ears decide, they do have a 30 return policy if it doesn't work for you.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited January 2008
    Welcome and Congrats

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.