Lawyer keys Marine's car

wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Thought I'd share this story for anyone who may not have heard about it. It made Snopes.com and there's a lot of internet bashing going on for this guy. People are trying to get him disbarred over it, and I hope they succeed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-kass_03jan03,0,1836149.column?page=1&coll=chi_tab01_layout

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/12/anti-military-l.html
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2008
    Wow! That **** is lucky to be walking.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2008
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    How big of him.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    He should be sentenced to wear a sandwich sign 6 hours everyday, walking up and down the main street of his town, for the next two years with the words, "I am an **** who hates our service people" written on it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Punished? Yes. Debarred? No.

Just because the guy is a lawyer doesn't mean he should lose his career over it. Use the law, penalize him for the keying and move on.

People will know who he is and choose not to use his services because of what he said about the service people.....I'm sure he will eventually drive himself out of business because of it.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    F him. Toss him in the klink and see how quick he **** up.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    Woooow. That's sad. No, that's appalling and just pathetic.

I hope they do seek to penalize him to the fullest extent possible, as the second link says they're actually planning to do.

I'm not sure if he should be debarred or not. If he's that irrational, that unable to control his emotion...that'd make for a pretty poor lawyer, or at least one that ought not to be practicing.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
    #1 You just don't mess with another guy's car. It's against guy law.
    #2 Who's stupid enough to mess with the car of a marine going off to war?
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    Personally...

I'm scared of Marines
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008

Just because the guy is a lawyer doesn't mean he should lose his career over it. Use the law, penalize him for the keying and move on.

People will know who he is and choose not to use his services because of what he said about the service people.....I'm sure he will eventually drive himself out of business because of it.

Millions of Americans could their job for various offenses so why shouldn't a lawyer be any different?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    **** erectus- That's Latin for DICKHEAD!
  • wodom1
    edited January 2008

He's facing felony charges since the damages came out to $2400. From what I read earlier, any attorney convicted of a felony is automatically disbarred (at least in IL), so he deserves it IMO.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008

I believe any lawyer who is convicted of a felony in most states is immediately disbarred, so yes, he should be. That's the risk you take being a lawyer.

Wikipedia wrote:
    Generally disbarment is imposed as a sanction for conduct indicating that an attorney is not fit to practice law, willfully disregarding the interests of a client, or engaging in fraud which impedes the administration of justice. In addition, any lawyer who is convicted of a felony is automatically disbarred in most jurisdictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disbarment
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    I take back what I said then, i didn't realize that you get disbarred for crimes.

I just assumed it was like any other case where just because the guy has a good job they were trying to ruin his career as well when neither of the 2 were related.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    Bagged,

your not coming out of left field. I dont think a guy should lose his livelyhood for keying a car (though it is dousche, and one would serserve a serious **** whoopin)

this case is different though, you have someone who is sworn to follow and practice the law. such an gregarious disregard for the law from someone who is supposed to follow and be guided by it in his profession is a different ballgame.

getting disbarred might be unlikely, but be sure it is very possible. depends how that states bar assoc. looks at it. small crime might mean no (but 2500 bucks damage is a pretty big thing), but someone willing to do something so so stupid and against the la for an ideology might cast negative light on how he practices.

could go either way
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    ohskigod wrote: »
    Bagged,

your not coming out of left field. I dont think a guy should lose his livelyhood for keying a car (though it is dousche, and one would serserve a serious **** whoopin)

That's how i first saw it, I thought people were just going after his career because he had a high profile career. But now that I see that according to law he could get disbarred, it's a different story.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2008
    If Mr. lawyer was smart, he would offer to have the car fixed and hope the charges would be droped.Because he WILL be disbarred if he is convicted of a felony.
    Kind of a dumb thing to do for a lawyer. A..holes come in all shapes.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    i hope more than anything... he gets jail time... and disbarred... seriously.. lawyers have bad enough reps already.. i doubt the bar there would want him associated with them anyways.. take away his practice, give him jail time and give him 5 years probation

If i were that Marine or his brother. i would have had a really tough time no just kicking the **** out of him right then and there.. but him being a lawyer.. then I would have been the one doing time in the big house.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Don't disbar him, enlist him.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    VINCENT
    You know what some **** did to it
    the other day?

LANCE
    What?

VINCENT
    ****' keyed it.

LANCE
    Oh man, that's **** up.

VINCENT
    Tell me about it. I had the goddamn
    thing in storage three years. It's
    out five ****' days – five days,
    and some dickless piece of **** ****
    with it.

LANCE
    They should be ****' killed. No
    trial, no jury, straight to execution.

.....................................Vincent Vega & Lance the Pusher, Pulp Fiction.....................
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    be they fictitious, those are truly words of wisdom all men should live by.

you dont f*ck with another man's automobile, its not rocket science.

I cant imagine if that Marine was me, and it was my Stang or truck involved. I have ALOT of respect for that Marine and his restraint.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I have ALOT of respect for that Marine and his restraint.

Indeed! Every fiber of his being was probably telling him to put a hurt on that di(kless piece of shite!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Nice job Joe, Pulp Fiction was the first thing I thought of when I saw this :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Yeah me too! I just couldn't remember all the lines and as you well know Tarentino crafts his dialog so well that if you change one thing it removes the impact of the dialog.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Mike has my respect. I don't believe I would have had the grace to not do a little damage to him. "Man law" dictates that keying a car is a cardinal sin.

Jay R. Grodner
    Law Offices of Jay R. Grodner
    Principal Office-Deerfield
    625 Deerfield Road –Suite 406
    Deerfield, IL 60015
    Phone: (847) 444-1500
    Fax: (847) 444-0663
    Downtown Chicago
    30 N. LaSalle St. - Suite 1210
    Chicago, IL 60602
    Phone: (312) 236-1142
    Fax: (312) 236-6036
    Email: jayrg8@aol.com
    Web: http://www.jaygrodner.com

Above in bold is the lawyers contact information. I think I might just drop him a phone call or ten to let him know how I feel about him and his actions. I would feel better for Mike, if I had a part in bringing him down....or at the very least, slowing him down. I hope that it is able to be tried as a felony and I would feel no remorse if his business went down as a result. Some things you just DON'T do, regardless of your beliefs and opinions. How many other cars has he done this to and just wasn't caught?

And to think, real human beings are dying to give him his freedom. A$$wipe. :mad:

EDIT: His website is already down.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    What a CORNFLAKE !!! That stupid SOB has no clue how many cops are ex-miltary.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • wodom1
    edited January 2008
    Update

He showed up to court late again and the judge (ex-Marine) almost threw his **** in jail. Plead guilty to a misdemeanor and said he's moving to France.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Hahahaha. Loser.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~