New Product Testing

kab
kab Posts: 275
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
For some time, newly introduced Polk home product has been made available for circulation through the forum membership. Members are encouraged to audition and write reviews of the product.

Recently, we have instituted a field test program for yet to be released home products. Depending on the product, some number of participants are invited from the Forum. The goal of testing is to get extensive feedback in time to make revisions, where necessary, to the product, to the manual, to the packaging, etc. before it goes into production.

I would like to field test new car products as well but there are obvious difficulties in performing the test. I am not interesting in board testing the product as it generally tells you more about the board than the product. I would only want in vehicle tests...you see the problem.

So do you have any ideas? Is anyone interested and willing to install the product for testing (you would have to sign and abide by a non-diclosure agreement)?

Al
VP Customer Experience
Post edited by kab on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Are we talking speakers, amplifiers, or something else?

Id be interested, but not at this time of the year. If youre looking about the end of May, I could do it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Also, if were talking about door speakers, do you want these things in kickpanel enclosures, standard doors, or fully deadened doors? My doors are fully deadened, but they also require 8" drivers, the fiance's doors, however, are not deadened, so this is probably where the majority of your consumers are going to be dealing with. But if you want, I could fab up some kickpanels as well.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    I'm interested depending on the details. I have a 2006 Infiniti g35 that I'd like to upgrade the speakers on, but like Cody said are we talking speakers, amplifiers, etc?
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    i think that if u guys sent woofers out in the recomended box with an amp that fits the specs.... many of us could easily switch out a class D for a day or 2 and listen to it... that wouldnt be hard for me at all.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2008
    OOOO!!!! I want in!

My truck is set up to accept any sized speaker and I have provisions for all kinds of amps and such too! It is not difficult to swap out my components at all! I would love a chance to participate!

As for ideas, I'm not really sure what you are looking for as in ideas? Are you looking for a way to distribute the demo equipment? Are you looking for someone to take a leadership role here like Mark did for the SurroundBar test? Or are you looking for ideas on products to test?

One thing though, it might be difficult to keep equipment maintained at a level of quality/cleanliness because some people and some installs aren't as well thought out and put together as others. Also, each car is different and while, say, a 6.75 inch speaker might fit in Cody's doors, it might have clearance issues in mine and make it difficult to install properly.

Still though, I think this is a spectacular idea because people's cars, especially if they are proud of them, get much more exposure than somebody's home and testing equipment out for a few days or weeks is an excellent way to get exposure. I mean, you don't have to tell people that they are listening to prototype Polk Audio speakers but other people can get a listen and you can tell them that these are Polk Audio speakers, what do you think? Good? Bad?

If I did get the chance to demo stuff, it'd go in a 2001 Ford Lightning but I have custom made brackets that bolt into the stock locations of the 5x7/6x8 slots and I have plates for 5.25 inch speakers, 6.5 inch speakers and 6.75 inch speakers. I can make plates for 4 inch, 5 inch and 3 inch speakers without a problem. I can't mount 6x9's they are just too big and I'm not cutting up my truck for just a demo and 4x10's would be difficult too. I can probably fab something up for 4x6 plates or ovals to fit in a 6x8 hole though.

Subs I can do 8, 10 or 12 easily and I have sealed boxes for all three with common displacement sizes. Current power level is 1200 watts so I can swap out amps of pretty good power levels too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    i think the hardest part would be for the pros that have everything set up perfectly after hours and hours and hours of playing with time allignment and eqs, i dont wana speak for them i just see issues with them riping out their gear to put something in for a few days or a week...i cant imagine anyone saying "I dont want to test new gear, that doesnt sound like fun".... i mean ive had my isntall complete for a bit over 2 months... and i still am changing my stuff around... i think the subs and amps would be pretty easy... even a 4 chan amp switching out a few speaker wires and interconects.... but an actualy speaker its self may be difficult for the reason outlined above, in my post and jstas
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2008
    I can test some stuff like amps, 5 1/4's and 15's. I've got the tools to analyze in car frequency reponses.

Polk My Ride: Part 1
    Polk My Ride: Part 2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    Shot ya a PM Al.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Nitewing911
    Nitewing911 Posts: 10
    edited January 2008
    I'm willing to help out. Should be interesting.
  • kab
    kab Posts: 275
    edited January 2008
    I'm more than a bit suprised to have all you guys vounteering to do in car testing. That's great. Here are some answers to your questions.
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Are we talking speakers, amplifiers, or something else?...-Cody

At present, I talking about a line of speakers and amplifiers both being available for testing in early March.
    i think that if u guys sent woofers out in the recomended box with an amp that fits the specs...

The speakers we're talking about now do not include subs with enclosures.
    Jstas wrote: »
    ...As for ideas, I'm not really sure what you are looking for as in ideas?...

We're always open to and interested in ideas. Send em on.
    Jstas wrote: »
    ...Are you looking for a way to distribute the demo equipment? Are you looking for someone to take a leadership role.

Mark is managing the distribution of new released home product with the goals of letting you get your hands on it and early reviews. In this case, we'll be sending pilot run product for feedback that can improve the product before it goes into production. This program will be more easily managed from here.

All of you that are interesting in the program, send me a pm with your address, phone and email so I can contact you when the product is ready and ship it if the product is appropriate to your situation.

Thank again,

Al
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    The floodgates have just opened Al :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Nitewing911
    Nitewing911 Posts: 10
    edited January 2008
    Should be VERY interesting.