Purchase Your Own Cable Box?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I recall back in the day when you could save money in the long run by purchasing your own cable box? Is this still an option? I have Comcast and they charge about $10/month for an HD box.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Here's the way I look at EB. If you purchased the HD box for lets say $400 in a little over three years you would have made up the cost. However one problem lays in your path. . . the everchanging and improving nature of technology.

I was going to do this a few years ago with a cable modem and a DVR which had HD capability in it. Both of those items that I would have purchased would now be so obselete that I wouldn't even be able to sell then to recoup some money for newer technology.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    The only cable boxes I ever recall for sale were illegal, as you didn't have to pay for premium channels.

I'd agree with Hearings point as well, except the cable modem part. I bought a Motorola SB5100 back in 2001 for $69, it still works fine, it's not obsolete at all. The cable company was charging $4.95 a month. Saved over $300 so far, not a huge amount of money, but it all counts.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    The only cable boxes I ever recall for sale were illegal, as you didn't have to pay for premium channels.

I'd agree with Hearings point as well, except the cable modem part. I bought a Motorola SB5100 back in 2001 for $69, it still works fine, it's not obsolete at all. The cable company was charging $4.95 a month. Saved over $300 so far, not a huge amount of money, but it all counts.

Can you run HD through the Motorola?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    The technology does change a bit too often for me to feel comfortable investing the money in a cable box.

Also, there are some things I don't understand. For example, the firmware / software on my cable box are provided by Comcast to be compatible with their network. If I buy my own box somewhere, does it download Comcast software? What if the box isn't a box Comcast supports? Will its own software be compatible with their system (for example, the Guide?) And I wouldn't have access to Comcast features (OnDemand, for example). So beyond the price thing I think there's a lot of other things you'd need to figure out before giving it a try, and good luck getting any answers from Comcast.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    Can you run HD through the Motorola?

HD? It's a cable modem, it's hooked up to my computer.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2008
    TWC absolutely WILL NOT support any cable box that they are not renting you.

About 99% of the cable boxes out there for sale are stolen and they've all got an unique address (like a MAC address on an ethernet card) so if that's in your cable companies database, you also stand a good chance of them asking for it back when you try to get it activated.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2008
    Yeah I agree. I asked Cox if I could by my own box and they said no. I googled it also only to find many people like us wanting to buy one but not being able to because of cable companies unwillingness to let us.

And hearing could not have said it any better.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited January 2008
    In Canada we can buy the boxes if we please. I thought about it, but as mentioned tech changes so fast and so often, plus if it dies, it's a 10min drive for a new one.