RT 12 Tweeters

Options
staples
staples Posts: 1
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hey Guys , Great forum! I have a question about my Rt12 Speekers. I'm wondering how much of a difference I will notice if I replace to silk dome tweeters with Tri-laminate tweeters. For the rest of my system I'm using cs245i center, rt35i rear and the
psw 250 sub. Thanks,

Scott Staples
Post edited by staples on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I've often wondered about this as well. However, I think the RT12's sound really good as they are. I almost think the tri-lam might take some of the sweetness away from that sound. Just my random thoughts past midnight, so I take no responsibility for them.

Aaron
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2001
    Options
    i have some random thoughts,but its too damn late to even try to type them on a screen.....good night.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

scott;)
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I own 2 pair of Rt-12s and replaced all of the tweeters with the trilaminates. I agree with the above response regarding the already great sound quality of the stock tweeters.

However, my speakers seemed to come alive with brightness after I installed the trilaminates. I am somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to sinking money into upgrades unless it really makes a difference. As before stated, I could truly tell a difference (using my ears instead of some scientific measurment).

All in all, I will never regret paying the extra money to install the trilaminates. I truly was impressed with the sonic change it made as to both movies and music and overall clarity. This was especially true since I was using a CS350LS center and Ls/Fx surrounds, which utilize the trilaminate tweeter.

Anybody need a few pair of Rt-12 tweeters?

Brent
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited September 2001
    Options
    However, my speakers seemed to come alive with brightness after I installed the trilaminates.
    Most people would cite that as being a bad thing. Do you mean that the highs became more detailed? Increased brightness is generally not something that anyone wants.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Options
    Good point Aaron. However, in MY case, and perhaps the case of other old farts, the additional brightness MAY compensate for natural high end roll-off due to aging, or repeated exposure to those damn turbofan engines, and put things back on an even keel. Just a thought.

George "Huh?" Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited September 2001
    Options
    I also am using RT16's and a CS350LS with RT12's as surrounds. I had to upgrade to the trilams just because it seemed like the sound would be matched better if everything is equal. The surrounds DID become more detailed. Upgrade to the trilams!