quick and then continues to play and will continue to do this if not turned
down... is this a power problem or does it have to do with the tuning of the
amp??
Post edited by jhornsbee1 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    More than likely, its your amp going into protect. What kind of amp is it and what ohm load do you have it running at?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jhornsbee1
    jhornsbee1 Posts: 9
    edited January 2008
    It's a kenwood kac-9103d 1800watt running at 4 ohms which peaks at 500 rms. The sub is a 12" alpine SWR-1242D which when wired is 500 peak rms at 4 ohms also. But if the amp was going into protect wouldn't it stay off, because mine stops and the continues playing after like 1/2 a second to a second??
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    How high is the gain set? It shouldnt be any higher than the "noon" position.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2008
    jhornsbee1 wrote: »
    But if the amp was going into protect wouldn't it stay off, because mine stops and the continues playing after like 1/2 a second to a second??

No. Lots of amps have the protect mode to prevent clipping. Some amps have multiple staged clipping protection which would entail a soft stop like warning lights and such and a hard stop where signal is cut. No signal to play, you get a flat like going to the speakers and no power output because there is no signal to amplify. It doesn't flip a breaker or something it just cuts off the signal input, not the power input. The fused power circuit is what protects the amp's power circuits.

It could be heat too. If the gains are set too high, you could be over-working the power circuits and they are generating more heat than the amp can dissipate. If that's the case, you must really be cooking that Kenwood because it's been my experience that they don't usually have heat problems.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    I honestly dont hate many amplifiers, but I've had nothing but problems with that particular line of amps. I'd try investing in a new one if the funds are available, if not, lower your gain.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it