Have a car repair question...exhaust related

edbert
edbert Posts: 1,041
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Alright, so the catalytic converter on my car has gone out on me and I need to get it replaced. It has 170K miles on it so I guess something finally had to go. Anyway, does anyone know what the average cost of replacing one would be? I will be purchasing the catalytic converter myself and then was going to take it to a muffler shop to get the work done. I have called a few places this morning and most have just given the generic, "Well, it just depends on what we run into?" Whatever. I just need a basic idea on how much it would cost to get the old converter cutoff and a new one welded on.

Just to throw it out there, I am aware that there is a bigger issue that caused my converter to fail and will be trying to address all of those things as well. Thanks again!
I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
Monitor 30's - surrounds
CS1 - center
PSW10 - I'll let you guess
Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
Sony Progressive scan DVD
XBOX

SOPA since 2008
Here's my stuff.
Post edited by edbert on

Comments

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    What kind of car do you have? There are some cars that have bolted on cats, some welded, etc.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited January 2008
    edbert wrote: »
    Alright, so the catalytic converter on my car has gone out on me and I need to get it replaced. It has 170K miles on it so I guess something finally had to go. Anyway, does anyone know what the average cost of replacing one would be? I will be purchasing the catalytic converter myself and then was going to take it to a muffler shop to get the work done. I have called a few places this morning and most have just given the generic, "Well, it just depends on what we run into?" Whatever. I just need a basic idea on how much it would cost to get the old converter cutoff and a new one welded on.

Just to throw it out there, I am aware that there is a bigger issue that caused my converter to fail and will be trying to address all of those things as well. Thanks again!

I can not give a quote because I have always done it myself.

But in my experience it is usually just a bad converter and nothing else. After so many miles they just tend to clog up and need replaced. Once you you have it replaced you'll probably be fine for a long time. It probably couldn't hurt to have the o2 sensor changed also. Its cheap and its usually right there close to the converter.
  • edbert
    edited January 2008
    Thanks strider, I knew I forgot something.

99 Toyota Corolla. You can replace the piping from the header back to the muffler with the cat already in place(which I might end up doing but that is why I was trying to do a quick price comparison). So basically you would have to weld on a new one unless you wanted to purchase the whole thing.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    I can not give a quote because I have always done it myself.

But in my experience it is usually just a bad converter and nothing else. After so many miles they just tend to clog up and need replaced. Once you you have it replaced you'll probably be fine for a long time. It probably couldn't hurt to have the o2 sensor changed also. Its cheap and its usually right there close to the converter.

Wow, you seem to know a lot about this stuff. I also have a similar problem in which the exhaust is rusting: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62150

Would the catalytic converter be bad in my case?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Talking to a couple of guys, you're looking at about 2 hours labor to replace the cat with an OEM replacement; that'd be about $185 here. You still need to do some cutting to get it off, however. They put it back on with a sleeve clamped on to the pipe rather then a weld.

If you're going with an aftermarket equivalent, it would be a cheaper repair, even if welding is necessary. One caveat with an aftermarket cat, quality is suspect. The guys I talked to had a customer who had one installed that had continual problems with it. The shop that installed it kept throwing O2 sensors at it until they finally tried replacing the just replaced cat. It fixed the problem, but only after spending a bunch of coin on O2 sensors. If you're interested in trying to replace the cat yourself, with a Toyota part, and have any questions, let me know. I've got 25 guys here to ask.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • edbert
    edited January 2008
    I would be getting a magnaflow/carsound cat, not just some ebay el cheapo deal. I generally do all the work myself on my car, but I thought that this might be out of my league. Let me ask you this(and I am assuming some things here), if I know someone with a welder and some experience, is this something they could tackle for me?

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    I would be getting a magnaflow/carsound cat, not just some ebay el cheapo deal. I generally do all the work myself on my car, but I thought that this might be out of my league. Let me ask you this(and I am assuming some things here), if I know someone with a welder and some experience, is this something they could tackle for me?

I don't think it would be terribly hateful. If you 've got experience and know someone who can weld, why not? Only thing I could see giving you a problem would be is the welding, dependent upon where the weld needs to be done. I'm assuming it would be after the cat, and in that case it probably wouldn't be that bad. Just need to lower the back half of the exhaust to get the top portion of the pipe welded.

Check that: do you have access to a lift? Otherwise it could be a real PITA to weld!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • edbert
    edited January 2008
    I would just unbolt the whole thing from the car. You can unbolt it from the flange where it meets the header and then after the resonator before the muffler. I think I know a few guys who might be able to help me out. Thanks!

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    I would just unbolt the whole thing from the car. You can unbolt it from the flange where it meets the header and then after the resonator before the muffler. I think I know a few guys who might be able to help me out. Thanks!

No problem at all.

Sounds like you should be fine getting it done yourself. Soak those bolts with penetrating oil now!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    It can be tricky lining things up sometimes. I've seen exhausts not properly fitted that rattle continuously against the undercarriage (on deceleration etc., you get an annoying knock knock knock sound ...). Just a thought on something to watch out for.
    Alea jacta est!
  • edbert
    edited January 2008
    If I can't find a friend with quite a bit of experience and who is anal about getting it done right, I will probably just end up taking it somewhere. Thanks!

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    edbert, too bad you do not live in oklahoma! no inspection in the state! Just core out the cat and get a lil performance enhancement out of it! J/K. Changing out the exhaust and cats is not as hard as you think it would be, whether its bolt on or wielding.
  • tbyrne
    tbyrne Posts: 43
    edited January 2008
    If you go DIY, you gotta get it on a lift - I had my muffler replaced recently & the lift made a hard job easy.