Job recommendations?

dane_peterson
dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hey guys,
I've been kind of lurking around the boards for the last couple months. Home theater stuff (for the most part) has been put on hold with the baby on the way. The other exciting news is that we just purchased a townhouse! Finally getting out of the renting scene... a good move.

I don't know if I'm going to have any luck here, but I've been struggling with this situation over the last month or so. Maybe it's just stress from having a baby on the way, but I'm very concerned as to how we're going to get by. My wife and I both work for Starbucks... she a Shift Supervisor, and I a Store Manager. One of us is going to have to stay home with the child... realistically being me. But Katie's nearly done with school (1 semester left), and I'd hate to see her put that permanently on hold...

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone's aware of any good job opportunities these days. I've been with Starbucks for 3 years, and it's been a good run. But being open 18 hrs/day and getting calls at all times of day/night, I'm thinking I'll need a change. Looking for $40k+ year... No college. :\

Your opinions are always appreciated. Thanks guys!
Post edited by dane_peterson on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    First off congrats on the new home. When is you new "bundle of joy" due to arrive. It's great watching that beautiful new life make its debut into the world. My son is 24 and I remember as though it happened this morning.

Have you thought about some of the electronic tech schools? I don't mean immediately but after things settle down and your wife gets settled. You can get an accelerated associates degree and they all invariable find you your first job which would most likely bring you close to your monetary goal.

A piece of advise that you should well heed . . . don't allow yourself to stress out over the financial situation. It will just cause you and maybe your wife problems and beside nothing has ever been solved by worry.

Just a thought.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    You get capped out pretty easy working in electro-mechanical arenas. That's why I'm no longer in the industry.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Start taking civil service tests.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Ok you've been with Starbucks for 3 years. A little time there. Have you thought about maybe moving up the food chain and going into the Operations side of the company? Maybe Construction management? Ok. so you don't have any background in construction management. You do have management experience and once you had your foot in the door I'm sure you could do better than $40k a year. I've built a number of Starbucks both ground-up and build-out. Let me tell you they are all the same for the most part. That makes it easy for you. All the same vendors on every store. Cost between the various stores will be determined by total square feet and equipment needs. Once you have this down all you need to do is take bids and manage the completion of the store to meet openings. A few changes will come along but these will be easy with a few stores under your belt. In the mean time all you have to do is ask.

Being a manager you already know the operations side of the store. This should be a no-brainer for you. Just a thought.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dane_peterson
    edited January 2008
    Everyone,
    Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it. I've climbed the Sbux ladder pretty quickly, honestly. But I'm afraid I've hit a wall in the growth area. Once you become a store manager, it's that way for quite some time before you can pursue further opportunities.

As for schooling, I might have to get back to that, but we'd need to get the wife to finish her Bachelor's first. I'll look into it however.

I'm typically not the person to worry about stuff like this. I guess my biggest concern is time... if we had more of it, the financial situation would fix itself. But with both of us working (inconsistent schedules), what do people do to make things work for their little one?

He's due June 3rd, by the way. We're thrilled. :)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You get capped out pretty easy working in electro-mechanical arenas. That's why I'm no longer in the industry.

I disagree. There are so many branches that start from that root that you could take. What I studied in school was the basis for what I ended with in a career.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited January 2008
    Store up $$$, stay at your current job, let her take 12-18 months off from job and school. Once the little one is healthy, P-trained, daycare is easier. Let her finish school get her career started, then you can seek out your next venture even if you have to step back in earnings for awhile.

Make your moves deliberate and planned out. Stability helps you both get through the tough times you have yet to experience.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    How about the Fire Dept.? That's usually a good paying gig with great benefits, hours and retirement.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    I suppose that selling all the stereo gear to help finance the remainder of the wife's education is out of the question. ;)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
    Start your own business. It's one of the few areas that someone without a college education can make a ton of money. Easier said than done. Be prepared to make some sacrifices and work long hours.

Someone mentioned civil service. The Postal Service and other Government jobs offer great opportunity. In most case you need to know someone, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. So go for it!

Good luck!
    Carl

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2008
    Just throwing this out there, because this is where it all started for me.

How about the Military? Join for a few years, collect GI Bill. Don't forget the benefits of being married, medical, dental, etc...

Just a viable option...
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there, because this is where it all started for me.

How about the Military? Join for a few years, collect GI Bill. Don't forget the benefits of being married, medical, dental, etc...

Just a viable option...

I spent six years in, and believe me, the GI Bill is not near enough to survive on....I'm doing it now... The reason I get by is because I was awarded disability from VA after that spectacular medical care (or lack thereof), and the fact that I made 6K taxable wages last tax period (due to deployment)....There is no real benefit to being married in the military either, and chances are he wouldn't be around to see his kid grow up either. I'm far from anti-military, but lets look at this realistically....I have known a lot of guys who have missed the first three-four years of their child's life, and it straight up sucks. Not saying don't join, but at least have your eyes open if you decide to...
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2008
    I spent six years in, and believe me, the GI Bill is not near enough to survive on....I'm doing it now... The reason I get by is because I was awarded disability from VA after that spectacular medical care (or lack thereof), and the fact that I made 6K taxable wages last tax period (due to deployment)....There is no real benefit to being married in the military either, and chances are he wouldn't be around to see his kid grow up either. I'm far from anti-military, but lets look at this realistically....I have known a lot of guys who have missed the first three-four years of their child's life, and it straight up sucks. Not saying don't join, but at least have your eyes open if you decide to...

Hello Bill,

Like I stated, it was a viable option, and there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm not saying that you can survive off the GI Bill as a whole, but it definetly helps out when you're trying to get a degree. I'm from IL, and let me tell you it's a BIG benefit for me. State pays full tuition, and the GI bill is straight tax free money that I used for my mortgage.

The military is also not for everybody, some like it, some hate it. I can't complain, the military got me a job today that pays me well over 6 figures, even though I'm not home at this time to enjoy it. Again, it's just an option and definetly better than living on the streets.

Mike
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Congrats, and good luck! It will be tough, but fun, enjoy it.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2008
    Dane,
    Speaking of recent experience in having kids and doing a financial inventory, I say that you are going throught the normal emtions of having your first child. My wife and I were paranoid when we first learned that she was pregnant that we wouldn't be able to afford it, etc. Simply put, you always find a way!!!!!! When that baby comes, it will be the happiest day of your lives and evey resource that you have will be earmarked for the child - home theater, whatever other hobbies you have will seem trivial to you for a LITTLE WHILE. Just listening to your story, there have been others that i know that have succeeded in having kids on far less, but if you are worried about money my vote is to try UPS or FEDEX. Typically, you canbe at work by 5 am and home by 1 or 2 pm. Plenty of time for your wife to get to an evening class and a chance for you and the baby to spend quality time together. They pay pretty well too. Just my .02.

Good luck and enjoy the process man. We welcomed our 2nd child on the 1st of the year and I had the same feelings all over again. I can't really explain it, but it just seems to work out fine in the end.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited January 2008
    Don't put a hold on her education. Find a way for her to complete her bachelor's ASAP so you can start on yours. It's a very rewarding experience that will exponentially help you in your quest for a more secure living. Congrats on the new baby as well. 2nd best thing to happen to me in my life are my 2 little girls (my wife is #1). There's always money in IT, and much of it can be self taught. Get your foot in the door at a networking or retail outfit as a manager and go from there.
  • dane_peterson
    edited January 2008
    Lots more great suggestions guys. You rock.
    I'm honestly already feeling better getting a little verbal support. I have to fly to work, but I'll try to get back to you individually when I return. Club Polk rules!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Dane:

Look for warehouse operations, prefferably one (I can't belive I'm saying this) that has a union. Just walking up and down in order line throwing cases on a conveyor can start at $17-18/hr in a union shop. Add in OT and you're over $40k. Plus they generally have decent bennies and odd hours. If you are interested, I can see if we do work with anyone up there.

Good luck!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    Dane: jdhdiggs brings up a great point. Look for Union jobs as they may pay significantly more!

http://www.uaw.org/resrch/rbart.cfm?rbid=11

Union Workers Earn More

Four times a year the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) publishes a report on Employer Costs for Employee Compensation. Unfortunately, BLS does not publish figures covering public sector workers. The latest data from the BLS show that union workers in the private sector earn significantly more than their non-union counterparts. As the table below shows, the union advantage in wages and salaries was $4.11 per hour in March 2004; that’s worth over $8,500 for full-time, full-year workers. The advantage grows to $9.66 per hour ($20,000 per year) when benefits are included in the calculation.