msconfig.exe

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Ok.. sometimes i don't want programs on my computer to run in the background. i go into their settings or properties.. and try and disable them. but only to find out that when i go into start up program's listing using msconfig.exe i find they are still running in the back ground.

so needless to say. i have quite a few programs that I don't need or use taking up valuable resources on my old computer. any other way to disable it from running in the background on the task bar so it doesn't take up resources?

i don't want to uninstall the programs.. just have them not run in the background when i have no intention of using that program for weeks or months some times.

don't think this is anything useful but my computer is only running win XP on 512 megs ram. so any ram i can get back would be a good thing.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    nevermind

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    You can also manually disable services from running in Administrative Tools > Control Panel. Trial and error, but if something else is dependent upon it, and you use that, you'll have to go back and enable.
    Try Process Explorer. Google. It's like task manager on steroids. You can see the thread, writes, location, whether it uses TCP/IP, and more useful stuff. It will also validate each process to make sure it's the real deal and not an exploit.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    some programs 'auto-add' themselves to your msconfig startup screen whenever the program is accessed. is this your issue? it's a hard battle to win. good luck db.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    BIZILL wrote: »
    some programs 'auto-add' themselves to your msconfig startup screen whenever the program is accessed. is this your issue? it's a hard battle to win. good luck db.

Yeah, i think that is the problem. some programs yeah i do want to have running in the background... and I know XP has it's own that have to run in the background.

but when things like photo programs or AIM or any of those.. I don't think to me they should have to be running in the background if I don't intend to use them for days or weeks, etc.

Seems like when XP came out.. it installed programs to run in the background more so than any previous Window's ever did. I think it's called Quick Start or something like that. I want slow start with mine thanks. ha ha
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    The other tab in msconfig you may want to explore is the "Services" tab. Check the "hide all MS services" and look for anything you don't want running.

I'm with you - every time I install some new software I check the msconfig app to see what it's put in my startup.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3