Ghetto Blaster

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
My buddy, and I just cranked out this dual Kicker L7 in 4 hrs. Not really my flavor, but here it is. I like tight braced sealed boxes with 10's.
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    You put a toilet in the back of your van?
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Its my buddy's van, and the big guy is my buddy. We built it to kickers specs, and he has some sort of BP amp that puts out 1200 watts at 1 ohm. It should hit hard. Tonight he is going to wire it, and we will do some sound test before he finishes it. I need to find my ear plugs for this one.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    and he has some sort of BP amp that puts out 1200 watts at 1 ohm. It should hit hard.

So when he sits in the back like his is in the next to last picture, he is going to a butt and jewel massage?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    He looks like he needs a hug. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • coderjedi
    coderjedi Posts: 8
    edited January 2008
    I do not need a hug.. I was long in need of sub bass frequencies in the greater than 120dB range. I am now satisified, 12 hours after posting. I went to CVS (for those of you who do not have it, it is one of our major franchise pharmacies) shortly after finishing up my install. I went ahead and played my favorite test track to "christen" it, let's say. About 1 minute into the track, 3 local police cruisers come flying into the parking lot, jumping out of their cars. They see me sitting in my van just kinda hanging out, as I turned down my bass when I saw them coming, well used to this sort of stuff. The first officer questions me, "what are you doing here!?" I replied "uhh, well I just finished installing a new system, and I came here to test it. I figured it would be safe here, as there's no homes, mostly commercial stuff. Did someone really complain?" The officer answers "No. We are responding to the CVS security system, the audible alarm went off, indicating a break in." I said "well, I haven't left my van, in fact..." as I opened the back door, "I don't even have room if I did want to break in and steal something!" The cop simply does the raised eyebrow blink and says "holy...****..damn!!" I said yeah, I just finished installing it, I just really wanted to hear it and didn't want to wait til tomorrow." Obviously impressed, he compliments my box design (haha) and tells me that he used to build systems years ago, and that mine was very nice. I said, "Well I'm sorry for causing trouble, I can't believe my bass was actually that loud!" He says, "The audible alarm sounded, and it is LOUD, if you didn't hear it, your bass must be pretty damn loud. I heard you loud and clear over on the main street a way down on my way here." So, amuzed by the fact that he was impressed by my installation, and complimenting me, rather than issuing my rather deserved noise violation ticket, I offered to let him hear it. I said "Since you used to install systems, perhaps you would like to have a listen?" He pauses for a moment, looking back at the other officers, and says "ah, f**k it, whatever, let me hear that thing!" So here I am, at 2:30AM with 3 police units surrounding me, now playing my system for them.. The officer once again does the raised eyebrow blink of disbelief and says "wow, man.. wow.. that's crazy!" as he walks away. I said "Sorry again, have a great night!" and they left.

So that's my story. Funny as hell, and true too! :-)
    May the Decibel be with you, young padawan.
  • Face
    edited January 2008
    Glad to hear they didn't break your chops. Congrats on the new box.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Thats awesome. I never have that kind of luck...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • coderjedi
    coderjedi Posts: 8
    edited January 2008
    Tested with ben62670's dB meter today.. The meter maxed out at 126dB, and just sat on the dash flashing.. I have to find a dB meter capable of higher dB. Argh!
    May the Decibel be with you, young padawan.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    coderjedi wrote: »
    I have to find a dB meter capable of higher dB. Argh!

And some ear protection. The roof was literally flexing 3/4 to 1 inch. I give it a week before his rear wiper motor breaks loose never mind the wiper arm flopping like a fish out of water. A video may be in order:D A before, and after type of video. He showed me where his Chrysler emblem shot off:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    Aside from being loud as hell, how does it sound?
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    That's a cool story but why all that power in a car?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008

Because we can. 'nuff said.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008

Well, thats kinda the same as somebody asking why would you spend so much on this......

2 Ch Rig
    VPI HW 19 Mk IV
    TNT Platter & plinth
    SAMA
    VPI PLC
    The Clamp
    SME Series V
    Black Diamond Racing Cones
    VPI 16.5
    ZYX R1000 Airy 3B Silver Base
    K&K MC LL9206 Step-Up Transformer
    Spectral DMC 10G as phono pre
    Signal Cable MagicPower
    Raysonic CD168
    Oppo DV-970HD
    MF Tube Buffer
    Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 300
    Polk SDA/SRS 1.2 TL RD0198 Bi-wired
    Crossovers w/Sonic Caps & Mills
    MIT MH 750 Shotgun Bi-Wire
    Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    BWaudio(ben62670)Silver PBJ IC's
    Isol Pads

......when a nice Bose Lifestyle system works just fine. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Well, thats kinda the same as somebody asking why would you spend so much on this......

2 Ch Rig
    VPI HW 19 Mk IV
    TNT Platter & plinth
    SAMA
    VPI PLC
    The Clamp
    SME Series V
    Black Diamond Racing Cones
    VPI 16.5
    ZYX R1000 Airy 3B Silver Base
    K&K MC LL9206 Step-Up Transformer
    Spectral DMC 10G as phono pre
    Signal Cable MagicPower
    Raysonic CD168
    Oppo DV-970HD
    MF Tube Buffer
    Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 300
    Polk SDA/SRS 1.2 TL RD0198 Bi-wired
    Crossovers w/Sonic Caps & Mills
    MIT MH 750 Shotgun Bi-Wire
    Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    BWaudio(ben62670)Silver PBJ IC's
    Isol Pads

Yeah, but wheres the fun in that?! ;)
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Maybe I can talk him into using a little bracing to keep the box from tearing itself apart, and tighten the bass a bit.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2008
    You'll need a mic that can take 140 dB. Once you get it tweaked, you should be able to top 140.

That box could def use a few braces.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Sadly, I don't know the best bang for buck when it comes to mics.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »

You know you could get a sweet power inverter to hook up a bose wave radio to your dash. Some black duct tape and you're good to go ;)
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited March 2008
    ShinAce wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't know the best bang for buck when it comes to mics.

Dont feel alone!
  • Face
    edited March 2008