Karma From The North - Triple Play

janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Ok folks, it’s Karma time from the North – My turn.

Up for grabs are the following 3 items.

1. One pair of 2 ft. Signal Cable Analog Two Balanced IC’s – Used but in great condition.
2. One DTS 5.1 Hell Freezes Over CD by the Eagles – Only opened and like new.
3. One genuine Ragged **** Road Ball Cap – Brand New and only in Yellowknife.

Here’s the deal. Select how many items you are interested in and list them in priority. I will select 3 winners. The first selected winner will get their first priority selection. The second winner will get their first selection and if that item has been selected they will get their second choice and so on and so on. If you are winner number two or number three and your selection is not available I will draw another name. For example.

#1 This person selected the following choices and in priority. They are not interested in the cables.
a. CD
b. Ball Cap

If they are the first winner they will receive the CD. If they are the second winner they will get the Ball Cap if the CD has been selected. If the CD was not selected by the first winner they will receive the CD. If they are the 3rd winner and all that is available are the cables I will draw another name as they are not interested in the cables, only the CD and the Ball Cap. Select from one to three items. Simple enough?

The terms are simple as well. You need a minimum of 100 posts and must answer the following 2 questions. Failure to do so will disqualify your entry.

Here are the questions.
1) Why have you selected your first choice? If it’s the CD, tell us why you want the CD.
2) Answer one of the following:
a. Why Yellowknife is called Yellowknife
OR
b. What the hell is is Ragged **** Road.

I’m not looking for details here folks, but BOTH must be answered. So answer question #1 and either a OR b from question #2.

That’s it. Karma closes at 12:00 midnight Pacific Time Sunday January 13, 2008. That should be fair to everyone. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Great Karma(not in though)!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited January 2008
    Cool....I'm in.

1. CD
    2. Ball cap
    3. Cables

Q-1 - The Hell Freezes Over has got to be one of the best reunion concerts ever recorded and I ain't got it :D
    Q-2 - Ragged **** Road
    Ragged **** is a colloquial term for “dirt poor,” and it used to be the name of a small gold mine in the area. However, the story of Ragged **** Road involves three local fellows, a late night and just the right amount of liquid refreshment. The boys decided to rename their street Ragged **** Road. They painted a sign and put it up, in a part of Yellowknife called Old Town. The name stuck, and soon after, Ragged **** Road was adopted as an official street name.

:D:D:D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2008
    In Please...

My choices:
    1. One DTS 5.1 Hell Freezes Over CD by the Eagles – Only opened and like new.
    2. One genuine Ragged **** Road Ball Cap – Brand New and only in Yellowknife.

1) Why have you selected your first choice?
    I choose the cd as my #1 because I don't have this Eagles album in any format AND I have absolutely no cds in DTS! :eek:

2)a. Why Yellowknife is called Yellowknife
    It is named after the Yellowknives, a group of aboriginal people of Canada, in the 1800s.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    I'm in:

1. CD
    2. Cables
    3. Ball cap (what the hell is a ball cap anyways? Some sort of jock strap perhaps?

I want the CD because I like the Hell Freezes Over concert and I've not heard it in DTS 5.1 yet.

Yellowknife got its name for the way the Indians back in the day used to cut open the buffalo. They would first go for the liver and when the knife was removed, it had a yellow hue to it thus they were called the Yellowknife Indians.
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    It's a baseball cap you bunny. You need more fish in your diet. :D
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    janmike wrote: »
    It's a baseball cap you bunny. You need more fish in your diet. :D

Oh the other end!!!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2008
    Great Karma, count me in!!

1st choice: Signal IC's because I have a Camdiidge Audio 840c player coming & it sounds best using balanced IC's. My Krell amp & pre are balanced, perfect timing!

2nd choice: Ball cap because I collect caps & that would be a great addition to my collection.

3d choice: CD because I don't have that one yet.

Answers: Yellowknife was named after the Dene, an Aboriginal group that were the 1st people to settle in what is now the NW territories.

The Ragged **** Road Cap is named after the most famous street in Yellowknife.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    In!!

A. CD as I love the eagels and I dont have this CD
    b. Cable always wanting to try different cables (they do make a difference)
    c Ball cap I dont wear one often but cool

question 1
    See above. I love the eagels and I dont have this CD

question 2
    The Ragged **** Road design depicts a street that dates back to Yellowknife's early years. This street is located in Yellowknife's oldest residential area, an area representative of Yellowknife's early historical gold mining era. Many of the homes located on this street were built during Yellowknife early years.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    I'm in!!

1. CD
    2. Cables
    3. Peace of mind
    4. A new receiver... Hopefully coming soon by me!!

1.) I like the eagles, don't have that album, and don't have any cd's in DTS.
    2.) Ragged **** Road is a name from the old mining railroad that had its' rails torn out by Indians. There have been many people who have seen these raggedy **** Indians, and the road to the spot on that railway was called Ragged **** Road.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    I'm in!

Choices:
    1. One pair of 2 ft. Signal Cable Analog Two Balanced IC’s – Used but in great condition.
    2. One DTS 5.1 Hell Freezes Over CD by the Eagles – Only opened and like new.

Questions:
    1. Why have you selected your first choice?
    I want to see if different cables make a difference in my system.
    2. The name Yellowknife was chosen due to the fact that it was named after the Yellowknifes Dene First Nation, a company that made tools from copper.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Great Karma. In please!!!

1.-Ragged **** Road cap
    2.-CD

Q1: I picked the cap first to use it and when people ask about it I would proudly tell them that this is a unique cap from Yellowknife and that a dear friend gave it to me. I would tell them that Ragged **** is a colloquial term for “dirt poor,” and it used to be the name of a small gold mine in this area. However, the story of the Ragged **** Road in Old Town involves three local fellows, a late night and just the right amount of liquid refreshment (should sound very familiar to a few friends of mine at home). The boys decided to rename their street Ragged **** Road. They painted a sign and put it up, in a part of Yellowknife called Old Town. The name stuck, and soon after, Ragged **** Road was adopted as an official street name.
    Country singer Tom Cochrane named a music album after Yellowknife’s famous street a few years ago. And now one of the hottest local gift items is a full sized (or pint sized) official Ragged **** Road sign. The metal street signs used to disappear so often from the street corner in Old Town, that Yellowknife City fathers declared the signs could be sold to keep the City budget in line.

Q2A: Yellowknife and its surrounding waterbodies were named after the local Yellowknives Dene First Nation, who made tools from regional copper deposits.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    I like my description of Yellowknife the best so I should get the CD!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2008
    Insky !!

My choices are as follows;

1)SC Balanced Cables
    2)CD
    3)Ball Cap

To answer your questions...

1)

A: I chose Balanced Cables because.....I just got a Cary V12 with Balanced inputs and a Parasound Pre Amp that has Balanced outs.....and no balanced cable to hook them up together....I have wanted to try balanced cables for some time now...Perfect timming!

B: My second choice is for the CD because the Eagles ROCK, and it would sound great on tubes..

C: My third choice is for the baseball cap...I still wear a BB cap everyday...backwards of course .. (old habits die hard)..even though the wife says I`m too old to wear BB hats, especially backwards...but I do look stellar in them if I do say so myself...and I do..;)

2)I do not know the answers to either question, but will give it a try..

A]..It`s called Yellowknife because all the old trappers used to carry knives that had brass handles/tanges, and used to hang out in town ....all the hookers used to say,"it was the guy with the "yellow knife" that took my money !!!

2)Ragged **** road was the road leading to town, and it was never maintained...by the time you reached the end of it comming into, or leaving town, the trappers would say, " I had to come down that ragged **** road again !!"

:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    Here's my choices:

1. One genuine Ragged **** Road Ball Cap – Brand New and only in Yellowknife.
    2. One genuine Ragged **** Road Ball Cap – Brand New and only in Yellowknife.

Q1: 1) Why have you selected your first choice?

Because ...... being the fashion hound that I am, I'm looking for that special something that is really going to set off my spring motif !
    Something that says, "WOW !" (as opposed to my usual, "WTF !!!").

(I have the CD and, unfortunately, can't use the cables right now. :o)

Q2: Why Yellowknife is called Yellowknife

Two reasons:

1. That's its name.
    2. Just off the top of my head, I'd add that Yellowknife and its surrounding waterbodies were named after the local Yellowknives Dene First Nation, who made tools from regional copper deposits.

However, I think it should be noted that in the Dogrib language (one of the five official languages of the Northwest Territories that is spoken in significant numbers in Yellowknife), the city is known as Somba K'e ("where the money is").

In the Dene Suline language, Yellowknife means "home of the Ragged **** Road Ball Cap , that would look pretty dang cool on MBBL's noggin".

I think. Not really too sure about that last one, but .... I'd sure hate to be the one to mess with the native spirits !

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    I will have my son draw the winners this evening.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited January 2008
    I'm in!:D

1) cables
    2) cap
    3) dvd

The cables because I definately need to upgrade!;)

The cap because my 23 yr old son is getting out of the hospital after 4 months:eek:! after being in a coma..i see him wearing this cap with pride while he relearns walking and having an additude:cool:

dvd would be for my wifey...not a fan...though joe walsh is a national treasure:p
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    And the winners are as per my son:

Winner #1 - Post#3 - dragon1952 - CD
    Winner #2 - Post#11 - appadv - Cables
    Winner #3 - Post#8 - pearsall001 - Baseball cap

The answers were amusing to say the least. I enjoyed it, thanks.
    PM me your info folks and I will mail these out this week.

PS - And I was going to the shirt thing but not enough respondents.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    Congrats everyone!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited January 2008
    Congrats winners!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2008
    poonuggets !

Congrats to the winners....

Great Karma, thanks !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Congrats!

Ah **** I can't win for loosing anymore!!!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    YAY for losing another one... Oh yeah, Congrats guys!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2008
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited January 2008
    Hey! No kidding!!! :D I tell you man, what a pleasant surprise. Not much has gone right for me in the past year so this is really cool. I swear, I never win anything. Thank you very much and tell your son he is a great picker :D:D:D
    I'm going to dig around and find something to offer up myself I do believe ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the great Karma. I'll wear the cap proudly. Just out of curiousity, how close did we come with our answers?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • janmike
    edited January 2008
    A lot of people were all around the meanings and some were dead on. Great research. Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed this.

Yellowknife, the capital of the Northwest Territories since 1967, is named after the Yellowknives Dene who moved into the area in the early 1800s. It lies within the traditional hunting area of the Dogrib Nation, who re-occupied the land following the decline of the Yellowknife Chipewyans in the 1820s. In 1939, the Yellowknife Administration District was created with the first municipal government of the Mackenzie District being established the following year. By 1940, Yellowknife had a population of 1,000.Yellowknife became a Municipal District in the summer of 1953, at which time its first mayor as elected. In 1967, it was named as capital of the Northwest Territories, and on January 1, 1970, Yellowknife became the first city in the Northwest Territories. The City of Yellowknife adopted a knife icon a few years ago to acknowledge gold mining as the city’s foundation. The knife replicated a copper powder knife used in the mining industry. It was important for the dynamite suppliers to use a copper knife because opening the powder cases with a steel knife could cause sparks. Gold was discovered in 1896 at Yellowknife Bay by miners on their way to the Klondike. There was no great staking rush at this time due to the inaccessibility of the vast territory. It was not until about 1930, with the discovery of pitchblende on Great Bear Lake, and the advent of aircraft travel in the north, that further development took place.

Ragged **** is a colloquial term for “dirt poor,” and it used to be the name of a small gold mine in this area. However, the story of Ragged **** Road involves three local fellows, a late night and just the right amount of liquid refreshment. The boys decided to rename their street Ragged **** Road. They painted a sign and put it up, in a part of Yellowknife called Old Town. The name stuck, and soon after, Ragged **** Road was adopted as an official street name.
    Country singer Tom Cochrane named a music album after Yellowknife's famous street a few years ago. And now one of our hottest local gift items is a full sized (or pint sized) official Ragged **** Road sign. The metal street signs used to disappear so often from the street corner in Old Town, that Yellowknife City fathers declared the signs could be sold to keep the City budget in line.
    And that's the story behind Yellowknife's most famous street.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°