Soundblaster Live 5.1 TO Onkyo Reciever

Cfoster
Cfoster Posts: 7
Hey,
I am thinking about getting a cheap soundblaster live card to export 5.1 surround sound to my Reciever where it will distribute the channels to my speakers. Any suggestions for cables...or if it will even work??
here's a link to my potential card.

Soundblaster live 5.1

"Easily connect to Creative Inspire 5.1 5700 Digital, 5300, and other Dolby Digital-ready 5.1 home theater systems "

Sounds like it would work, i think i just need an optical cable that can convert into whatever slot is on the back of those cards. (i have seen em, i just can't find em)
Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Chuck
Post edited by Cfoster on

Comments

• STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited November 2002
    I have SoundBlaster Extigy hooked up to my Onkyo.....seemed to have the easiest setup...check out the system, all kinds of outputs and inputs, I can also use the Optical out from the Extigy to make direct recorings. Costs a littlie more,about $150.00 but is a very flexible unit.
    Good Luck ...Peace, StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Cfoster
    edited November 2002
    ATCVenom

I can already hook my pc up to my Reciever. My real problem is that i need a card that can output the Dolby 5.1 signal to my reciever. i don't need it to be decoded (thats what my reviever is for)
    The method you're talking about is what i am currently using. But Analog cables can't carry a digital Signal (god bless Dolby Pro Logic 2 :) )

STUFFMD

I have considered the Extigy (it looks super sweet and very flexible...) however, upon reading a customer review of the product this came up.

"There are only a few quirks with this thing (the Extigy) such as not being able to output 5.1 optically "

I find that weird because who really wants an expensive optical jack JUST for a clear signal... (i personally want that digital signal carrying 5.1...)
    maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about?

STUFFMD, does your Extigy output 5.1 optically to your reciever allowing you to have dolby 5.1 with you pc Dvd's?

~Cfoster
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    audigy 2 with dvd audio capabilities. oh yeah baby!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • STUFFMD
    edited November 2002
    Hey Cfoster,
    There is a dedicated Optical OUT on the front of the unit that I would (ASSUME) carries all 5.1. The reason I am not absolutely sure is that I use the plugs in the back...My computer is about 30 feet from my reciever and I wouldn't want to see the price of 30ft of optical, let alone try to find it...LOL. I am looking around for my manual, if I find it I will confirm info for you.
    Peace StuffMD

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Cfoster
    edited November 2002
    Hey MD,
    Thanks for checkin for me. I have an idea...There are 5.1 audio Test clips (the clip says "front left, front right, center, rear left...etc...) If you are getting true Dolby 5.1 from your extigy, it should distribute each line to the appropriate speaker. You can download it somewhere or (from my experience) you can find something similar within your extigy software. It allows you to do what i mentioned above.

Thanks again for checking, (because if it goes well for you, I think i'll go w/ the extigy)

PS: I didn't check, but the first download looks like it may work.

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/trailers.html

CFoster
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    You might check at avsforums too. They have a home theater pc section that might have some advice.
  • STUFFMD
    edited November 2002
    Hey CFoster,
    Haven't run the test yet but I did go to my manual and it shows several times the 5.1 setup through the optical line in front.I 'll see how the test comes out.
    Peace, Stuff

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited December 2002
    I'm a bit late on the post here, but I just found it and haven't been a forum member very long.

I used to have an "original" SBLive w/ the daughter card that had a coax digital out that I hooked up to my Onkyo coax in. Tis was very sweet.

I then upgraded to the Audigy 2 thinking that it has a digital out as well, but it's got some sort of propriatary 3.5mm jack that I haven't figured out yet. I initially though that a 3.5mm mono adapter to female RCA w/ COAX digital interconnect would work, but I only get Front L/R channels to play.

I may have to call Creative to figure this out...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....