System stopped working suddenly!

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just installed my ipod adapter (ipc106), and everything just seemed great. I drove for about 2 or 3 hours, and now all sound went dead.

I have no idea what can it be.

The head unit seems to be working, all the functions work, still reads the CD/USB/Ipod/radio just fine, and it acts as if it's playing them.

The amplifiers are getting power. They both have the green light on as they normally do when working.

Now... if I raise the volume completely on the head unit... all the way to 80. I hear the speakers working.... just very very very low. Still, there's no noises or interference, it's as if the signal was there and just not amplified... or the opposite of amplified.

What could have gone wrong?? I'm really at a loss here, as everything seems to be plugged in ok.

The installation of the ipod connector was pretty straight foward.... I tapped into the ground and power (back up it says) behind the head unit. That cable goes to the ipod control box, and from there there's one cable to the ipod and one to the head unit. I don't know what could have caused any problem there.

Anyway, I hope some of you can help me with any ideas. I"ll try not to think about it until tomorrow when I get to drive.

:(:(:(
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• DemonAstroth
    edited January 2008
    No one has any ideas? I can think of what can't be wrong, but not what is wrong.
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited January 2008
    im sure soon someone should answer

just check again your wires
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    just by chance.... see if u remove all power from ur headunit, leave it unplugged for a about a min or so and plug it back in to reset it... if that does anything, just a shot.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2008
    I will try to reset the head unit, it's a CD7100 which I bought not even 2 months ago...

but I'm getting the feeling that there is a loose wire somewhere.

I went over a pretty big bump and all the audio came back on. It stayed on. Unfortunately, I had unplugged the Ipod controller as if it was the culprit I would know. So when I installed it again, as I was fitting the head unit into the din slot, pushing the wires to make room, the sound died again.

So, it's either a lose wire or the ipod adapter. I don't know :( What wire would cause for all sound to simply go away and yet let everything seem to function normal?

Hopefully the reset works, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend taking it to a car audio store.

:(
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited January 2008
    Sounds to me like its a problem with the signal wires if everything powers on ok, but there is no sound.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2008
    So.... if from the amps (in the trunk) I unplug the wires to the speakers.... and it comes back on. Then I can go one by one until the sound goes away, and I will know which is the problem.

That is starting to make sense. I ran one of those thick cables that have 8 speaker wires plus the ground wire. It goes from the back of the head unit to the amps. And then I soldered from the back of the head unit straight to the tweeters and the woofers in the front doors.

What would cause this? If they're shorting or something?

I will keep trying.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2008
    Welll... no luck.

I was forced to take it to a shop. They checked ALL my wiring, and it's all OK. The headunit was apparently not sending out any signal. They put it a different head unit and it all worked just fine.

I can't believe that I got a defective unit. I have been pretty happy with Eclipse... their amps have been great.

Anyway, as I was taking out the head unit to put in my old one... I hit it (in a bout of frustration), and it came back on. So I dont' know what to do now... I'll probably buy the extended warranty and call it in when all they have is the CD7200. :)