And I thought this kind of Katrina junk was over...

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Victims of Hurricane Katrina are suing the Army Corps of Enginners for trillions of dollars because the levees that broke in New Orleans were built by the corps.

Damage claims against the Army Corps of Engineers after levees failed:

Total number: 489,000

Claims for $1 billion or more: 247

Largest: $3 quadrillion

Largest gov't/business claim: $586 billion

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-01-06-katrina-claims_N.htm?csp=34

People just make me sad sometimes.
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Ridiculous.

It's worth noting here, as with all civil suits, that when you sue the judge decides the damages, not you. So when people sue for "18 quadrillion dollars" it means next to nothing, as the judge is under no obligation to even take that into consideration when determining a punishment.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    They should sue God (the one of their preference) for creating them stupid.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    I'm actually thinking of suing these Katrina Victims for trying to ruin my country and not being considerate to the rest of the Americans who take life's punches and are mature about it.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    And yet, the lawyers CAN'T figure out why there are so many 'dead lawyer' jokes:eek:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    zingo wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking of suing these Katrina Victims for trying to ruin my country and not being considerate to the rest of the Americans who take life's punches and are mature about it.
    And I'd also like to sue them for being dumb enough to be in "Hurricane Alley" in an area below sea level on a soft bed. What the hell did you expect?

The following is a partial excerpt from another forum.....

"A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division . . Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans. Interesting number, what does it mean?

A. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get $516,528.
    B. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.
    C. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012."

I think we, as Americans have helped enough. How about instead, we take all the trash in America, ship it to New Orleans until it is 30' ABOVE sea level, and THEN reinvest into something that might actually stand a chance against another category 4 or 5 hurricane.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    Wow...just wow. Another perfect example of greed overtaking the ability to reason.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Unbelievable! That article should be in the comic section of the newspapers! Wow...
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    Move to an area above sea level or a house boat.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    People like this should be dragged out and publicly shot. The welfare mentality is a disgusting disease.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited January 2008
    Hah this is crazy. The city probably didn't even pay the Army to build that...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    nms wrote: »
    People like this should be dragged out and publicly shot. The welfare mentality is a disgusting disease.

The truth is the truth bro.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's